Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need some help!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Need some help!

Hi all - I've only just been turned onto this forum by chance with a recent fellow traveller. I'm 10 points shy of hitting Bronze membership so BA have given me a 2 week grace period to make up the total.
What are some of the easiest and cheapest destinations to get these tier points with, flying from London?

Any help would be massively appreciated.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Synergy86
Hi all - I've only just been turned onto this forum by chance with a recent fellow traveller. I'm 10 points shy of hitting Bronze membership so BA have given me a 2 week grace period to make up the total.
What are some of the easiest and cheapest destinations to get these tier points with, flying from London?

Any help would be massively appreciated.
Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Forum Synergy86 and you've certainly come to the right place here.

It will be fairly easy to get 10 TP's with a domestic flight anywhere to and from in the UK as the cheapest cash fares give 5TP's. Even if they're a little bit expensive you can reduce the cash amount of the fare by using Avios to do so but that's just an option.

So, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Manchester are easily manageable in a day and is what I'd be looking at and Gatwick can be cheaper the Heathrow in my experience.

For more TP's and get to Silver next year (?) for even more TP's there is a Tier Point run thread in the BA Forum Dashboard which is full of lots of fantastic information for all BA and oneworld related matters as well as countless other subjects.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Hi Synergy86 and welcome to the forum, you will (I am sure) recieve an official welcome from one of our friendly ambassadors very shortly.

You are lucky to be only 10TPs off as this is really the easiest to get! Any (cash not Avios) return flight on BA from London to anywhere will get you at least 10TPs. Some of the most common amongst users here on FT is a so called back-to-back to Amsterdam or Jersey, these are where you fly to the destination, get off the plane only to get straight abck onto the same plane back to the UK.

The excellent Tier Point Run thread contains a lot of useful infomration in the first few posts.

It does depend on your availability, however it would be very easy to do a back-to-back in Amsterdam this Saturday for under £80, BA434 followed by BA435

See here for details on back to backs: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...tinations.html
See here for the Tier Point Run thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...er-thread.html
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
A domestic day return from LGW/LHR/LCY in the cheapest fare bucket will earn you 5TPs each way.

Edit: Too Slow!
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:11 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Something like this, to Venice, will do it. Earlier starts available if you want a day trip.

https://www.google.com/flights?hl=en...302*2.GBP.7302

I would also be looking at JER, EDI, GLA, AMS, LUX, but you'll probably struggle within 2 weeks of flying.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies - currently thinking LGW to GLA is probably the easiest, cheapest and least hassle to get the points.

For B2B in a British airport from a British airport, am I right in assuming I can just check in for both flights online then just walk straight to the departure gate on landing? No need to go through immigration etc?

Sorry, I'm still a bit new to this
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
The link given by wilsnunn on back-to-back destinations has all the answers you are looking for. Good luck!
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Thanks for the replies - currently thinking LGW to GLA is probably the easiest, cheapest and least hassle to get the points.

For B2B in a British airport from a British airport, am I right in assuming I can just check in for both flights online then just walk straight to the departure gate on landing? No need to go through immigration etc?

No immigration required as it's a domestic. I've only experience at EDI, my home airport, which in my experience is extremely easy 95% of the time. You get off the plane into the gate where you then go back on once boarding is ready to start. There is a Back to Back Thread here and no doubt others may post re Glasgow experiences but seems to be similar according to the Wiki.

Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:15 am

Plenty of good suggestions here if you want to notch up those last 10 points.

May I ask why you seek bronze? The benefits are rather limited and depending on your likely future travel plans, there may be better ways to spend your hard earned cash.

Of course, if you just fancy getting status because you can, that's fine too.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by windowontheAside

May I ask why you seek bronze? The benefits are rather limited and depending on your likely future travel plans, there may be better ways to spend your hard earned cash.

I initially thought the same. I asked Mrs Wilsnunn (who is Bronze) what she finds useful as a Bronze and she stated the following:

- Business class check in desks when travelling on any OW carrier
- Seat selection at T-7 days

That is about it from her. From my side of things as the head of the Household Account, I appreciate the extra Avios that she brings when she flies.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:26 am
Original Poster

To be fair, I've been weighing it up against the cost of getting to Gatwick and getting home again (I live near Birmingham) and to be honest, I think I might wait until a sale rocks up and do a silver run. The bronze benefits are nice (the speedy check-in) but I already earn Avios from my credit card and am likely to take a long-haul business class flight in the next year anyway.

I massively appreciate all the help from everybody, but I think bronze status for ~£150-£200 all in might be a bit much. I'm going to study the hell out of the tier run threads and see what I can do!
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:29 am

Programs: BA Silver

GLA is a great B2B choice: you decant into exactly the same area as those waiting to board.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver

Even if the benefits are limited, it's better than not having any status at all. Having seat selection 7 days before gets you a better choice of seats without having to pay those seat selection fees or waiting until online check in. The 25% Avios bonus is nice too. Sure Silver is obviously better and has more perks, but if someone only flies enough to earn Bronze I wouldn't discourage them from getting it.
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:42 am

I'm not trying to discourage the OP - and I hope it didn't come across that way.

Spending time and money on a short-notice TP run in the two week extension confers the minimum possible time at that status, and sometimes it can be worth considering if the money is better spent in a sale to get more TPs and/or a more fun trip for the following year. But so much depends on future travel plans - if this year has been unusual for the OP, then yes it makes sense to go for it, If travel plans are likely to continue at this rate or increase then it's worth looking at all the options before spending the time and money.
dougzz likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Every ladder has a bottom rung.

Go for it: seat selection, check-in, modest increase in Avios earning ... and making next year’s Silver a bit easier and more comfortable to achieve.

But WotAs makes some good pouns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.