Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Agent Rebooked me on to Earlier Flight than Asked for

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2020, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat, BA Bronze, Hotels.com

Due to fly EDI - LDN on Thursday. Called BA to change to 735am departure to LCY rather than 1040 to LHR. Call went fine, flight chnaged, payment madse, job done.

Realised today when looking on phone agent booked me on the 705 EDI to LCY. Called up to ask them to ammend it to 735 per my request and the agent wasnt able to. Call was passed onto a supervisor and he refused to make the change.

Original call was handled in a German office. They dont know the agent who took the call. They know it was an agent in Germany. Because it was Germany, the dont have a recording of the call. They have the agents notes which say he took read out the updated iteneray details ahead of finalising the booking.

Supervisor was "very sorry" but as his colleague in Germany has written down he read the iteneray details back to me, i would have to pay for the change. Said there's no one i can complain to before I travel. I would have to travel (pay the change fee) then submit a complaint.

So the supervisor would prefer to take his anonymous colleague's word ofer my word.

There's actually no fare difference, only the change fee of Ł60.

Thoughts on next steps? Just paying it isnt an option my end.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 5:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by The doomed

Thoughts on next steps? .
Set your alarm 30 minutes earlier?
jerry a. laska, shuly, SK and 17 others like this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 5:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Not much you can do at the moment. However on the day you may be able to do a same day change for free. I assume SDC applies to LCY flights. However, if it is an economy basic or not a point to point flight then you won’t be able to.
The doomed likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
So the supervisor would prefer to take his anonymous colleague's word ofer my word.

There's actually no fare difference, only the change fee of Ł60.

Thoughts on next steps? Just paying it isnt an option my end.
Call centre agents have, IME, a pretty standard routine of reading out the flight number, date and times off the screen that they're looking at when they do the job for you. If you haven't got a written record of that read-out yourself, showing that the agent read out one thing when his screen was actually something else, then it seems unlikely that the agent did that.

If you can't or won't pay the change fee, then I agree with the suggestion of getting up 30 minutes earlier.
Misco60 and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Call centre agents have, IME, a pretty standard routine of reading out the flight number, date and times off the screen that they're looking at when they do the job for you. If you haven't got a written record of that read-out yourself, showing that the agent read out one thing when his screen was actually something else, then it seems unlikely that the agent did that.

If you can't or won't pay the change fee, then I agree with the suggestion of getting up 30 minutes earlier.
Not sure how much a written record would help. As it happens, I have a scribble in my notebook with 735am and the new booking code (new code as booking was split, original booking was with a +1 who wasn't changing flight). But I doubt that's of any use.

Do BA have any other contact points that are accessible around pre-flight customer service?
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:52 am

Send a DM on Twitter, somehow they will need to pull the call recording.
The doomed likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:57 am

Not sure how much a written record would help. As it happens, I have a scribble in my notebook with 735am and the new booking code (new code as booking was split, original booking was with a +1 who wasn't changing flight). But I doubt that's of any use.

Do BA have any other contact points that are accessible around pre-flight customer service?
7.05 and 7.35 sound similar and in the absence of any recording it’s your word against theirs as to where the error lies. A scribble of the flight number read-back as well as time would help wonders here.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Magic01273
Set your alarm 30 minutes earlier?
Aye, sadly not quite that simple!
Old Feb 8, 2020, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Did you not get an email confirmation after the phone call? If so - and it states 7.05, ba will understandably say that you should have checked and contacted them immediately if there was a mistake (under 24 hours they would have fixed it). If you didn’t, on the other hand, I’d say they are for not sending you a written itinerary confirmation.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Did you not get an email confirmation after the phone call? If so - and it states 7.05, ba will understandably say that you should have checked and contacted them immediately if there was a mistake (under 24 hours they would have fixed it). If you didn’t, on the other hand, I’d say they are for not sending you a written itinerary confirmation.
No email received. Only email I have I have had original flight info on it which is actually why I logged in to check the booking today (received 10:26, I called 11:57).

​​​​​I also need the receipt...

​​​​​
Old Feb 8, 2020, 1:05 pm

I would say for the life of you get tweeting, it could be the accent or a mix up but you can only hope they change.
The doomed likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Doesn't BA have a cooling off policy for changes, allowing one further change within 24 hours?
The doomed likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501
Doesn't BA have a cooling off policy for changes, allowing one further change within 24 hours?
Just check call times, called today before midday and call yesterday was 12:30, so would fall within that timeframe, if such a policy exists.

​​​​​​Have sent them a DM on twitter.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Not sure how much a written record would help.
If you write down what the agent says, it would be some evidence that the agent looked at one thing on his screen and said something different. That's a high hurdle to surmount, given that the agent would have had to have seen one flight number on his screen and told you a different flight number, and then seen one departure time on his screen and told you a different time - and then the wrong flight number and the wrong departure time happen to match. But it's not impossible that that's what he did, and some written evidence from you would be better than none if you need to try to show that he got it wrong.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:56 am

Due to fly EDI - LDN on Thursday.
I hate to say it, but your OP doesn’t fill one with confidence for your notation accuracy.
LDN = Lamidanda, Nepal
LON = metro city code for London, UK
The doomed and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.