Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Storm warning Saturday and Sunday 15-16 Feb

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 15, 2020, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Latest Customer Guidelines for flights still in the timetable: post 236, you can rebook to Sunday to Thursday. If your flight is cancelled, the Standard Customer Guidelines - click here.

Print Wikipost

Storm warning Saturday and Sunday 15-16 Feb

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mmogdan
thanks. I’m HBO unfortunately (if luggage I would wait up to midnight and do same day change). Looking at the forecast I’m 99% sure my departure will be canned and I would like to be proactive to get away. Seems BA won’t allow this.
Just go to the airport early and see if you can blag your way on to the earlier service. It's actually called "Flow Forward". However the 10:15 looks full in ET anyway at the moment.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by ankomonkey
Interesting. Do you book this all independently then? Which resort and how do you get there from Sofia?
Yes, use Avios for the flights and book the hotel direct. We go to Borovets, transfer is about 90 mins and around £100 for a private transfer in a minivan.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Looking at the forecast and current cancellations I think we'll get Into LHR OK on the 0945 from MAN. I see the 13.45 to Sofia is fine at the minute, it seems full and there's no later flight so hopefully it'll be left alone...... I can live with a delay out of LHR but don't fancy trying to rebook 7 people and of course being an Avios booking it's not like I can cancel and put the funds into an Air Bulgaria or other option......
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:41 pm

Why are there so many LHR cancellations yet so few LGW? What is the difference in airports that allow LGW to function so much better despite similar weather conditions?
FlyerP likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
Why are there so many LHR cancellations yet so few LGW? What is the difference in airports that allow LGW to function so much better despite similar weather conditions?
my bet is there will be lots of cancellations on the day. EasyJet have already canned most of their schedule from afternoon onwards (highly unusual as BA are usually more proactive and Easy leave to last moment on the day)
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:01 pm

I had IOM-LCY cancelled tonight presumably due to gusts in City. Would have been on an ATR 42. Next sector was LGW-TFS tomorrow. Called BA as soon as Flight radar had the cancellation. (They saw it before ba.com or either airport website).

I suggested IOM-DUB-TFS which they agreed to. Very similar flight times. So far so good. Fingers crossed for tomorrow. Metar looks like we might be ok tomorrow
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC, SPG
Just had a proactive email from BA apologising in advance for potential disruption tomorrow, the 15th. On a long haul so they are still advising getting to the airport at usual time and “monitoring the departure boards”.

good luck to all travelling!
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold, Virgin FC Red
Oh dear! We are due back from Malta tomorrow on BA2645. As things stand we are checked in and the flight is on time but I know the outbound leave Gatwick around 3pm...

If the worst happens, what are our options? BA only fly certain days of the week, so if they can’t get us back (in J as booked) within a couple of days can we ask for another carrier? (Air Malta comes to mind - I think they serve both LHR and LGW and have a J product) I don’t really want a downgrade but I assume if that’s all they can offer within a reasonable time we’re covered by EU261? Either way I’d hope we’d get ORC if we ask?

Fingers crossed the outbound gets away - I don’t believe they have a curfew at LGW so maybe they are planning to push the schedule back a few hours and get through it?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:42 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
I just landed on ARN-LHR this evening (changed from a flight tomorrow). As we were about to hit the runway at LHR, I could feel the pilot fighting the winds bringing the plane down. I can't imagine how much worse it could be tomorrow.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by essexadventurer
Fingers crossed the outbound gets away - I don’t believe they have a curfew at LGW so maybe they are planning to push the schedule back a few hours and get through it?
LGW does have some restrictions at night, but you’re right it’s looser than LHR - and still being in the winter schedule does mean there’s some slack to run later flights. Being the start of the school hols I imagine they might attempt this, if it’s safe to do so - but bear in mind storms tend not to go to bed just because it’s nighttime and the expectation is that Dennis wants to enjoy UK hospitality for the whole weekend.

To answer your other question, yes BA can rebook onto KM in disruption, though this will be the airport team not the call centre, so if you realise something is up, best to go to Luqa early and ask there. If you suspect flights will be busy then go armed with options - KM also serve BHX, MAN and a few others if you’re willing to take a train, or the likes of KL, AF, etc. can also be used.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Confus
LGW does have some restrictions at night, but you’re right it’s looser than LHR - and still being in the winter schedule does mean there’s some slack to run later flights. Being the start of the school hols I imagine they might attempt this, if it’s safe to do so - but bear in mind storms tend not to go to bed just because it’s nighttime and the expectation is that Dennis wants to enjoy UK hospitality for the whole weekend.

To answer your other question, yes BA can rebook onto KM in disruption, though this will be the airport team not the call centre, so if you realise something is up, best to go to Luqa early and ask there. If you suspect flights will be busy then go armed with options - KM also serve BHX, MAN and a few others if you’re willing to take a train, or the likes of KL, AF, etc. can also be used.
For flights cancelled on day of departure in the contact centres we are now able to rebook any carriers BA have a ticket agreement with.
CTV, lfc84 and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Having endured a rather challenging GLA-LGW-BOD last Sunday, which took 29 hours, I am hoping my return tomorrow will be a little less challenging despite the weather forecast.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 6:12 pm

Any long flights at risk? I’m in to LHR on BA092 arriving Sunday morning and then out on BA123 Sunday night.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by YYZPolarBear
Any long flights at risk? I’m in to LHR on BA092 arriving Sunday morning and then out on BA123 Sunday night.
Last week it seemed BA cancelled a few ex-USA departures on Saturday night tactically keeping the aircraft stateside for an extra 24 hours to avoid it getting stuck in London and there were no 747 departures from Heathrow on Sunday as it was outside their operating limits. Don’t think the wind is going to be as bad this weekend but never say never and keep an eye on MMB, Flight status on the BA App to check your inbound aircraft and of course this thread.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:00 pm

I’m here at LHR T3 and just waiting for a full breakie in the Curator (I think it’s called) before checking out the T3 BA lounge. My flight is 0755 to LHR, BA794.

So far so good...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.