Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Headphones

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Headphones

Apologies if this has been asked before, I couldn’t find a dedicated thread, just passing mentions elsewhere.

My flights are still a few months away but I like to plan in advance! I will be flying out to YYC in WTP (789) and returning from YVR( A380) in CW, just wondering on the quality and more importantly comfort of the provided headphones.

I’m not an audiophile (just want to hear clearly) and as an Apple fanboy my day-to-day headphones are AirPods (with backup being the lightning connected headphones supplied with my iPhone).

I’m generally not a fan of over-ear headphones for long periods, on previous long haul flights (back in Y) I have used my own (now sadly broken, my own fault) Sennheiser in-ears.

So my questions are
1) Are the WTP/CW headphones comfortable for the entire flight?
2) If I’m going to be using my own should I invest in either a Bluetooth adapter to use my AirPods or just a half decent (likely to be Sennheiser’s) in-ear
3) If using my own do I need to remember my 2-pin adaptor (I’ve got one somewhere).

Many thanks in advance.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Buy a blue tooth adapter and enjoy your own. I don’t find even the new(ish) F headphones comfortable and always use my QC35s
turncol and acucobol like this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by turncol
1) Are the WTP/CW headphones comfortable for the entire flight?
2) If I’m going to be using my own should I invest in either a Bluetooth adapter to use my AirPods or just a half decent (likely to be Sennheiser’s) in-ear
3) If using my own do I need to remember my 2-pin adaptor (I’ve got one somewhere).
If you are used to Bluetooth sound quality (which takes quite a hit on the full soundwave compared to a wired connection) you would probably find the noise quality on the supplied CW and WTP headphones to be acceptable. Comfort is entirely subjective, but suffice to say the overwhelming majority of passengers seem happy to use the BA supplied headsets from end to end. Now that is for people plugged into movies rather than music, and 787-9 aircraft is reasonably quiet. If you are doing a lot of flying then a BT adapter certainly makes it easier to live wire-free, but if you want sound quality you're not going down the BT route. I also find in-ear much more comfortable, and I use the Shure range since their earplugs adapt to the ear channel shape.

You don't need a 2 pin adapter, the second socket on BA is for noise cancellation and the main socket is suitable for the standard 2 conductor TS 35mm plug used in most devices.
MNMAA likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You don't need a 2 pin adapter, the second socket on BA is for noise cancellation and the main socket is suitable for the standard 2 conductor TS 35mm plug used in most devices.
Thanks, just the information I was looking for!

I won’t be flying that regularly so might see if the wee Bluetooth device I use in the car for will work, or just pickup a £20 in-ear set just incase (TBH I could do with a set for use at work)
Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:43 am

Personally I've bought myself a Sony WH-1000XM3 for some long flights. Its great. The NC is sublime and you can hear the music crisp and clear.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: Yes
If you are used to Bluetooth sound quality (which takes quite a hit on the full soundwave compared to a wired connection)
Depending on the device (both at the sending and the receiving end), there are several different audio codecs that can be used over Bluetooth, and while the standard SBC codec is universally recognized as being poor, I'd challenge anyone to tell the quality difference when AAC or APT-X are being used, especially in a plane environment, and especially considering that most people will be watching movies, listening to Spotify etc. that are already compressed one way or another.
So that's worth looking out for when choosing a Bluetooth adapter and headphone.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 10:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I never bothered looking in detail when I flew (got the QC35s) but do the A350s have something better in CWS? I just put them away each time and never bothered looking - maybe I should have!
Old Feb 16, 2020, 2:30 pm

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
As an aside....good idea for frequent travellers to invest in good headphones for personal comfort but also minimize use of disposable headphones.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 3:12 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by miicker
Personally I've bought myself a Sony WH-1000XM3 for some long flights. Its great. The NC is sublime and you can hear the music crisp and clear.
Another vote for these, changed to them after my QC25s broke last year and they are a masisve improvement. They seem to consistently 'beat' the QC35s in reviews.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Surely a 3 conductor TRS plug on stereo headphones? Regardless, they will work fine.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:42 am

Agreed, they’ve really improved my in flight entertainment experience and also help me sleep
Old Feb 17, 2020, 5:56 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Er, wouldn't it be best to buy some more Sennheiser in-ear headphones?

If you used to like them, they have not lost their abilities! I am addicted.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by ajdj
Agreed, they’ve really improved my in flight entertainment experience and also help me sleep
same here. I often get 30 min sleep on my regular LHR-BRU hop
Old Feb 17, 2020, 8:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Another up-vote for these from me, had some Creative Audio NC headphones before, these new Sony ones are miles better. On an old A319 the other week I could bareley hear any engine noise at all in the exit row!
Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Recommendations
Bowers Wilkins small form factor wired or bluetooth
Sennheisser on ear momentum. Currently good bang for bucka s old model phased out and can be had for a reasonable price

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.