Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Digital inflight magazine trial

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2020, 5:47 am
Original Poster

New Digital inflight magazine trial

Just arrived into a veeeery windy LHR and today’s A321 had this. Apparently is a new trial where you can browse the magazines by connecting to the wifi and downloading them. Not a bad idea if you ask me and it worked even if the wifi was saying “no signal”. Saves paper, weight, fuel and is “DNA-approved” by Alex.

Old Feb 15, 2020, 5:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And the links work fine on the ground too:

https://highlife.canvasflow.io

https://businesslife.canvasflow.io

They already were available as apps.
13901 and tynmar like this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:29 am

The jury’s still out on whether this counts as ‘DNA-approved’... they may save weight, but if no one reads them any more then advertising revenue will plummet. I guess it depends whether you believe people actually seek out these magazines or whether they just flick through them ‘because they’re there’. I know which group I’m in...
T8191, Quark999 and orbitmic like this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
I wonder if this is the start of other digital services on the non screen short haul aircraft list digital maps etc. Certainly an improvement as often the magazines are missing by the end of the month or look alot worse for ware.

I am guessing the aircraft will download these onto local storage when on the ground rather than as and when in the air.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Confus
The jury’s still out on whether this counts as ‘DNA-approved’... they may save weight, but if no one reads them any more then advertising revenue will plummet. I guess it depends whether you believe people actually seek out these magazines or whether they just flick through them ‘because they’re there’. I know which group I’m in...
Yes, you need to be careful. It is one thing promising to put an ad in 50,000 magazines and let the advertiser make his own guess as to impact. It is another game when the advertiser asks exactly how many people downloaded it AND scrolled past their ad.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 8:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I had this on a recent LHR-ABZ operated by G-NEOP (A321 Neo) both in seat guide and specific announcement about it.

(Image removed, didn't see the OP already included a pic of the seat pocket guide!)
Old Feb 15, 2020, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The only content of the seat pocket I’m interested in is the Safety Card and the precautionary sick bag (never used yet).

Kindle rules, with content of MY choice!
Old Feb 15, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
Noticed this on my WT outbound to DFW this week. The removal of High Life and Business Life gives a marginal improvement of knee room for my big legs, so I for one approve of this enhancement
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 10:16 am
Original Poster

I personally like reading the in-flight magazine. Sure, High Life has gone a bit too 'fancy fashion glossy paper' but there's still John Simpson's column to read and Business Life is quite entertaining. But I'm a sad ......., I read Air Canada's magazine online just because I think it's damn well made.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 10:23 am

Programs: BA, EI, IB, Hilton Honors
Is Business Life still printed? Haven't seen a single copy on board recently.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
count me in that group 2. Plus I spend far too much time on screen and are required to download too many things so digital magazines and papers are already of no interest to me let alone airline inflight stuff (of which Norwegian is my favourite followed by Air France). Anyway, that will be one less pair of eyes on High Life here (or 10 or so a month if you count each flight browse as one which they probably do though maps count for a good 50% of those!)
Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Trent900

Hi

Saw it on my LHR-EDI and vv flight a fornight ago but i do not recall seeing it on LHR-VIE &vv at the same time

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hope they don't go down this route. Inevitable I suppose following on from the introduction of Pressreader. I'm sure there are still many aged luddites like me who don't own a smartphone etc but who enjoy browsing these magazines. Mind you I normally skip over the adverts!!
Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Trent900

Hi

Saw it on my LHR-EDI and vv flight a fornight ago but i do not recall seeing it on LHR-VIE &vv at the same time

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Serious question to all you IT-heavy people. Don’t you have News feed on your devices?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.