Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines to join oneworld

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2021, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Presumably those regularly travelling up and down the west coast and to Hawaii are already using Alaska Airlines for the reasons you state. It would make no sense for Alaska to change this. Joining an alliance does not mean you need to change your own product. I'm sure Alaska would be quite happy for AA members to switch!
For the fact AS wasn't in any alliance until now will have alienated many to a degree hence the many tie-ins AS made with so many FFP's. No elite earning perspective really until now though. AS pricing is also often historically lower than AA on shared routes. It'll be interesting if that changes too - especially as they're both about to enter into codesharing agreements.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Mar 30, 2021 at 11:26 pm
Old Mar 31, 2021, 5:22 am

Programs: BAEC
Now Live on the Tier Point Calculator

Avios per Gold
Old Mar 31, 2021, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
As a datamark, as a BA Gold, I was able to select preferred seats ( including exit-row seats ) for free on an Alaska flight as today. The AS website also shows me as oneworld Emerald.
However, Premium Class is not free for oneworld partner elites ( which has free food, beverages and a guaranteed blocked middle seat )
Old Mar 31, 2021, 6:16 am

Programs: UA Gold, BA Gold
Alaska flights are now showing when searching for award tickets.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 11:03 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Just used my BAEC Silver status to enter SEA AS lounge. Didn’t really need to because they accept PP but gave it the old FT “why not” DP. Was expecting a premium drink chit like they do with AA but AS already offers pretty good house drinks so no big deal that they didn’t.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 8:13 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, United Premier Silver; Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Currently enjoying the AS LAX Lounge on an AS LAX-SJC. Managed to jump the queue set up for Priority Pass after walking through the AS flow charts for access. Just had to get off the AS/AA page and utilize the BA/etc. one.

Front desk/entry staff are a lot more personable that the T4 alternative, plus free beer.
greg5 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 6:09 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by Silly19
Currently enjoying the AS LAX Lounge on an AS LAX-SJC. Managed to jump the queue set up for Priority Pass after walking through the AS flow charts for access. Just had to get off the AS/AA page and utilize the BA/etc. one.

Front desk/entry staff are a lot more personable that the T4 alternative, plus free beer.
Alaskan Amber hopefully?
Old Apr 7, 2021, 10:18 pm

Programs: Oneworld (Emerald)
Just earned my first tier points from AS flights and monitored closely to see when they post to BAEC. Flights from this past Friday (4/2) and Sunday (4/4) both posted at the same time on Wednesday (4/7), at some point between 6pm and 8pm PDT. (For comparison, AS flights typically post to AAdvantage on Tuesday nights.)

Both flights match what the tier points calculator shows, so I'm happy to report that there doesn't seem to be any issue there.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Some data marks from AS flights that I have taken recently as a BAEC Gold:

IAD-LAX ( Y in 737-900ER )

- No Premium Class upgrades for partner elites, however, exit row seats and preferred seats are free of charge for BAEC Gold's ( Not available for Saver fares though )
- 3x32kgs baggage allowance
- Boarding in Group A ( Just after First Class )
- Onboard exit-row legroom is super generous
- Onboard received free beer&wine and a chocolate as an OWE which others didn't get in addition to the regular service
- Discounted offer to F received at OLCI for $213.40, however, I am unsure if I would have got 140TP's or 20TP's, so I skipped it as the adjacent seat was empty at that time. If someone has the answer for this part, I would highly appreciate it; I have asked this in the AS forum twice but got no answer.

LAX-DCA ( F in A321 )

- Alaska Lounge in LAX is much superior compared to the AA Admirals Club in T4; if you have time, I'll strongly suggest you to visit the Alaska Lounge rather than the Admirals Club.
- First Class passengers board just after those who need pre-boarding.
- Same seats as TK's new regional Business Class product on 737MAX's and A321neo's
- Choice of cheese plate and a sandwich after departure
- Snack basket came mid-way and additional snacks were available at the galley
- About an hour before landing, heated chocolate chip cookies were served.
- The lead FA came multiple times for drinks; however, you could request more through the call button.

For both flights, as the previous poster mentioned, I have got my Avios & Tier Points, the first Wednesday late-night after I took the respective flights.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Some data marks from AS flights that I have taken recently as a BAEC Gold:
- Discounted offer to F received at OLCI for $213.40, however, I am unsure if I would have got 140TP's or 20TP's, so I skipped it as the adjacent seat was empty at that time. If someone has the answer for this part, I would highly appreciate it; I have asked this in the AS forum twice but got no answer.
I don't think anyone has tried this out yet as far as I know. I would be astonished if it's treated like a BA airport upgrade (tier points for higher class of service) and not like an AA airport upgrade (tier points for original class of service, upgrade treated akin to using points or another mechanism to upgrade).
Old Apr 20, 2021, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dylanks
I don't think anyone has tried this out yet as far as I know. I would be astonished if it's treated like a BA airport upgrade (tier points for higher class of service) and not like an AA airport upgrade (tier points for original class of service, upgrade treated akin to using points or another mechanism to upgrade).
I found the answer on AS.com just at the moment.
Unfortunately paid upgrades map to U fare class, thus no 40/140 TP's.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/use-miles#pay-upgrade

Upgrade to First Class on Alaska Airlines for as little as $23.00 USD. Paid upgrades may be available within 24 hours of flight departure through online check-in. They may be available on the calendar day of departure at a kiosk, airport ticket counter or at the departure gate.

Paid upgrades are valid on operated by Alaska Airlines and by SkyWest operating on behalf of Alaska Airlines. Paid upgrades are subject to availability, do not include stopovers, and exclude industry discounts. Prices are based on one-way trip miles, as shown above, unless otherwise noted. No stopovers allowed. Upgrades are subject to availability as "U" Class may not be available on all flights. The link to upgrade to First Class during online check-in will only appear if upgrades are available for purchase. For travel on or after March 31, 2021 fare categories are booked in H, Q, M, N, V, K, L, G, B, O, S, T and Y classes of service. For travel through March 30, 2021 fare categories are booked in B, G, H, K, L, M, N, Q, R, S, T, V, W, Y, and Z classes of service. Passengers upgraded after baggage has been accepted are not eligible for a refund of baggage fees paid. The paid upgrade program is subject to change or cancellation without notice.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 4:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Might have already been mentioned - not gone through the entire thread.

But it seems impossible to use Avios on First Class flights. Only Economy. Of course, it could be that there's genuinely no Avios availability, but it seems more than a coincidence that this would be the case on the multiple dates/routes I've looked at over the past couple of weeks or so.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
I do like their 3rd meal option in 'First' - how kind that it's complimentary...

No Meal

Complimentary

With this option, you're letting us know you'd like to decline your meal onboard. The Flight Attendant will still offer beverages, and snacks will be available.

Old Apr 21, 2021, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CKBA
I do like their 3rd meal option in 'First' - how kind that it's complimentary...

No Meal

Complimentary

With this option, you're letting us know you'd like to decline your meal onboard. The Flight Attendant will still offer beverages, and snacks will be available.

Those who prefer to reduce touchpoints and reduce service ( a.k.a. those who admired Delta's COVID service last year ) would definitely prefer this option
Some TPG USA authors also fall into this category.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Those who prefer to reduce touchpoints and reduce service ( a.k.a. those who admired Delta's COVID service last year ) would definitely prefer this option
Some TPG USA authors also fall into this category.
... do you still get a tray - with nothing on it though?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.