Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Monday 10 Feb Weather - Disruption - BA flight assistance and information

Monday 10 Feb Weather - Disruption - BA flight assistance and information

Old Feb 10, 2020, 6:30 am

Hmm my case is a bit complicated. I booked London - Rome return via Vitality (afaik they don't have an agent I can reach), but didn't travel in the end due to change of plans. The inbound was due to operate yesterday but was cancelled. Can I still get a refund in this case? Tried to phone BA but could never get through, and twitter agent told me to contact the travel agent??
Old Feb 10, 2020, 6:40 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by strayersong
Hmm my case is a bit complicated. I booked London - Rome return via Vitality (afaik they don't have an agent I can reach), but didn't travel in the end due to change of plans. The inbound was due to operate yesterday but was cancelled. Can I still get a refund in this case? Tried to phone BA but could never get through, and twitter agent told me to contact the travel agent??
If you didn't travel on the outbound, then your inbound ticket would have automatically been cancelled anyway. So, very doubtful you'll be able to get any refund.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:11 am

Has AMS been blown further to the east since yesterday? Flight time increased with more than 1 hour:

Last edited by StanStorby; Feb 10, 2020 at 9:13 am Reason: Fixed picture
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by StanStorby
Has AMS been blown further to the east since yesterday? Flight time increased with more than 1 hour:
That will be due to flow control into AMS due to winds. You'll probably board on time, but then wait for a slot.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
99% chance of an on-time boarding followed long ground hold while AMS attempts to get its aviation life in order. I have to say that over here, in the center of Amsterdam, it is definitely windy and I have seen several lightning flashes off to the south. Visibility is also on the murky side.

Ensure you have a full supply of hydration and entertainment, and an empty bladder, when boarding.
adrianlondon and StanStorby like this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
That will be due to flow control into AMS due to winds. You'll probably board on time, but then wait for a slot.
Originally Posted by flatlander
99% chance of an on-time boarding followed long ground hold while AMS attempts to get its aviation life in order. I have to say that over here, in the center of Amsterdam, it is definitely windy and I have seen several lightning flashes off to the south. Visibility is also on the murky side.

Ensure you have a full supply of hydration and entertainment, and an empty bladder, when boarding.
My “quick” trip to Helsinki slightly starts to grow into a full blown Holiday. I don’t think I can sell another night in an airport hotel to my family members. Fingers crossed.
DYKWIA and wmaciej like this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There were a few more cancellations as the day has gone on, here is the current situation

LCY
BA3291 MUC 08:05
BA4453 RTM 08:20
BA8489 AMS 10:55
BA3286 IOM 15:05
BA3295 MUC 18:45

LGW
BA2510 GLA 06:05
BA2500 EDI 07:15
BA2512 GLA 07:20
BA2758 AMS 07:45
BA2540 FCO 12:00
(no extra cancellations beyond the ones sent out last night)

LHR
BA0710 MUC 07:00
BA0918 STR 07:25
BA0416 LUX 07:50
BA0906 FRA 08:20
BA0950 MUC 08:55
BA0712 ZRH 09:10
BA1526 PHX 09:30 (unexplained)
BA0926 MUC 10:45
BA0700 VIE 11:00
BA0952 MUC 12:10
BA0438 AMS 12:55
BA0177 JFK 13:00 (new)
BA0954 MUC 14:00 (new)

BA0908 FRA 14:10
BA0966 HAM 15:05
BA0944 DUS 16:00
BA0960 MUC 16:40 (new)

plus the previously cancelled SJC, PKX and PVG. The SIN-SYD service came back to the scheduled time.

Mostly the delays seem to be due to the weather in central Europe, with some knock-on delays. GLA has had some middle length delays too.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by StanStorby
My “quick” trip to Helsinki slightly starts to grow into a full blown Holiday. I don’t think I can sell another night in an airport hotel to my family members. Fingers crossed.
I’m not joking: plane is held by a container from the previous flight that got stuck in the cargo hold. Amsterdam is still a dream for me, as is my house in Belgium.... And to make the story even funnier: I need to return to Rotterdam tomorrow morning with the first Thalys....
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just popping back to say thanks for help and info from everyone over the weekend. We were rebooked BCN-LHR-EDI from Sun pm to Mon am as our BCN flight was pulled late afternoon on Saturday. Sunday was indeed a very fine day in Barcelona and we made the most of our unplanned half day in the city. It was far better to know in advance we were stranded so to my mind BA made right call to pull flights early.

Today's return - a painful 0530 alarm for 0600 taxi excepted - was not too far out the ordinary. 30 mins late into T3 at LHR, bit of bounce on approach but had worse. Whizzed over to T5 using Underground, 5 mins queue at F Wing security (zut alors!) but had an hour in lounge to recombobulate and check in with work who have fortunately been fairly understanding. Approx. 45 mins delay on LHR-EDI so into a snowy Edinburgh around 1 hour late (or 16 hours late, depending on how you cut it). Again, we got kicked around on climb and descent but smooth flying in the cruise.

All that now remains is to file the claim for accommodation and vitals...

Hope everyone else has had a decent ending to their own little misadventures.
T8191 and MM00LL2 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

BA0177 JFK 13:00 (new)

Mostly the delays seem to be due to the weather in central Europe, with some knock-on delays. GLA has had some middle length delays too.
BA0177 went tech
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Anybody able assist on the reason for this delay last night? I don’t see any reason noted which is unusual and the plane was at LHR from 5pm while other A321’s took-off with much smaller delays, so just curious.

Pilot37
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Pilot37
Anybody able assist on the reason for this delay last night? I don’t see any reason noted which is unusual and the plane was at LHR from 5pm while other A321’s took-off with much smaller delays, so just curious.
Did the captain not say anything in his / her pre-flight message? I would guess the problem was either a shortage of crew, which I know they had problems with yesterday, or - and probably more likely - the flight was given a slot restriction from ATC due to the considerable backlog of flights yesterday evening.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
CH being hit by strong winds again, flights to BSL are diverting all over the place. I suspect the BA756 which is about to depart LHR and tomorrow‘s BA751 back to LHR might be affected.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Brrrr. It was cold standing in the wind and rain queuing to board BA1337 from Newcastle at gate 2. I thought BA used a jet bridge in Newcastle? Is this related to the weather?

Last edited by ChrL; Feb 10, 2020 at 1:37 pm
Old Feb 10, 2020, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Did the captain not say anything in his / her pre-flight message? I would guess the problem was either a shortage of crew, which I know they had problems with yesterday, or - and probably more likely - the flight was given a slot restriction from ATC due to the considerable backlog of flights yesterday evening.
Hi c-w-s
I was on the return sector which ended up being delayed from 8.40pm Sunday evening to 12pm Monday afternoon - and all the Captain mentioned was maximum cross wind components being exceeded, but other BA A321’s continued to operate during the DUB delay, so I was wondering if specific crew are limited compared to other Airbus crew at BA?

Pilot37

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.