Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

24 people in CE; 8 bottles of champers loaded...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

24 people in CE; 8 bottles of champers loaded...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
I recall being the only CE passenger on a rtn flight from Granada a few years ago to LCY and being told they'd drunk all the bubbles outbound! I just had a G&T...
Old Feb 21, 2020, 9:55 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
1) BA booked 16 bottles of champagne (8 outbound, 8 inbound) because history tells them that's about what they'll need for a flight of this length.
2) There's an assumption here that BA should have known more champagne was going to be needed because this was the return from Valentine's Day weekend in Prague. I can see the anecdotal argument and it certainly seemed true on this flight, but I don't think we have hard evidence. Are J cabins, even on the weekends and even on Valentine's Day weekend, more likely to be full of businesspeople or couples returning from a romantic getaway? Prague's pretty romantic, but in February? And should BA have booked more champagne on Sunday to/from all their destinations, or just the romantic ones? What's the cutoff for a romantic city that gets extra champagne versus a non-romantic city that doesn't get the extra champagne? There are ways to answer all these questions, of course, but BA is way more likely to have the data to answer them than the OP.
3) The reality is that BA would rather pay you 5,000 Avios compensation for those times they do run out of champagne than constantly overstock a variety of drinks deal with the increased weight across their network and subsequent fuel penalty.
4) Can we talk about this £400 TP run to Prague?
Old Feb 21, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Ive has a run out of drinks or food on a return sector

for those defending BA how can I as someone who has flown 20+ years in premium cabins never have experienced this conundrum on any other airline globally?
aristoph and ttama like this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Misco60
I don't recall many CE flights where as many as half the passengers wanted champagne. It seems to be a particular obsession of this forum, but not so much in the real world.
I’d be interested to know and I expect it’s very route / season specific. If it’s me, for example, on my own, I’d normally have a G&T or a beer but if flying away on holiday with someone and I’m ‘in the mood’ then I might have champagne!
ttama likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 6:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by VSLover

for those defending BA how can I as someone who has flown 20+ years in premium cabins never have experienced this conundrum on any other airline globally?
Cheap CE travel + free Champagne = overindulgance.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by VSLover

If you've never seen or experienced a premium cabin run out of something in 20 years, I want to fly with you!
'andad likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.