BA1395 evacuated because of smoke

Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:49 am
LPQ
Original Poster

Programs: TG *G 20 years
BA1395 evacuated because of smoke

Passengers asked to evacuate calmly and with consideration for each other and leaving bags. Smoke at the back. We were awaiting departure with doors closed.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I hope you and the others on board are OK. And I hope that people did indeed leave their bags behind!

That's Manchester to London, which hasn't taken off by the looks of it, so it's still in Manchester. An Airbus 319, G-EUPD.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:54 am
LPQ
Original Poster

Most passengers have left their luggage as told.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:03 am
LPQ
Original Poster

I have counted 20 passengers off the plane with their wheelie bags. It was a full flight.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LPQ
I have counted 20 passengers off the plane with their wheelie bags. It was a full flight.
Personally I would rip up their tickets. Just as well I'm not in charge!
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:12 am
LPQ
Original Poster

Cabin crew retrieving the hand luggage seat by seat. The two pilots have left the aircraft with their belongings. CSM circulating in assurance mode albeit with no information to give.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Not an evacuation but a rapid disembarkation.
Genius1 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
Maybe they are just being reported more often and getting more airtime, but this type of thing seems to be happening with increasing frequency. Just as well incidents so far have been at, or within easy reach of an airport.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Not an evacuation but a rapid disembarkation.
Surely any unscheduled disembarkation - particularly without a diversion - is an evacuation, regardless of speed?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by LPQ
Cabin crew retrieving the hand luggage seat by seat.
Now that information is reassuring. Previous information (from the US) indicated that on average it takes 6 weeks to reunite passengers with their luggage - and this only if they have a permanent residency within the respective country. I think if passengers knew, they would be reunited with their luggage, that would help to convince them to leave it on board during evacuation.

Last edited by swiss_global; Feb 16, 2020 at 8:26 am
Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Surely any unscheduled disembarkation - particularly without a diversion - is an evacuation, regardless of speed?
No they are different.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
An evacuation is where slides are deployed and where it's deemed there's an immediate need to get away from the aircraft as quickly as possible. A rapid disembarkation would be where it's determined there isn't an immediate danger to life or aircraft and not necessary to initiate an evacuation. Keep in mind that passengers and crew can sustain significant injuries during an evacuation by using escape slides (think friction burns, sprains and franctures). It's not always appropriate to do this when steps and/or jetty if still connected or in the vicinity would do the job as well if not better than a slide.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, Hilton Diamond, MLife Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
BA1395 - crew member affected

After around 3 hours the flight was eventually cancelled, we headed to the lounge and the staff did an amazing job to get all off quickly and calmly.

They did not actually say leave bags, bust most did like my wife and I, but due to issues de-boarding with scanning passes and at the top of the jet bridge many were held behind a door and on the jet bridge for a good 15 minutes.

We are now reunited with bags and rebooked to Male with QR, on our way from the lounge to collect our checked bags we saw paramedics tending to a member of cabin crew affected by fumes.

After exiting arrivals having a coffee and adjusting our new plans, we saw the cabin crew leave together all looking fit and well.

Looking forward to sampling Q suites on this trip now but even more pleased that everyone was OK after the event.
argonath, AJA_, plunet and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 2:29 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Personally I would rip up their tickets. Just as well I'm not in charge!
Thankfully I haven't so far had to evacuate a plane using slides. Would certainly be assisting the crew by throwing off the plane any forbidden items that may jeopardise the slides and the speed of evacuation. Some may say it's wrong, but it's so maddening to see all the cases where people lugg with them baggage in an evacuation. SU, EK, AA...

This is just something that makes my blood boil and had to get it off my chest now.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 2:52 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
Thankfully I haven't so far had to evacuate a plane using slides. Would certainly be assisting the crew by throwing off the plane any forbidden items that may jeopardise the slides and the speed of evacuation. Some may say it's wrong, but it's so maddening to see all the cases where people lugg with them baggage in an evacuation. SU, EK, AA...
& BA at LAS...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.