Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Odd pricing to the Canary Islands, Dec 2020 to Jan 2021

Odd pricing to the Canary Islands, Dec 2020 to Jan 2021

Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
It's really not helpful to think about this in supermarket terms, which your question suggests that you still are. In any event, I expect that the kind of information you're looking for would be confidential.J9 C1, just like 23 January.
So just so I understand no R or I, then economy class? Thanks
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by paulaf
Hi,
Is it a bug, CE flights from LGW to LPA outbound next January on Saturdays over £500 compared to Fridays £167. Return flight is reasonable. I think this has altered in the last couple of days, shouldn't be sold out already they've only been out about a week. By comparison I paid £650 for this April including car hire and this is over Easter. Thanks for any advice.
From what I have seen historically It's quite common for Canary Islands pricing to be stupid 1 year out, but it's usually for every flight. { EG last month every Y flight to & from TFS between 15/12/20 and 8/1/21 was priced @ £800 return. } So it is possible they may drop in the next few weeks.

At current prices though based on your comments I'd do 15th to 23rd and have an extra night somewhere.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
So just so I understand no R or I, then economy class?
Yes, J9 C1 D0 R0 I0.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The Geek
From what I have seen historically It's quite common for Canary Islands pricing to be stupid 1 year out, but it's usually for every flight. { EG last month every Y flight to & from TFS between 15/12/20 and 8/1/21 was priced @ £800 return. } So it is possible they may drop in the next few weeks.

At current prices though based on your comments I'd do 15th to 23rd and have an extra night somewhere.
Thanks The Geek, as I say its the same flight I am taking this coming March for a lot less booked closer to the time to. When did the flights to TFS reduce have you noticed yet?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks The Geek, as I say its the same flight I am taking this coming March for a lot less booked closer to the time to. When did the flights to TFS reduce have you noticed yet?
I think we've had this discussion before a few times, but this is crystal ball stuff, past performance is no guarantee of future outcomes. But as a very, very general rule, with very many exceptions, booking 6 weeks out is the best time to buy flights.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks I do understand but I suppose my question is do R and I classes always get released eventually so worth waiting for? Thanks
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks I do understand but I suppose my question is do R and I classes always get released eventually so worth waiting for? Thanks
Short answer: maybe, but no-one here knows for sure.
Long answer: see posts 13 and 15.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 1:06 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold)
LON-TFS J availability

I'm looking to book flights to Tenerife over Christmas 2020 in Club Europe. The flights seem to be J9 C0 D0 R0 I0 for every flight over the late December period. I assume that can't actually reflect heavy sales to date, but is it normal for them to block everything but flexible business over school holidays? Or is that likely to change at some point in the future? I've never seen anything like that before.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 1:22 am

I think there have been a few similar posts on other holiday routes over Christmas about this. What I suspect is that the computer is noting that it is getting a stream of bookings at the higher buckets, from those who feel they must book now. Therefore the algorithm doesn't see the point in cutting fares at this point, maybe that will change nearer in. It's an urban myth that booking well in advance gets you the best fare.

However as a Gold, you have the option of putting a redemption into ET - using a Gold Priority Reward if necessary - then cancelling / rebooking for cash or Avios later on, and without a fee.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by jimcbob
I assume that can't actually reflect heavy sales to date, but is it normal for them to block everything but flexible business over school holidays?
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think there have been a few similar posts on other holiday routes over Christmas about this. What I suspect is that the computer is noting that it is getting a stream of bookings at the higher buckets, from those who feel they must book now. Therefore the algorithm doesn't see the point in cutting fares at this point, maybe that will change nearer in. It's an urban myth that booking well in advance gets you the best fare.
I'm not sure that this phenomenon is even necessarily restricted to holiday routes or holiday times. An possible alternative or additional explanation may be that BA hasn't yet worked out what sort of booking profile it wants for that period/date/flight so the easiest thing to do is to load only the full-fare booking class and leave the rest until the commercial decisions have been taken. A large proportion of bookings in full-fare booking classes will be on flexible terms, and thus be more likely to be cancelled by the passenger anyway (including if they're really after a discount fare and the discount fare then appears). In other words, it's a bit like not really opening the flight for booking yet.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
In other words, it's a bit like not really opening the flight for booking yet.
Also worth noting that easyJet flights for this period aren’t open at all for booking yet.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jimcbob
I'm looking to book flights to Tenerife over Christmas 2020 in Club Europe. The flights seem to be J9 C0 D0 R0 I0 for every flight over the late December period. I assume that can't actually reflect heavy sales to date, but is it normal for them to block everything but flexible business over school holidays? Or is that likely to change at some point in the future? I've never seen anything like that before.
If it helps I called BA about my query and for 2 dates outbound in question where it was only selling J she said there were 28 seats available so she advised to wait as it was possibly due to waiting for an aircraft to be assigned or confirming the schedule and/or number of seats in Club. Doesn't explain why the return back 1 and 2 weeks later were selling other classes though. Let me know how you get on as i will be booking flights to TFS for March 2021 when available. Thanks
Old Feb 18, 2020, 3:49 pm

You’ll never (or only very rarely) see low bucket seats released this early. That’s because the only customers booking now are those who ‘have’ to travel on a set day and airlines can make money out of their perceived inflexibility. That and easyJet not yet selling, of course - you can bet prices will fall within days of the orange kings opening their doors.

Unless you’re willing to pay high class fares, the best advice by miles is to calm down, be patient, and book at a more reasonable time when fares are competitive. There’ll always be indirect routings if you get desperate. Or collect Avios and book when the flights first open, that’s how most people in this position manage it.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, unfortunately I will have booked accommodation before booking flights but will try and hang on. So do you know what date the Orange doors open for January 2021 then? Thanks
Old Feb 18, 2020, 4:14 pm

Thanks, unfortunately I will have booked accommodation before booking flights but will try and hang on. So do you know what date the Orange doors open for January 2021 then? Thanks
April 2020. Usually the first 2 weeks of the month.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.