BA "Holiday" booking

Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB, GGL, IHG, Hilton
BA "Holiday" booking

Interesting experience last week. I am GGL and the company authoriser with OnBusiness (assuming these mean something) and I bought myself and one of my staff (gold) Premium Economy tickets return to LAX from LHR about a day apart both in purchase and travel. Trying to be clever with my ticket I also took the car hire offered at the end of the purchase, other than that the tickets were the same apart from mine being 400 quid more without the car hire. However, I note that mine got zero points (marked as "Package booking") in OnBusiness and the other ticket got credited as normal. Also my employee got upgraded both ways although I didn't, which has got me hero status in the office but left me strangely deflated
Seems booking anything with the flight is a serious error? or am i being unfair?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Roryb
Interesting experience last week. I am GGL and the company authoriser with OnBusiness (assuming these mean something) and I bought myself and one of my staff (gold) Premium Economy tickets return to LAX from LHR about a day apart both in purchase and travel. Trying to be clever with my ticket I also took the car hire offered at the end of the purchase, other than that the tickets were the same apart from mine being 400 quid more without the car hire. However, I note that mine got zero points (marked as "Package booking") in OnBusiness and the other ticket got credited as normal. Also my employee got upgraded both ways although I didn't, which has got me hero status in the office but left me strangely deflated
Seems booking anything with the flight is a serious error? or am i being unfair?
Totally unfair actually. OB tickets earn absolutely nothing and usually with BA they are pretty good at that. Mine have always been booked as flight only and never credited anything, are you absolutely sure that your colleague did get TPs and avios? I'll admit I would be very surprised.

As for upgrades, BA would rather lose a plane or two than upgrade you if it is unnecessary. Your colleague either was on fuller flights than yours or he's a bigger "target" for BA's upgrade algorithm than you or both.

Anyway, stop being jealous of that lucky kid, whether he's got good karma or a faultless BA charm, how he and you booked your OB tickets made exactly zero difference!
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:55 am
Original Poster

To be clear these are both paid cash tickets not redemptions (avios or OB). Both of us earnt full avios and TP. I won't make the mistake of booking a car or hotel with the ticket again.
i get the upgrade piece, I have no lack of volunteers for the next 5 day consulting run!
Old Feb 14, 2020, 1:12 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
BA Holidays are a great way to save money, often avoid Saturday night restrictions.

They do not earn OB points but do earn Avios and TPs and often bonus Avios as well.

As for upgrades, Being a holiday or not has no influence on them, I have know silvers get upgraded before GGL, A good way for BA to trap them in rather than the captive market.

You could have used the Ł400 saving to buy an AUP
Old Feb 14, 2020, 1:15 am

From OB T&C

7.4 Agency discount, Fairs, Tour Operation and package bookings (flight and car / flight and hotel), Groups, VFR, Marine and overall any Corporate discount ( in any of their possible versions/types), On Business Discounts (unless specified), industry discount (including AD/ID bookings), shareholder, and airline employees discount tickets (including hotline and Familiares y Amigos tickets) are not eligible for Reward Points
Old Feb 14, 2020, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Lesson learnt. Didn't actually save anything booking them together.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 1:51 am

You saved Ł400 did you not?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CT-UK
You saved Ł400 did you not?
no he paid Ł400 more due to the car hire. So in the end, it was probably the same for the flight ticket
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:38 am

my bad
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:27 am

I read it that they saved Ł400 by adding the car.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Got to get my English grammar sorted! One plane ticket was 400 quid more than the other. The car added another 100 quid on top of that but would have been the same if booked separately. Basically lost the OB points out of it all.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
BA's OPUP algorithm is both opaque and one of the UK's most closely guarded secret. If anything, it targets people which the algorithm suggests may purchase premium cabins in the future if they are afforded the luxury. Thus, one presumes that your colleague's flight was oversold and that he floated to the top of the algorithm. The price difference is as simple as the fact that you presumably booked the least expensive ticket which met your needs. That could be a different fare bucket as between any given flight and even the same flight booked 10 minutes (or less) apart.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.