Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

16 Feb : BA Heathrow operations disrupted : Systems failures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

16 Feb : BA Heathrow operations disrupted : Systems failures

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2020, 12:58 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ginger50
I’ll come and say hi
My flight was delayed from 0925 to 1100 this morning, but at least we got out and I was home around 2 hours late. Hope you/everyone manages to either get to where they need to go tonight or at least get to a hotel.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
[QUOTE=ginger50;32078946]
Originally Posted by flatlander
Hello from the economy end of the train, where there is not a single empty seat leaving St Pancras (that I could see in any coach). Unfortunately the new Eurostar seats are so bad that I'm typing this sitting on the floor in the corridor because it's more comfortable (until the laptop battery runs out).

I’ll come and say hi
Heh, sure. Now in a better seat, coach 10 seat 3
Old Feb 16, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Rufin
My flight to Glasgow cancelled. have been automatically rebooked onto a flight from Gatwick tomorrow afternoon

waiting to speak to customer services but need to look for accommodation overnight I think. Hopefully I can claim the cost of this back but worried because they said cancellation was because of adverse weather
Hi,

BA still have to provide duty of care regardless of reason ( so hotel accomodation will be covered- a guideline is GBP200 per room IIRC)

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 16, 2020, 1:02 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
I'm due to be flying to ARN tomorrow on the BA780 departing at 13.25 arriving at 17.00 and see it's cancelled. The only option I'm offered in MMB is to leave LHR at 07.30 tomorrow and connect with Finnair which isn't possible. I need to be there sometime tomorrow for a meeting first thing on Tuesday, what's a sensible approach here?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 1:05 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Can't quite see this as being under the airlines' control, so I'd be doubtful EC261 applies. Duty of care definitely though.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 1:07 pm

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Originally Posted by flatlander
Originally Posted by ginger50

Heh, sure. Now in a better seat, coach 10 seat 3
just went through coach 10.... where are you seated?

Last edited by Prospero; Feb 16, 2020 at 1:08 pm Reason: Repair quotation frames
Old Feb 16, 2020, 1:07 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Looks quite messy. Good luck to all.
wrp96 and paperwastage like this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Can't quite see this as being under the airlines' control, so I'd be doubtful EC261 applies. Duty of care definitely though.
Legally one would hope that it should be that EU261 applies and the airlines raise compensation issues with the airport which obviously messed up here.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Tigerbo
Well my 20:20 flight to ncl got cancelled - Heathrow is just a mess. Can't get a flight back till 7pm tomorrow - checked trains and can't even get a ticket. Can I claim loss of earnings from BA?

I Am convinced its only be cancelled because the 18:05 is delayed to 20:17....so same time as my flight. Disgraceful behaviour if that's the case as its sunny in London and in Newcastle I have been told
If you’re prepared to risk standing* you should be able to still get a train ticket up to Newcastle. There’s one just before 9pm, another just before 10pm. You would get in late but if the alternative is waiting for (possibly cancelled) flights first thing...?

* You’re probably too late for a reservation, but even with people who have postponed travel/transferred from a plane, I doubt the late trains will be that full on a Sunday night heading north. The few times I’ve been on ones even leaving KGX 7-8ish on a Sunday, they’re practically dead after Peterborough
Old Feb 16, 2020, 1:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Mike P
I'm due to be flying to ARN tomorrow on the BA780 departing at 13.25 arriving at 17.00 and see it's cancelled. The only option I'm offered in MMB is to leave LHR at 07.30 tomorrow and connect with Finnair which isn't possible. I need to be there sometime tomorrow for a meeting first thing on Tuesday, what's a sensible approach here?
There is some availability on SK services (not much though) so if you get through to a contact centre they may be able to rebook you. Or go to LHR and see if they can help there.. Otherwise consider going to LGW for the Norwegian service at 13:10. As they aren't IATA ticketers I think you would have to book that yourself and hope the BA refund covers it. Or go to Stansted, if you're in Cambridge, Ryanair have flights to Skavsta and Västerĺs, whereever they may be!
Old Feb 16, 2020, 1:14 pm

Help please.... I was on a flight to BRU today that was cancelled, then rebooked for tomorrow, and have just discovered tomorrow's flight has been cancelled.

I'm already in a hotel courtesy of BA. The rebooking options are too far out to be useful, so I'm thinking of cancelling and trying something else (Eurostar, ferry?).

Does my having accepted the hotel and a rebooking (which has now been cancelled) complicate getting a refund?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 1:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Does my having accepted the hotel and a rebooking (which has now been cancelled) complicate getting a refund?
No, I don't think so, since you are still a customer at the moment. So I would claim the airfare back after tomorrow. If a flight is cancelled there is an absolute right to a refund, you only get duty of care while you are a customer however.
windowontheAside likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by etiene
I guess they’d also be hoping that they can blame the IT failure on the weather too...?
That's exactly what they're doing. My LYS-LHR tomorrow has just been cancelled with reason listed as 'weather' which is highly suspicious given that it came in the middle of a raft of systems-failure cancellations.

But I guess BA could reasonably call the airport's failure an extraordinary circumstance?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Currently stuck in Amsterdam waiting for the BA442, earlier inbound not on its way neither, let’s see what’s gonna happen with other AMS services already cancelled.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Erwin10
Currently stuck in Amsterdam waiting for the BA442, earlier inbound not on its way neither, let’s see what’s gonna happen with other AMS services already cancelled.
I’m at the gate for 442 - there are gate agents, but they’re waiting on a manager? Think it’s to do with the system being borked. Some screens back on but showing the wrong gates too. Continual slippage at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.