International to Domestic at MIA

Old Feb 9, 20, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver; VS Gold; HHonors Diamond; Amex Centurion; IHG Platinum; Club Accor Platinum; TfL Oyster.
International to Domestic at MIA

Help please from those who know MIA and MCT.

Arriving MIA at 15:00 on BA207 and originally booked out of MIA to MCO on BA2436/AA1194 at 17:30. The 17:30 is cancelled and BA have rebooked us on BA4350/AA1950 at 16:43 departure. We are US citizens with GE. Is this realistic to the cognoscenti? We would have checked bags (but are no strangers to arriving at MCO or TPA from Miami without our “accompanying” baggage after international or domestic connections). Is it realistic, risky or nigh on impossible? We have found the TSA checks at MIA between flights to vary quite a lot. Might AA help us to achieve such a transfer? Am I just a “Nervous Nellie”?
Old Feb 9, 20, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It's 2 hours MCT for that connection. I suspect at some point the system will pick this up and rebook you on a later MIA-MCO flight. You may want to have a look yourself and pro-actively call to sort it though - I think the next flight is one at 2053 (AA463 & BA codeshare BA4339).

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .55 1.00 1.30 1.30
OFFLINE .55 1.00 1.30 1.30
** OR * ARE ALL
BA-AA ID 1.35
**-AA ID SUP
**-AA ID 2.0
crazyarmadillo likes this.

Last edited by KARFA; Feb 9, 20 at 7:52 am
Old Feb 9, 20, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Better to call now and have it taken care of. No idea when you are flying, but the longer you wait the less appealing the options may becomes, including as to seating.
Old Feb 9, 20, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Better to call now and have it taken care of. No idea when you are flying, but the longer you wait the less appealing the options may becomes, including as to seating.
Yes, rebook. Global Entry in Miami is fast, very fast. It has the new facial recognition machines. Baggage delivery, if you need that, runs like a snail.
Old Feb 9, 20, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by midvid View Post
Yes, rebook. Global Entry in Miami is fast, very fast.
It's actually not. Arrived the other day on AA 57 with Global Entry. As the officers still check the ticket, you had to do the Global Entry procedure at the machine and then go to the back to this huge snaking line to have your ticket checked, probably a 20-25 min wait. Perhaps I was unlucky with the timing as the flight was 30-40 mins late.
Old Feb 9, 20, 10:45 am

I have done a 1h45 international-:>domestic connection at MIA and whilst I personally made it, other connecting passengers did not (plane had to be held as there were so many late.)

It was extremely stressful and I would not recommend it at all - change if you can.
Old Feb 9, 20, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes so whilst it’s possible to actually do it under 2 hours, the OP has this on one ticket and MCT is 2 hours so a rebooking is necessary. This won’t be optional, the booking can’t remain like this with a connection under MCT.
Cymro and crazyarmadillo like this.
Old Feb 9, 20, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver; VS Gold; HHonors Diamond; Amex Centurion; IHG Platinum; Club Accor Platinum; TfL Oyster.
Thanks everybody. You confirmed my own experiences with International to Domestic at MIA. On the good side (if there is one), it's nice to know that I am not personally cursed, as I had begun to suspect.
Passmethesickbag and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 9, 20, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Thanks everybody. You confirmed my own experiences with International to Domestic at MIA. On the good side (if there is one), it's nice to know that I am not personally cursed, as I had begun to suspect.
Just to make things clear, the responses so far have been aimed at potential problems regarding your connection in MIA.. As per your last reflexion, IMHO, few of us will be able to answer that.
Old Feb 9, 20, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Just an update, which leaves me feeling dubious. My email notification of the original flight's cancellation: 17:30 ex MIA after 15:00 international arrival: with its substitution of a 16:43 ex MIA was discussed with BA Customer Service. It wasn't very reassuring that the email gave an incomplete US telephone number (+189062674) but the UK number beneath (+442032500145) got me through. The CS Agent assured me that MCT in MIA is now 1h 35m. That sounds like asking for a miracle, with a guarantee that the bags will be left in MIA, even if we are not. Flight date is July 29, so plenty of time for further changes, I guess. Option offered is 20:01 ex MIA for MCO but five hours in MIA sounds like torture. I think I'll chance it and take (or miss) the 16:43 departure.
Old Feb 9, 20, 6:42 pm

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
Bizarrely, Expertflyer is showing the 1730 flight as operating (and also showing the 1643 as a valid connection).
Old Feb 9, 20, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag View Post
Bizarrely, Expertflyer is showing the 1730 flight as operating (and also showing the 1643 as a valid connection).
Is it still showing the BA codeshare though? BA has changed some of the MIA - MCO codeshares.
Old Feb 9, 20, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

I noticed that AA still showed the flight as operating but I just guessed that BA was ahead of the curve. What next, I wonder?
Old Feb 9, 20, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

does it? I tried itamatrix and aa.com yesterday to check and neither showed it as an available connection.
Old Feb 10, 20, 12:12 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL/CCR
I tried before to leave the issue such as indicated in the hope the computer doesn't pick it up. Unfortunately it normally does and the longer you leave it will give you less options.

I have been under by one minute before(schedule change) and the pesky computer picked it up. (Booked via aa.com).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: