Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Beware of rigid BA rules for new members earning status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott LTT, AS Gold

I just completed an utterly frustrating call with a perfectly pleasant customer service agent whose hands were tied by BA's rigid policies. I was asking the agent to allow me to select a seat, rather than wait for the day prior to boarding. If BA had status matching, they would avoid such requests. What I'm learning is that it is painful to switch alliances with an inflexible carrier. I'll have earned BA Silver by the time I board the flight in question, but the system will not have had time to recognize my newly earned status, so for now, I am subject to Blue-level treatment. The failure of the company to reciprocate my commitment, since I have already booked and paid for flights that will eventually accrue BA Gold status, is perplexing. It feels a bit like hazing and, as such, does not entice high status flyers to switch to BA. While none of this comes as a big surprise, somehow I thought the airline would be reasonably flexible once I demonstrated my commitment. Oh well, others beware!
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I am sorry to read of your frustration, but do you not pass through the Bronze stage before getting Silver? I know it's technically possible to go from Blue to Silver but mostly people have at least a period of time at Bronze, which gives a 7 day free seat selection period.

If that doesn't apply, I think I'd go with pragmatism here: pay the seat selection fee and smile that this would be the last time you would need to do so. Moreover Theoretical Seating may make the seat selection process even better when Silver (see relevant thread in the BA Forum Dashboard). Also on some flights by checking in the relevant thread on this forum, also in the Dashboard, you can make a judgement call as to how many seats will be swiped before OLCI. Note that only about a third of passenger OLCI in the first hour, depending on route, some routes it is a lot less. So depending on the specifics this may not be a big issue.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Sadly, Them’s da rules.

UNTIL you earn the higher status, you are where you are.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I'm sorry but why would an airline - that does not routinely status match - offer you benefits from a status that you have yet to earn?

Its just not what BA does
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I'm sorry but why would an airline - that does not routinely status match - offer you benefits from a status that you have yet to earn?
I think the OP gave the reasons in many words. Although some may think that they can be summed up in six letters.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott LTT, AS Gold
You're right that I'll have a rapid transition through Bronze - fewer than 7 days. Probably wise to pay the fee - thanks for the pragmatic suggestion.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:43 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by PowerM
You're right that I'll have a rapid transition through Bronze - fewer than 7 days. Probably wise to pay the fee - thanks for the pragmatic suggestion.
Are you still waiting for flights to credit or is it a matter of flights fully credited but a time lag for the new tier to show in your account?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by T8191
Sadly, Them’s da rules.

UNTIL you earn the higher status, you are where you are.
I do wonder why they only credit TPs if you fly.i'm not suggesting they should credit them early but if I book a flight I no longer need and don't cancel as it's not worth it for the £3.27 back in taxes it wouldnt kill them to gove me the TPs, they are essentially paid for.
bafan and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
are any of the major European airlines flexible in allowing perks to people who, while they may have flights booked, have not attained status?

Certainly from a "get on an earlier flight" perspective I have never found BA or LH as accommodating as AA has been. I imagine its much the same in other regards.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by tuonopepper
I do wonder why they only credit TPs if you fly.i'm not suggesting they should credit them early but if I book a flight I no longer need and don't cancel as it's not worth it for the £3.27 back in taxes it wouldnt kill them to gove me the TPs, they are essentially paid for.
That is why its called a frequent FLYER program not a rich boys purchase program.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed, rapidex ... a strange perspective of how things work IAW the clear BAEC T&C.

I get rewarded for paying AND flying BA.
rapidex, rickg523 and imkevinmc like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by rapidex
That is why its called a frequent FLYER program not a rich boys purchase program.
I suppose it kinda makes when you put it like that....
flyerkit likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
I suppose it kinda makes when you put it like that....
probably would be fairer for them to credit you the avios but not the TPs, as I imagine the rich boys can probably just buy the currency at a cheaper rate anyway, whereas status can’t be bought

however this will for evermore remain on “Nancy’s list of pipe dreams”, I suspect
tuonopepper and AJA_ like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And where’s my OBE/Knighthood for not doing what it says on the tin? All these years of flying BA (and AA and QR) to acquire Gold were meaningless? I despair sometimes.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:22 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by T8191
And where’s my OBE/Knighthood for not doing what it says on the tin? All these years of flying BA (and AA and QR) to acquire Gold were meaningless? I despair sometimes.
that’s on “uncle T’s list of pipe dreams”
T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.