Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Monday 10 Feb Weather - Disruption - BA flight assistance and information

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Monday 10 Feb Weather - Disruption - BA flight assistance and information

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2020, 5:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by ginger50
critical comments on this forum about the ability of AMS to operate in adverse weather
You rang?

Guesstimating the situation at AMS, unless things are really critical (very low or zero arrival rate) then they tend to prioritise long haul arrivals and make short haul services wait via flow restrictions (and also cancellations) - so long ground holds for many short haul operators leading to delayed arrival but OK arrivals for long haul operations. That means the PHL-AMS is likely to get there OK.

For departure, again short haul takes most of the cancellations but all can end up waiting a lot for departure. Most long haul do leave eventually. Gate congestion can also be an issue, with a long queue for departures leading to inability to unload and reload passengers onto aircraft because no gates are free. That means the AMS-PHL is likely to leave, but to leave late. It may well board on time (and I doubt AA would keep their checkin open beyond the usual time) and wait on the ground for a departure slot.

As ever, prepare for the wait by boarding with a full set of entertainment and hydration, and an empty bladder.

This overview applies to all airlines at AMS.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 10:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by alex67500
Well I'd never seen that approach, I thought that runway was a thing of the past and was never used!

The runway is used for departures (only 26) from time to time. For landings, rarely.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:20 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by florens
The runway is used for departures (only 26) from time to time. For landings, rarely.
What's interesting is that it looks like they were lining up for 15 and then did a short turn to go into 26.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
What's interesting is that it looks like they were lining up for 15 and then did a short turn to go into 26.
This is the standard approach. I found that old chart online:

alex67500 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 5:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes as shown by Florens there is no instrument approach in to 26 - I am assuming there is some high ground to the East. There are a few approaches like this across Europe where you effectively fly in towards another runway and then do a visual circle to land - some examples off the top of my head include Pisa, Slazburg, and Calvi
florens and alex67500 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
I'm not impressed by the fact that the Gold Line was unreachable and that cancellations were announced only a few hours before flights were due but I'm happy to report the recovery went well. 12 hours after putting in my claim it was already resolved. I had to go slightly higher than the guidelines for meals and for one night of the hotel (staying in the ZRH Radisson Blu which is attached to the terminal, which was 220 GBP with breakfast this one time) but all went well.

So now I'll be a lot calmer next time this happens
Old Feb 15, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by thebigben
I'm not impressed by the fact that the Gold Line was unreachable and that cancellations were announced only a few hours before flights were due but I'm happy to report the recovery went well. 12 hours after putting in my claim it was already resolved. I had to go slightly higher than the guidelines for meals and for one night of the hotel (staying in the ZRH Radisson Blu which is attached to the terminal, which was 220 GBP with breakfast this one time) but all went well.

So now I'll be a lot calmer next time this happens
My claim was submitted on Monday, agreed with no quibbles (hotel, ~€60 for dinner for two and taxi to airport) and I had money yesterday so good recovery.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 1:13 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
You will be pleased to hear that I am not flying today 😂 😂 But my daughter is!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.