Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Storm warning Saturday and Sunday 15-16 Feb

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 16, 20, 5:01 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Latest Customer Guidelines for flights still in the timetable: post 236, you can rebook to Sunday to Thursday. If your flight is cancelled, the Standard Customer Guidelines - click here.

Print Wikipost

Old Feb 11, 20, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata Plus

I'm due to fly from Heathrow on Saturday afternoon on a BA holiday flight, and have just seen a Met Office warning about Storm Dennis which could arrive at around that time.

I was hoping for some advice from those affected by Ciara. Were you contacted by BA about delays/cancellations, and if so, how far in advance? Is it a good idea to keep my eye on BA's website so I can react quickly?

If the flight is part of a BA holiday (flight + hotel) I assume BA would handle any changes to hotel bookings as well as flights, if necessary?

Hopefully it will just blow over, but I'm not going to book any activities at our destination for another couple of days until the situation is a bit clearer.

Last edited by ttama; Feb 11, 20 at 5:10 am Reason: changed title
Old Feb 11, 20, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The UK Met Office warning >>> https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-u...uk-on-saturday
ttama likes this.
Old Feb 11, 20, 5:30 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Gold, HHonors Silver, Big White Season Pass
I think that BigJets TV are elsewhere this weekend 😓
crazyarmadillo, ttama and TedToToe like this.
Old Feb 11, 20, 5:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If the flight is cancelled you will get notified about 2 or so hours after it happens. They send out the email and SMS as soon as the flight is marked cancelled, but if you are sending thousands of emails every minute then it can take a while for it to get to you. In other words you may see it happen on the web version of BA.com first, then the app, then a few hours later by email. Normally cancellations peak at around 15:00 hrs on the day before flying in this scenario. You may see warnings on the BA website or get an advance email warning of disruption. Frankly you were going to monitor this forum anyway surely?

The number to keep handy is the BA Holidays Duty Office which should be in the documentation, they can resolve any issues from an end to end perspective.
wrp96 and ttama like this.
Old Feb 11, 20, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata Plus
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Frankly you were going to monitor this forum anyway surely?
Glued to it

Thanks
Old Feb 11, 20, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
I'm also flying Saturday through LHR on an ex EU holidays booking ... I think warnings don't look that bad yet compared with the forecasts for last weekend's storm, but a lot can change either way with the sort of very dynamic weather patterns we have at the moment .. I wouldn't be too concerned unless the forecast got worse and more specific by Thursday or so .. at this stage 5 days out a lot can and will change with that forecast.
ttama likes this.
Old Feb 11, 20, 6:03 am

Programs: BAEC
It looks like this will start around Saturday afternoon for the SE and continue through to Sunday.

The wind speed doesn't look like it will be as high as last weekend (at this stage), but it will be very wet from early Sat evening throughout Sunday.

I would wait until at least Thursday before doing much more than being aware of your options should we get another dose of what the Atlantic has to offer!
ttama likes this.
Old Feb 11, 20, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
I was affected by the storm last weekend and can confirm what CWS says above - email notifications came through several hours after the flight was cancelled (I found out by checking the app) however SMS notification was non-existent, despite my details being up to date.

Definitely keep the BA Holidays duty number to hand - when I called them I got though immediately and they were able to sort me out very quickly and with minimal fuss.
ttama likes this.
Old Feb 11, 20, 6:48 am

Programs: BA GGL
Last weekend the gold line did not pick up but the BA holiday duty office did and it was all very straightforward. It helps them if you have suggestions ready (that are in line with the rebooking policy at the time of your call), so do think about what your plan B would look like in advance. Of course having a plan B, even if vague, should really be the case for any traveller, regardless of any upcoming weather.

I won't type out the duty office number on here but it will be on your car or hotel voucher that you can get from MMB. You're looking for a London number, dm me if you can't find it.
Old Feb 11, 20, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Last time I had disruption on a BA holidays itinerary they called me before I could even call them - as noted they are really good .. so if you're on a BA holiday itinerary make them your first stop if you need assistance .. Hopefully no significant issues on Saturday anyway !
ttama and DelTroon like this.
Old Feb 11, 20, 7:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Doing the proactive leg work in advance always makes sense. Even when there is decent weather. E.g., when you call, be prepared to ask for specifics which meet the policy. You are much likely to be happier with the result if you make it easy and don't rely on what is offered.
ttama likes this.
Old Feb 11, 20, 7:38 am

I used to think we had quite boring weather in this country, now we've had wind (so to speak) two weeks running! Will wonders never cease...
ttama likes this.
Old Feb 11, 20, 8:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily View Post
I think that BigJets TV are elsewhere this weekend 😓
Chicago I think.
Tiger_lily and TedToToe like this.
Old Feb 11, 20, 12:05 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Weather was like this every day in Caithness when I was young and not so [email protected]!
ttama likes this.
Old Feb 11, 20, 3:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by snuffi View Post
Last weekend the gold line did not pick up but the BA holiday duty office did and it was all very straightforward. It helps them if you have suggestions ready (that are in line with the rebooking policy at the time of your call), so do think about what your plan B would look like in advance. Of course having a plan B, even if vague, should really be the case for any traveller, regardless of any upcoming weather.

I won't type out the duty office number on here but it will be on your car or hotel voucher that you can get from MMB. You're looking for a London number, dm me if you can't find it.
The number also on one of the emails sent ahead of travel.

Thanks to excellent advice from corporate-wage-slave I had the duty number saved in my phone ahead of time at the weekend ready for if/when a cancellation came through. Total phone call to get rebooked showed as two and a bit minutes and that included listening to the recorded message at the beginning!

Downside is that the online rebooking module failed I suspect because it was part of a holiday, but the phone route couldn’t have been more efficient.
wrp96 and ttama like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: