Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines to join oneworld

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2021, 3:15 pm

Programs: Oneworld (Emerald)
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
But it seems impossible to use Avios on First Class flights. Only Economy. Of course, it could be that there's genuinely no Avios availability, but it seems more than a coincidence that this would be the case on the multiple dates/routes I've looked at over the past couple of weeks or so.
Are you selecting business/club in the class of travel drop-down box? (Alaska's domestic "first" will show as business in the award search.)

I can see business award availability on most September days SEA-PDX, for example:

ba.com business award search (AS)
Old Apr 21, 2021, 3:54 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by CKBA
I do like their 3rd meal option in 'First' - how kind that it's complimentary...

No Meal

Complimentary

With this option, you're letting us know you'd like to decline your meal onboard. The Flight Attendant will still offer beverages, and snacks will be available.

I think it's just boilerplate to write "Complimentary" under all the options, to clarify that it is indeed free. So when they added the, "No Meal" option, it was labeled as "Complimentary" too.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 1:07 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, United Premier Silver; Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Taken 2 trips on AS recently.

SJC-LAX-SJC: Was with the Horizon Air team. Paid the $29 for the upgrade offer on one leg to see how it was and because the flight was taxes only due to the AS offer on CA flights if you joined the Milage Plan. Nice team and a quick drink but coded as U/G & G/G.

SJC-SEA-SJC: Booked a saver fare and the SJC checkin desk team were nice enough to move me further forward as the load was so light. Ended up in the Premium seats so a comp. drink. SEA checkin desk team couldn’t do the same and the lounge team denied me entry initially where I got a “just this once”. Gate Agent moved me to an empty row on request and the FA’s handed me a comp. drink & chocolate for being OWE. Both FA’s were very engaging and chatty.

A far better experience with AS so far compared to AA, except for the lounge back and forth every time.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 1:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by wylek
Are you selecting business/club in the class of travel drop-down box? (Alaska's domestic "first" will show as business in the award search.)

I can see business award availability on most September days SEA-PDX, for example:

ba.com business award search (AS)
Well, I would check again, but ba.com is hanging on the finding flights screen...

I tried selecting business/club and first when I did my initial search though, as when looking on Google flights AS flights show up as a different class to AA. Can't remember which way around though!
Old Apr 22, 2021, 3:47 am

Programs: BA GfL
We had a very pleasant (non-flight) experience with Alaskan last year. We had booked transatlantic flights from Spain to the US with American and internal flights with Alaskan. Because of covid this summer trip was cancelled and per American's own rules we were due a full refund. It took many calls, emails and online actions to get any response from AA and despite receiving a confirmation of a refund coming nothing happened and yet more emails and calls were required. It took about 8 weeks to get the money back into our account.

Alaskan sent me an email saying that we would get a future travel voucher; I called them to say that we couldn't use it due to it expiring before we could possibly travel. No problem said the agent, I'll override the system and you'll get a full refund. It was back in our account in less than 24 hours. Kudos to Alaskan for giving their agent the authority to do this and do it promptly.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by Silly19
Taken 2 trips on AS recently.

SJC-LAX-SJC: Was with the Horizon Air team. Paid the $29 for the upgrade offer on one leg to see how it was and because the flight was taxes only due to the AS offer on CA flights if you joined the Milage Plan. Nice team and a quick drink but coded as U/G & G/G.
Does that mean you got Avios with BA per Main Cabin then on your upgraded leg?

Just to be clear in my head.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 5:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, United Premier Silver; Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Does that mean you got Avios with BA per Main Cabin then on your upgraded leg?

Just to be clear in my head.
Correct. 5 Tier Points each way.
FlightDetective likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
Nice little trip BWI-SEA (&rtn) on Alaska. My first experience of Alaska Airlines, and although in First, did seem more 'refined' than other US carriers such as AA or UA. They were certainly slipping in plenty of references to being in the 'One World' club (which newly attached decals by the aircraft doors). Total for the rtn flight was about 500UKP in First (=CW, 280TPs).
Complementary beverages & food were good (not BA SH CE standard though), and adequate for the journey. Key thing (!) was that they now have 'liqour' - so you can now have your G&T (although no lime/lemon/....).

The turkey sandwich (bread was a little dry, but had the usual door-wedge of meat) or....

Cheese and fruit platter

Decent G&T...
Old May 9, 2021, 8:12 am

Nice new AS lounge in the 'N' terminal - with the mandatory views of the apron and runway - with the Olympic Mountains and Mt Ranier as a backdrop! Food selection was a little thin - but not surpising at the moment.

In flight catering, SEA-BWI was 'breakfast' which in F was a breakfast wrap (a.k.a. turkey sandwich with the bread replaced with the wrap and the turkey replaced with egg), or the cheese platter (see post above). I tried the wrap - or at least only half of it - since it was somewhat solid (and had too much mustard in!).

TravelingZoomer likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Presumably the legacies in the US are still waiting for each other to switch back to proper catering so they have an excuse to stop the nonsense food offering in CKBA's post above? Or is that really what AS offer on a transcontinental flight even in the good times?
Old May 9, 2021, 4:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by Schwann
Presumably the legacies in the US are still waiting for each other to switch back to proper catering so they have an excuse to stop the nonsense food offering in CKBA's post above? Or is that really what AS offer on a transcontinental flight even in the good times?
CKBA just missed AS switching back to normal catering this month. For example, on a flight SEA - JFK later this month I have choice between butternut squash and lemon chicken
Schwann likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
CKBA just missed AS switching back to normal catering this month. For example, on a flight SEA - JFK later this month I have choice between butternut squash and lemon chicken
Darn... I'll have to try that trip again now... ;-)
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 7:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
I booked an Avios economy award from ANC to FAI. It would not let me enter my BAEC number at check in. I used the website chat and the agent put it in but it still didn’t show on the boarding pass.

As with most partner Avios bookings my name shows a little weirdly (I have a hyphen which disappears but Mr appears as a kind of middle name). I tried at checkin to get a boarding card with my number showing but no joy and was told it was on the record so not to bother.

the lounge took a lot of talking. I had to show them their website on my phone that said non AA/AS elites get access even on non-international itineraries. They were so charming and lovely and said it was all new to them. Later they came and got me and said although they could see my number they couldn’t see it was emerald. I showed them the card on my phone and they were happy. Again they were so lovely - I’m sure I would have got nowhere if it was NY with local staff.

The lounge at the South Terminal is pretty basic anyway. Next time I might take the $20 upgrade to first if it eases the process but I’m sure it will sort itself out in time.

edit: forgot to mention the big lounge benefit is seeing all the 747 cargo planes. There are 3 CX in front of me looking absolutely magnificent.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 7:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
alex67500 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 12:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by rather_be_on_a_griffin
I booked an Avios economy award from ANC to FAI. It would not let me enter my BAEC number at check in. I used the website chat and the agent put it in but it still didn’t show on the boarding pass.

As with most partner Avios bookings my name shows a little weirdly (I have a hyphen which disappears but Mr appears as a kind of middle name). I tried at checkin to get a boarding card with my number showing but no joy and was told it was on the record so not to bother.

the lounge took a lot of talking. I had to show them their website on my phone that said non AA/AS elites get access even on non-international itineraries. They were so charming and lovely and said it was all new to them. Later they came and got me and said although they could see my number they couldn’t see it was emerald. I showed them the card on my phone and they were happy. Again they were so lovely - I’m sure I would have got nowhere if it was NY with local staff.

The lounge at the South Terminal is pretty basic anyway. Next time I might take the $20 upgrade to first if it eases the process but I’m sure it will sort itself out in time.

edit: forgot to mention the big lounge benefit is seeing all the 747 cargo planes. There are 3 CX in front of me looking absolutely magnificent.
FWIW, when I use my AA FFN on an AS flight, it doesn’t show up on my boarding pass either. It does appear when viewing the reservation on the website & app, however. The boarding pass only indicates OWE.

I think the ANC lounge is one of the better AS lounges. Last time I was there they had pretty decent offerings: Two different soups, salad, wraps, chips (including Alaska Chip Company Jalapeño ), and cookies.

Yes, the lounge attendants here are usually very friendly, and really nice views out towards the runways to see the takeoffs/landings. And always interesting to see the different cargo carriers parked on the tarmac.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.