Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 2167 seat fire & emergency landing / evacuation

Old Feb 14, 20, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.

Reading from a friend of a friends effusive praise of all BA Staff on the flight yesterday for their incredibly professional response.

A seat fire was caused by.... you can probably guess, a mobile phone dropping down the back of a business class seat.... and... the passenger then crushing it playing around with seat controls.

The flight (to Tampa) made an emergency landing 20 minutes after smoke started coming out the seat to Bermuda to be met by 10 fire engines, and (from my reading of the situation) the pilot announced an immediate emergency evacuation.

The first hand report (from a mum with her children) makes me incredible grateful I wasn't on the flight.

It also appears that after the fire brigade removed the seat, the flight was able to continue after 2.5 hours - it doesn't sound correct, as i'm not sure a plane could continue after slides deployed etc, but it's the first hand report from someone who has gone through some veritable emotions (although declares her love numerous times for all cabin crew, and especially the pilots.

More feedback welcome, but I havn't seen it mentioned so far.

But as an aside - isn't it time that seat designers started to include pockets for phones to be stored & charged, this seems to be one of the newer, modern day hazards that is cropping up more and more?

Last edited by Sam Bee; Feb 14, 20 at 6:04 am
Old Feb 14, 20, 6:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Sam Bee View Post
But as an aside - isn't it time that seat designers started to include pockets for phones to be stored & charged, this seems to be one of the newer, modern day hazards that is cropping up more and more?
While you can design it in, unfortunatel you cannot make people use it.

In my opinion there are plenty of places to safely store a mobile phone.

If the 'guilty party' here is anything like me they were using tbeir phone when they dropped it so having a pocket to store a phone would not help.
imkevinmc likes this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee View Post

Modern seats (e.g. Club suite) have cubby holes, nooks, crannies and all sort of things. Even the old Stretch club has a modification, now, to allow phones to be 'captured' before being lost in the seat. Plus there's of course the announcement at the beginning of the flight and at the end of the flight.

Doesn't make a difference. Phones will be lost, passengers will move the seats, phones will be broken/catch fire. It's a lost battle, a bit like asking passengers not to take their hand baggage with them during an emergency evacuation.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 6:12 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Bronze, SQ KrisFlyer
G-VIIX did indeed continue to Tampa before returning to LGW this morning.

It is scheduled to operate BA2273 to JFK this afternoon.
Old Feb 14, 20, 6:14 am
KNM

A good friend of mine was on the flight and she said they didn't evacuate using the slides. There was some concern that the plane's electrical systems were affected and they couldn't guarantee the safety of the plane. It had to be checked by the fire service and was obviously deemed safe to continue.

Looking at the path they took, it seemed unusually south to me, presumably to avoid the storms. It was just as well in the end as they were so very close to Bermuda when they diverted.
Sam Bee and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 7:39 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
FWIW, BA's own flight status tracker shows the flight arriving in Bermuda at 16:26 and departing again at 18:11, with an arrival in Tampa at 19:57, about 2.5 hours behind schedule.
Old Feb 14, 20, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
It's a lost battle, a bit like asking passengers not to take their hand baggage with them during an emergency evacuation.
With the difference that if, one day, a plane load of passengers dies because of a mobile phone fire, the original source of the fire may be traceable by the investigation (unlike the attributability of any particular injury or death to any particular piece of hand baggage). And if it is, then action may finally be taken.

In the meantime, cabin crew will just have to keep honing their firefighting skills.
Old Feb 14, 20, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The cabin crew carried out a rapid disembarkation which is something that we are trained to do, this is not the same as an emergency evacuation.
Old Feb 14, 20, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
The cabin crew carried out a rapid disembarkation which is something that we are trained to do, this is not the same as an emergency evacuation.
Thanks for the clarification CIHY - what does that mean? Does it require steps bought to the aircraft? She did say the pilots called out 'Evacuate evacuate' over the tannoy - but I couldn't tally that with the fact the plane took off a few hours later so didn't mention it.

I think she would have proposed to each and every BA crew member so effusive was her praise for the professionalism of your colleagues.
Old Feb 14, 20, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It would have been using steps or a jet bridge if available, I don’t know what BDA airport has as I haven’t been there since Tristar days.
The Captain would have given the the cabin crew via the SCCM a NITS briefing detailing the Nature of the emergency, their Intention, Time available and any Special instructions.
I am guessing that the fire and or smoke and were under control and the Captain would have explained to the customers what was going to happen via the PA before landing but I wasn’t onboard so I’m only surmising.
Old Feb 14, 20, 8:33 am

The QR safety video specifically tells passangers not to play with the seat controls if they drop their phone into the business class seat, but to call the cabin crew instead. I thought that was an unusual thing to have in the safety video, but there we are! Didn't appreciate how serious a situation this could cause.
Skipcool3, joeluk and wk989 like this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We also tell customers after takeoff and before landing, it’s part of the SCCM announcements.
Old Feb 14, 20, 8:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It would have been using steps or a jet bridge if available, I don’t know what BDA airport has as I haven’t been there since Tristar days.
It hasn't changed much (you're not that old surely?!). It's wheeled steps from the airport apron at BDA. With the sea visible as you go up the steps to a 777, the faint mix of avgas and sea-salt, and the usually wonderful weather, it's quite an impressive way to leave Bermuda.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really enjoyed my trips to there, but happened in Bermuda stays in Bermuda.
Old Feb 14, 20, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2021), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
We also tell customers after takeoff and before landing, itís part of the SCCM announcements.
This seems to be common to most airlines nowadays when their Biz seats have sliding mechanisms.

Having been a guilty party in losing my phone down a seat (not guilty for using the seat controls, though), I can tell you that it slipped out of my pocket while I was asleep. And it was in my pocket because I was listening to White Noise while resting.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: