FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Coronavirus TP collection dilemma (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2008382-coronavirus-tp-collection-dilemma.html)

carrotjuice Feb 9, 2020 6:07 pm

Coronavirus TP collection dilemma

There I thought I was smart to have arranged (at personal expense during recent CX and QR sales) two TP runs, one in late Feb by which I’d hit 2,500 TPs to unlock my GUF2, and another in early May to hit 3,000 TPs to renew GGL before my membership year ends on 8 June. These are intended to be my last two trips of the current membership year.

But in light of recent Coronavirus situation, family members have been, in a subtle manner, suggesting that I abandon those trips - first fear of bringing the virus home, no GGL is worth your health, etc. etc. And the grumblings have gotten louder over the recent weeks. I may get a refund on the air tickets purchased - or may not, as there’s currently no WHO advisory on the countries that I’m flying to, or even HKG where I’m transiting on some of the flights.

Surely I’m not the only one at such crossroads... what would you do? Take a chance and still fly? Or jump ship now, knowing you’d not requalify GGL again (as I’d never hit 5,000 TPs in any one year)?

nachosdelux Feb 9, 2020 6:24 pm

Champagne is the ideal antiviral. Go for it!

groenroos Feb 9, 2020 6:42 pm

Data will of course change over time as it's an evolving situation, but as of right now, 0.00000006% of the UK population is infected with the coronavirus, and 99.84% of those infected outside of Hubei province have so far survived it. You'll be fine as long as you do the normal sensible everyday things everyone should always do anyway to take care of their hygiene and health; wash your hands, sneeze into tissues, don't lick your fingers, don't lick the floor, don't pick other people's noses.

Buon viaggio!

jerry a. laska Feb 9, 2020 6:48 pm

This is all rather up to your individual wants and desires and how badly you want or need the GUF and GGL. In my opinion, I'm not sure two long haul mileage are worth the return, but I'm not GGL. But I don't think I would just cancel flights I have booked just because I would be flying in a metal tube.

I assume the February flight is the one that does not transit HKG? If so, I'm not sure I would cancel that trip if I really needed the GUF but I also don't know where you are going. As for the later trip (transitting HKG) I would wait to see how things play out. If you regularly take mileage runs to retain status why not consider one to another "safer" destination?

LTN Phobia Feb 9, 2020 8:36 pm

Isn't it a bit early to be thinking about May? Maybe think about that one nearer the time?
Even the situation late Feb is unknown. Things may develop one way or another that will affect your decision.
You could cancel them closer to date if and when it becomes needed?

GGL is definitely not worth the risk to your health, but the issue here is, the real risk to health is currently somewhat unknown, although I think we know the worst case scenario, which doesn't seem too bad in terms of personal risk (that's not to underestimate the suffering anyone who catches it may go through).

However, I do think that there is a significant risk to one's schedule and a significant risk to one's convenience (e.g. flight cancellations, border measures etc.).

carrotjuice Feb 9, 2020 11:30 pm

Unfortunately of concern (to my family members) is my planned CX TP run at end Feb, where I transit HKG not once, not twice... but thrice!

jagmeets Feb 9, 2020 11:43 pm

Not sure about QR, but CX has a rebooking waiver for HKG (arrival/departure/transit)- so that might be an option- see how thing pan out and take the go/no-go call a couple of months later?

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...Hong-Kong.html

discussion here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...y-pacific.html

plunet Feb 9, 2020 11:46 pm

The situation in Hubei is terrible, but as said above the real impact of the virus outside of Hubei is limited and there is s lot of media hype about the situation. Thus may change but if the recognise impact of the virus is similar as it is today I would fly.

:D! Feb 10, 2020 12:37 am

At this stage, the risks are more about being forcibly stuck somewhere for 14 days. Would you be happy to be sent to hospital in any of the countries that your flights touch?

econ Feb 10, 2020 1:19 am

Originally Posted by jagmeets (Post 32053661)
Not sure about QR, but CX has a rebooking waiver for HKG (arrival/departure/transit)- so that might be an option- see how thing pan out and take the go/no-go call a couple of months later?

Unfortunately according to the CX guidelines, while they are waving the rebooking/change fee, they are still applying the fare/tax difference on rebooked flights, which might not be ideal if those CX sale prices that OP purchased aren't around anymore.

dici Feb 10, 2020 1:58 am

I would say do not transit via HKG or even SIN at the moment, let alone all the China Airport. It just not worth the risk

Some country may even impose travel ban for those with certain history, not sure if UK will impose the self quarantine by anytime soon

Too much travel Feb 10, 2020 4:16 am

As a HK-based GGL with a May year-end, I'd say the following:

- Yes, the virus is dangerous, but if you're generally sensible with your hygiene practices then you can minimise the risk. Also, I now always get the first flight out of HKG in the morning, and return on the late evening flights (the theory being that they will be minimal mainland China connecting passengers. This has indeed been the case as I hear much less Mandarin on flights nowadays).

- In any case, HKG airport has become a bit of a ghost town as flight capacity has been massively cut... it's actually quite pleasant in Wing F / Pier F nowadays.

- The higher risk isn't contracting the virus, but rather being caught in potential future travel restrictions that may be applied to anyone who's been through certain countries. At the moment that's China, but some countries have also included Hong Kong in quarantine zone. As others have pointed out above, it would be massively inconvenient if you get quarantined for two weeks when you return home!

- One of the most cost-efficient TP runs in Asia is TPE-KUL, which gets you 280 TP return. Is there a way you can squeeze one in during one of your upcoming trips? Bear in mind Taiwan is extremely strict, and will deny you entry if you've been in China, HK or Macau in the 14 days prior to Taiwan. I'd say the chances of Malaysia and Taiwan being included in future travel restrictions is relatively low at present - places like Hong Kong and Singapore are further up the risk scale.

Blueboys999 Feb 10, 2020 4:36 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 32052979)

Surely I’m not the only one at such crossroads... what would you do? Take a chance and still fly? Or jump ship now, knowing you’d not requalify GGL again (as I’d never hit 5,000 TPs in any one year)?

For me the decision would be based solely on my perception of the health risk but ultimately it has to be 100% your call.

bisonrav Feb 10, 2020 4:43 am

The perception of the risk, as things are currently at least, is well beyond the actual risk. Just monitor and take advice from health professionals.

carrotjuice Feb 10, 2020 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Too much travel (Post 32054096)
As a HK-based GGL with a May year-end, I'd say the following:

- Yes, the virus is dangerous, but if you're generally sensible with your hygiene practices then you can minimise the risk. Also, I now always get the first flight out of HKG in the morning, and return on the late evening flights (the theory being that they will be minimal mainland China connecting passengers. This has indeed been the case as I hear much less Mandarin on flights nowadays).

- In any case, HKG airport has become a bit of a ghost town as flight capacity has been massively cut... it's actually quite pleasant in Wing F / Pier F nowadays.

- The higher risk isn't contracting the virus, but rather being caught in potential future travel restrictions that may be applied to anyone who's been through certain countries. At the moment that's China, but some countries have also included Hong Kong in quarantine zone. As others have pointed out above, it would be massively inconvenient if you get quarantined for two weeks when you return home!

- One of the most cost-efficient TP runs in Asia is TPE-KUL, which gets you 280 TP return. Is there a way you can squeeze one in during one of your upcoming trips? Bear in mind Taiwan is extremely strict, and will deny you entry if you've been in China, HK or Macau in the 14 days prior to Taiwan. I'd say the chances of Malaysia and Taiwan being included in future travel restrictions is relatively low at present - places like Hong Kong and Singapore are further up the risk scale.

Thank you... the information from a HKG perspective is very useful. Guess the more paranoid people are about not travelling, the less risky it is for us to who need to.