Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines to join oneworld

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
With AA launching SEA-LHR in March 2021, I certainly hope that their partner BA won’t be reducing the twice-daily BA flights on that route! That would be very bad news.
That's what I was thinking too. It will add extra capacity, and an additional option for redeeming miles. But with the BA 747 seasonal service going away and being replaced by the smaller 787, maybe there's room for everyone?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
A niche US regional carrier isn’t much compensation for the loss of LATAM though.
Originally Posted by ens100
Excellent news - another reason to visit Alaska
Doesn't this slightly understate AS' position? I think it's something like the US' fifth- or sixth-largest airline, and according to Wikipedia its turnover is $8.3 bn compared to LATAM's $9.9 bn. And it's far from being exclusively focused on Alaska, if this route map is anything near accurate:-

rossmacd, T8191 and mikeyfly like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
This should open quite a lot of options for the Oneworld round the world tickets, particularly for routes though Hawaii and Mexico.

Should also hopefully further cement the new service into Portland, OR.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Excellent news! It'll be great to finally have a reasonable way to collect TP whilst flying up and down the West Coast from SEA with Jerry Garcia on the tail.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:39 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
It might also open up the premium seating to BA status holders in the same way as Main Cabin Extra is opened up on AA, which would be great.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:51 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Globaliser it would be good to know how much of Alaska's route map stems from their acquisition of Virgin America a couple of years ago but, that aside, I do agree that the focus of AS isn't just limited to Alaska. They are definitely a big player in the US domestic market.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
I'm also wondering if it may be worth trying to earn Emerald on Alaska by crediting BA flights to them given how high their cabin bonuses are on BA flights.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Can't see myself using them but I do like their tail livery.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:07 am

Programs: BA OWS, A3*G
Originally Posted by Geordie405
it would be good to know how much of Alaska's route map stems from their acquisition of Virgin America a couple of years ago
I found this on the internet from just before the merger, it doesn't seem obviously wrong in any way though less than perfectly legible.

Last edited by LiHS; Feb 13, 2020 at 10:09 am Reason: syntax
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:22 am

Fantastic news, should the application to join OW be approved (do not see why it wouldn't!)

This would add a huge number of domestic US and North American routes and frequencies to codeshare options for those of us who find ourselves bouncing around the US on a very frequent basis. It does add a lot of different coast to coast options also, albeit on recliners not flatbeds.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:45 am

Hawaii via Anchorage
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lcylocal
This should open quite a lot of options for the Oneworld round the world tickets, particularly for routes though Hawaii and Mexico.

Should also hopefully further cement the new service into Portland, OR.
Would love it to open up Mexico a bit more.

With interjet's financial woes, I do wonder where a way back into latam market for oneworld would be great alliance with them, either through codeshare or acquisition at some point. I know there is limited earning with AA available at the moment. Whether that could be expanded is yet to be seen. Any competition against Aeroméxico is good competition.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:07 am

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
Interesting indeed. But given PDX/LHR launches on BA, is the game up for the BAx2 to SEA. Or will capacity be trimmed whilst keeping the frequency I wonder.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
Hawaii via Anchorage
I see the CAI-LHR-MIA-LAX-ANC-HNL run for 1400TP. Almost single trip Gold. More if real F TP's.
daftboy, T8191, alex67500 and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Doesn't this slightly understate AS' position? I think it's something like the US' fifth- or sixth-largest airline, and according to Wikipedia its turnover is $8.3 bn compared to LATAM's $9.9 bn. And it's far from being exclusively focused on Alaska, if this route map is anything near accurate:-
Despite its name Alaska is entirely centered on the US west coast corridor, and it has very low utility if you're starting from anywhere else. Most roads lead to/from Seattle and Portland, and there are a few stray midcons and transcons to LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.