Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines to join oneworld

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:58 am

Spent 39k Avios flying Alaska LAX-OGG OGG-ANC ANC-LAX this winter and very happy with the service. Even better if they join oneworld as then I won't have to pay for baggage.

Good news!
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:03 pm

It will certainly give more options for those pax coming out to the West Coast for heading off to places like Mexico and Hawaii, and of course up to Alaska.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tilal6991
I'm also wondering if it may be worth trying to earn Emerald on Alaska by crediting BA flights to them given how high their cabin bonuses are on BA flights.
Always a risk AS will change the status earning requirements. Have not seen what the AS status levels will match OW ruby, sapphire & emerald status level.
To me a reasonable chance the AS ffp will get a tweek for OW membership

AS thread--> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...neworld-4.html

OW news release---> https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...n-the-alliance
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
Despite its name Alaska is entirely centered on the US west coast corridor, and it has very low utility if you're starting from anywhere else. Most roads lead to/from Seattle and Portland, and there are a few stray midcons and transcons to LAX.
They have a decent network from SFO.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Yllanes
They have a decent network from SFO.
Which is the ex Virgin America bit, I believe.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:45 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

This news has perked me up. A full member too!
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by TedToToe
Which is the ex Virgin America bit, I believe.
Much shrunken since the acquisition.
TedToToe likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
A niche US regional carrier isn’t much compensation for the loss of LATAM though.
I‘m still waiting to see what the „ongoing cooperation“ of LA with OW (except AA, AT and now presumably AS) means. TP? Lounge access? From AA I expect they want to try to bring in G3 (Gol), but that might be a much longer process, if at all.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
Does this meaning booking award flights on AS via BAEC would no longer mean having to call BA but doing it online? Or, more generally, do all OW members provide access to their award network via ba.com?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Mutu
Interesting indeed. But given PDX/LHR launches on BA, is the game up for the BAx2 to SEA. Or will capacity be trimmed whilst keeping the frequency I wonder.
BA49 shrinks to a 787-10 from a high-J 747 around the time that PDX opens.

I actually think it’ll stay in view of the wider transatlantic network and capacity. Right now, BA/AA have few “direct” options for connecting down the West Coast that don’t involve backtracking or cross country connections.

Before the launch of the nonstop, PDX’s own routings through BA were codeshares through SFO (backtracking) and otherwise often routing through DFW or PHX.

By adding another LHR-SEA to feed a hub, I wonder if the network effect frees up seats on DFW, LAX, PHX and other key hubs as well as directing West Coast / Hawaii / Alaska connections through a shorter (read: cheaper) more direct flight “over the top”.

It might not recover to larger gauge jets, but the 747s are leaving the fleet anyway. Maybe Virgin’s extra frequencies get cut back to 1x daily or the extras handed over to a smaller DL 767? Either way, I’d bet AS joining OneWorld will add more seats through LHR-SEA, not less.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:29 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Woo, finally might be able to get some Avios availability to Kelowna
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by NoTiersForMe
Does this meaning booking award flights on AS via BAEC would no longer mean having to call BA but doing it online? Or, more generally, do all OW members provide access to their award network via ba.com?
Presumably, yes, BA will switch on online award booking for AS. Why they aren't available online already is arbitrary on BA's part: it's not that the partner has to 'allow' BA.com bookings, it's that BA have to bother to make the partner available online.

When partners started becoming available online, starting with oneworld members made sense. Stopping there didn't.
NoTiersForMe likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:26 pm

Not off topic at all. Great news! Looking forward not to fly AA domestically, whenever I can. Have stuck with AA for domestic flights because every little bit counts towards lifetime gold TPs. Now consumers will have a choice, although mainly east coast/west coast sectors and west coast sectors.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by lcylocal
This should open quite a lot of options for the Oneworld round the world tickets, particularly for routes though Hawaii and Mexico.

Should also hopefully further cement the new service into Portland, OR.
Not to mention year round access from lower 48 to ANC & FAI.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by BearX220
Despite its name Alaska is entirely centered on the US west coast corridor, and it has very low utility if you're starting from anywhere else. Most roads lead to/from Seattle and Portland, and there are a few stray midcons and transcons to LAX.
That description fits Alaska before the Virgin America merger, but the Bay Area (SFO, OAK and SJC) and LAX are all quite significant operations – OAK and SJC more for west and further west and SFO for mid and trans-con. And Horizon can provide a very large number of western US small feeder airports to SFO, LAX, PDX and SEA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.