Last edit by: Prospero
London Heathrow to Newquay
service starts 2 July 18 July 24 July 2020
Print Wikipost

BA Launch London Heathrow to Newquay

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Just to be on the safe side...can you do me a favour and ask him how the locals pronounce Newquay?
IPA: /ˈnjuːki/
Simplified: NEW-kee
Cornish: Tewynblustri

Looks like that article is referring to full Y fares...

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a9331891.html
HIDDY likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by golfmad
Is that the Facebook group dedicated to the discussion of Cornish Pasties?
No, it's the Facebook group that argues about scones, jam and clotted cream.
HIDDY, T8191, florens and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by florens
Simplified: NEW-kee
Cornish: Tewynblustri

Looks like that article is referring to full Y fares...

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a9331891.html
I'm sure HIDDY is grateful, I am sure he will agree that it's very straightforward to pronounce, just like the Glasgow rail terminus station Milngavie.

As for the fares, where The Independent suggested that that return fares were £640, that was almost certainly correct at the time they wrote the article, but unusually BA seems to have rushed the fares into the booking tools and didn't give the revenue management algorithm time to settle down, which needs more than 24 horus. When that happens all buckets apart from J and Y are set to zero and therefore the full Y fare was showing there. As the day wore on, yesterday, the algorithm has done its job at least in part and fares in I and O are now starting to show up, so £85 return in EuroTraveller rather than £640 - and £247 in Club Europe, again return fares. I fares are available without a Saturday Night requirement, in other words single CE fares aren't clobbered. These are fairly low fares for a LHR service.

There are also interesting End-On fare constructions going too, for those connecting. So NCL - LHR - NQY is now available in Club Europe at £196 single for 80 Tier Points, or just £60 in EuroTraveller, for those who actually want to get to Cornwall.

Normally BA do enter fares into Pegasus a day before the MediaCentre announcement, but this is further effort for a rushed effort to get this service plugged into the system.
HIDDY and xarantine like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:06 am

Programs: BAEC
The media not doing its research and rushing out an article for clicks? Well I never!

They're always doubly awful when it comes to anything aviation related too, it seems.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
As for the fares, where The Independent suggested that that return fares were £640, that was almost certainly correct at the time they wrote the article, but unusually BA seems to have rushed the fares into the booking tools and didn't give the revenue management algorithm time to settle down, which needs more than 24 horus. When that happens all buckets apart from J and Y are set to zero and therefore the full Y fare was showing there. As the day wore on, yesterday, the algorithm has done its job at least in part and fares in I and O are now starting to show up ...
Also, for quite a lot of yesterday, there was J and Y inventory (only) but no filed fares at all. The consequence was that the route couldn't be priced, whether on ba.com or on ITA (or, presumably, anywhere else).

So the story might well have been absolutely accurately reporting that which BA was then publishing, so far as fares were concerned. Indeed, earlier on in the day, the story might well have been (equally accurately) "BA announces route, but you can't book it". Arguably, BA would have done better to announce the route and file the fares yesterday, and say that flights would be bookable the next day (ie today) using language that didn't suggest that they wouldn't yet be bookable yesterday, of course.

As c-w-s says, I suspect that this is why sale fares (and others) are usually filed the day before their announced start date. Those of us who know about this behaviour can, of course, make full use of anything that is filed.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:49 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by PZE
The Scillonian varies a bit with the tides (very shallow approach into St Mary’s I think) but as far as I know is always late enough for the 753 sleeper arrival and a brisk 10 minute walk round the harbour. The other option that works well is train to Exeter and then the Skybus flight from Exeter to St Mary’s - probably a more reliable connection than trying to fly to Newquay and connect to Skybus.
Ah fab. I was once delayed into Penzance and watched the Scillonian disappear into the distance, it and they popped me onto a Skybus instead! Wonder if GWR still have authority to do that?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
Any perspective on why BA would choose LHR over LGW for the Newquay route?

Given the majority of the pax travelling to Newquay will be tourists, would not LGW align better? Additionally surely LGW woudl allow BA to compete directly with Flybe (Virgin) on the Newquay route.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:33 am

Fares still seem a little bit messy on the route. I can’t find any £90 return, cheapest I’ve got is £110 (which has now risen to £120).

To be honest I feel this is quite expensive for a new route and also for a flight that lasts 40 mins.

Can anyone help me find a cheaper 1 night fare?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I would either leave it for a day to settle down or use avios.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:59 am

At about midnight I managed to get a return for £85 but it was late and I didn’t feel like booking. By this morning they had all gone up to £120.

The fares do seem consistent now at around £60 one way so I guess I’ve missed the boat.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Fares still seem a little bit messy on the route. I can’t find any £90 return, cheapest I’ve got is £110 (which has now risen to £120).
Originally Posted by KARFA
I would either leave it for a day to settle down or use avios.
I'm surprised how much fares are jumping around. The reservation I made yesterday has been on a yo-yo all morning, sometimes the same as I paid yesterday, but often £20 to £40 more, I've checked half a dozen times. This is usually indicative of a high number of bookings, though given BA's IT the cause could be much more related to bugs in the software. For the record and future comparison, this is my lowest for your request (namely a 1 night stay) available on a number of Sunday to Monday bookings. You only "miss the boat" if every inflexible ticket has been sold (and in the case of BA even that isn't the end game) so I agree with KARFA.

In terms of not booking yesterday, remember the 24 hour cooling off period, which is why I did book yesterday and I'm checking today to see if fares have come down. Also the £5 hold fee gives you 72 hours - or even a little more - to decide.

Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm surprised how much fares are jumping around. The reservation I made yesterday has been on a yo-yo all morning, sometimes the same as I paid yesterday, but often £20 to £40 more, I've checked half a dozen times. This is usually indicative of a high number of bookings, though given BA's IT the cause could be much more related to bugs in the software. For the record and future comparison, this is my lowest for your request (namely a 1 night stay) available on a number of Sunday to Monday bookings. You only "miss the boat" if every inflexible ticket has been sold (and in the case of BA even that isn't the end game) so I agree with KARFA.

In terms of not booking yesterday, remember the 24 hour cooling off period, which is why I did book yesterday and I'm checking today to see if fares have come down. Also the £5 hold fee gives you 72 hours - or even a little more - to decide.
Thanks for checking!

I too have been checking a lot and you’re right fares are changing every hour. I made the decision this morning that if I do see a good fare I will book, because as you say I can always cancel within 24hrs.

Just saw this on BAs Newquay page but can’t find anything to match this:

Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus

Just saw this on BAs Newquay page but can’t find anything to match this:

Premium Economy all the way to NQY!
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
Premium Economy all the way to NQY!
And you can select your seats 201 days in advance!
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:14 am
ECR

They have simply got these slots but plucking a few rotations from Munich or Frankfurt let’s say. Hence, the longer turn around times on some rotations.

Edit: Just noticed the Sunday rotation says arrival at Terminal M - so this must be a GLA slot.
I could well be wrong but looking at the times I think one or two of these have come from slots currently used for BHD.

It is fantastic to have another domestic route but disappointing if the slots have come at the expense of other domestic services.

You get the impression the NQY route is about BA making a point to the government that they can provide regional connectivity and the government shouldn't be doing anything to save flybe. If they have got the slots by cutting other domestic services it kind of weakens their argument that flybe is not required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.