Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Any sane routes from LHR to LGW, or cheap gatwick b2b's?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+

Ok, bear with me, appreciate it's a really silly question.... But I live a little south of Gatwick, and end a trip in a couple of weeks at T5 around 0930, on 1495 TP's. So it made me wonder if there was a (reasonably cheap) option of a quick hop somewhere nearby, grab a coffee, then head back to Gatwick.

This would just be to bag the last 5 TP's to get over the line before I take the Mrs away first week of March so we can use the F lounge. Anything e.g. domestic quick/cheap enough to justify for (in effect) a one-trip lounge upgrade? Or if not LHR-XXX-LGW then maybe LGW-XXX-LGW?

I looked and best I could find was AMS at around £200 in the cheap seats, but thought there might be a better option
Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:17 am

What about Aer Lingus LGW-DUB?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
LHR-AMS-LGW woud be relativly easy as you just move from one gate to another

But remember this wouldn't be a true B2B
Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:19 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by drwook
I looked and best I could find was AMS at around £200 in the cheap seats
Depending on the day and flight, you can get AMS-LGW for as little as 37 EUR. LHR-AMS will cost a little more, but may also be available to book with Avios as a Reward Flight Saver.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Glasgow is possible and I did do that once. Or possibly Malaga, Rome, that sort of thing.

Last edited by bisonrav; Feb 7, 2020 at 9:56 am
Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Have you thought about bumping one of the sectors in your trip to gran some extra TP's?
IMH likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:57 am

Programs: BAEC GfL
There is the BA1482 deps 10.30 (actual time varies each day by 5 to 10 mins) to GLA arrives latest 12.20, then there is 13.30 to LGW BA1487 not everyday though. GLA is a very easy change if all on time
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:05 am

If you only need 5TPs then I’d agree with the suggestion above to book a one way RFS from LHR and the return to LGW with cash.

Nice would get my vote if the flight times work for your dates. It looks like one way fares in the coming weeks are available from £25! If you are travelling light and have time to venture into the city then the weather there is likely to be nicer than AMS...

GVA is another option and works well if you were considering a day trip rather than B2B
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by EMA ON BA
If you only need 5TPs then I’d agree with the suggestion above to book a one way RFS from LHR and the return to LGW with cash.
Would probably beat the trip on the M25/M23 at the moment.
T8191 and george77300 like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Awesome, thanks all - for some reason AMS is really expensive the day I need but Glasgow looks like it works and might not be far off beating the tube/train combo! Is the lounge there OK for a coffee or glass of wine if I have time, or is it just special brew and scotch??
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:51 am

The GLA lounge is fine. It even has a little whisky corner with an animated fire as I recall. Get it on one ticket though, if LHR->GLA->LGW it's easy if on time, but delays out of LHR are possible and that would screw you if on separate tickets.

I think EDI also works for this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver
GLA lounge is fine and @bisonrav is correct about the snug - it's very pleasant. You're out of luck on the special brew I'm afraid.
jonkx likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Does a cheap LGW-JER-LGW fit the bill? With 5 rotations a day that should be painless..

Did that once going the other way ... savings on Duty Free cigs and a bottle almost covered the cost.
jonkx likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
Does a cheap LGW-JER-LGW fit the bill? With 5 rotations a day that should be painless..

Did that once going the other way ... savings on Duty Free cigs and a bottle almost covered the cost.
Evening Uncle T. The OP is starting at LHR though, and is looking to get back to LGW.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:40 pm

Easy enough to get the National Express to LGW and do a jersey run early afternoon to evening. But I suspect there's some satisfaction in flying from LHR to LGW rather than using land transportation. Because that's why I did it too.
T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.