Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 2167 seat fire & emergency landing / evacuation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA 2167 seat fire & emergency landing / evacuation

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:48 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
The QR safety video specifically tells passangers not to play with the seat controls if they drop their phone into the business class seat, but to call the cabin crew instead. I thought that was an unusual thing to have in the safety video, but there we are! Didn't appreciate how serious a situation this could cause.
KLM’s safety video does the same but it’s shown as applying across the entire aircraft.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
KLM’s safety video does the same but it’s shown as applying across the entire aircraft.
QR's broadcasts over the full plane (I was in Economy) but only mentions the business class seat.

Having dropped my phone previously (twice) whilst in economy, I can vouch that it typically ends up at the feet of the passenger behind. Or, if you're daft enough to do it on take-off (guilty), the passenger three rows behind. Not great really!
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:49 am

Originally posted by C-W-S:
the faint mix of avgas and sea-salt

Did the esteemed Corporate-Wage-Slave really intend to imply that gasoline-powered piston engines are dominant in Bermuda, or was he thinking of AVTUR?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Can I help you
We also tell customers after takeoff and before landing, it’s part of the SCCM announcements.
Indeed - I’ve certainly noticed it, but I’d always just assumed it was because you didn’t want pax ripping seats apart. Perhaps it would be worth explaining why this is an issue - I can’t believe I’m the only person who didn’t know.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I think it’s pretty clear to be honest, the announcement is below.

If you are seated in our First or Club World cabin please take
care that your personal electronic device does not obstruct the
adjustment of your seat. If your device does get lost within your
seat, please do not move the seat and let one of us know.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Indeed - I’ve certainly noticed it, but I’d always just assumed it was because you didn’t want pax ripping seats apart. Perhaps it would be worth explaining why this is an issue - I can’t believe I’m the only person who didn’t know.

“ If you have any questions, please ask a member of the crew”. I’m still having to explain why you can’t have bags on the floor by the emergency exit, why seatbelts need to be on for take off AND landing AND turbulence, why that large bag needs to go into the overhead locker. Always ask, there isn’t time for a safety video that explains why such things need to be done.
T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I think it’s pretty clear to be honest, the announcement is below.

If you are seated in our First or Club World cabin please take
care that your personal electronic device does not obstruct the
adjustment of your seat. If your device does get lost within your
seat, please do not move the seat and let one of us know.
At least one other airline specifically warns of the risk of fire as the reason not to move the seat. It seems to me that BA could usefully add this to explain and reinforce the instruction.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Possibly an announcement such as "should your mobile phone slip into the seat and thereby start a fire, it will be destroyed, and you will be unable to video the ensuing evacuation for use on Instagram or sale to news agencies" would be more effective.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:50 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
In my opinion there are plenty of places to safely store a mobile phone..
I've found the CW seat to amongst the worst for places to store things. There are no cubbys for eyeglasses or phones, aside from the shoe drawer, and that is inaccessible when the seat is flat. Most other airlines J seats have small storage places for glasses and phones - as does the new suites I hear.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
It's the batteries in modern devices - they can explode when punctured or crushed and lithium-ion batteries burn at a very high temperature. They're not allowed to be shipped as cargo on passenger aircraft - they have to go on dedicated cargo flights. This was brought in after at least two cargo flights were brought down by Li-Ion fires. If one explodes it can quickly take the others it's packed alongside with it.
It's also the reason why personal items with these batteries are better off in the cabin than in the hold. If one does explode it can be extinguished by trained personnel in the cabin if they can access it - in the hold they can burn too hot for standard fire suppression devices installed on aircraft.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
With the difference that if, one day, a plane load of passengers dies because of a mobile phone fire, the original source of the fire may be traceable by the investigation (unlike the attributability of any particular injury or death to any particular piece of hand baggage). And if it is, then action may finally be taken.

In the meantime, cabin crew will just have to keep honing their firefighting skills.
Your comment confuses me, do you believe that mobile devices should be banned?

By speaking of attribution and taking action are you implying that blaming the passenger for an accident that could happen to any one of us, making them a scapegoat for all battery related incidents etc. will solve the problem?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Flythe96flag

By speaking of attribution and taking action are you implying that blaming the passenger for an accident that could happen to any one of us, making them a scapegoat for all battery related incidents etc. will solve the problem?
(Only half tongue-in-cheek)
Whenever it's an e-cigarette battery that goes up people call for them to be banned. Nice to see people saying the same when it's a mobile or laptop!
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Flythe96flag
We'll have to see what needs to be done, if we ever get to that stage. I get the impression that there's a certain amount of keeping fingers crossed in relation to phones and other devices, given the frequency with which they are causing in-flight fires and the relative difficulty of putting them out once they have caught fire. (Unlike many other common fires, you can't just rely on spraying a fire extinguisher over a burning device as that's often not enough to put it out.) I hope we don't ever have one, but the possibility of a major accident caused by a burning device is plain to see. It's the way of the world that if there is a major accident of this kind, then there will be more calls for "something to be done". Then we will see what happens.

So this is about causes of accidents, not blaming specific individuals if there is an accident (even if they are individuals who chose to ignore what was in the safety briefing).
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I will be honest and say that a lithium battery fire is my worst nightmare, I hope I never have to deal with one.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
E-cigs are very dangerous compared to laptops and phones. The construction of e-cigs is much cheaper (therefore worse) than phones or laptops, they're often modified by the users to draw more power from the battery which causes serious safety risks, and they inherently have heating elements next to batteries while laptops have cooling mechanisms and phones have thermal shut-down (if your phone gets too hot it will turn itself off).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.