Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What would happen to BA's SYD route if they stop flying to SIN?

Old Feb 6, 20, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?

With the third UK coronavirus patient having been infected in Singapore, it seems possible that the next destination BA pulls out of could be Singapore (it has more confirmed cases than Hong Kong, for example, within a smaller population). Are they likely to have a backup plan for this eventuality? I imagine that setting up another intermediate stop for an all-BA route for a short term wouldn't make sense for them, but would they be likely to rebook passengers via a Gulf airport?
Old Feb 6, 20, 3:22 pm

Programs: GGL CCR
I am booked to take family for week to Singapore mid-Feb so may be biased, but think it's quite unlikely to happen. No flights coming in from China so would think Singapore should remain OK, but indeed interesting HK fewer. Curious to hear other people's view. Thanks!
Old Feb 6, 20, 3:33 pm

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag View Post
With the third UK coronavirus patient having been infected in Singapore, it seems possible that the next destination BA pulls out of could be Singapore (it has more confirmed cases than Hong Kong, for example, within a smaller population). Are they likely to have a backup plan for this eventuality? I imagine that setting up another intermediate stop for an all-BA route for a short term wouldn't make sense for them, but would they be likely to rebook passengers via a Gulf airport?
not sure it makes sense to run through these scenarios yet. For all the media hype, unless Australia was to cut all flights itís seems premature to take this concern further quite yet.

in the unlikely event (given what happened during SARS and mers), a reroute or reund is likely.
Old Feb 6, 20, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
Originally Posted by DFB_london View Post
not sure it makes sense to run through these scenarios yet. For all the media hype, unless Australia was to cut all flights it’s seems premature to take this concern further quite yet.

in the unlikely event (given what happened during SARS and mers), a reroute or reund is likely.
Surely a refund option would be legally required, but I'd be more interested in whether BA would reroute on other carriers. But yes, I'd very very keen to know what happened during SARS.
Old Feb 6, 20, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
LHR-(BA)-BKK-(QF)-SYD
LHR-(BA)-KUL-(MH)-SYD
LHR-(QF)-PER-(QF)-SYD
etc

BA can keep it in the family.

If the coronapanic goes on much further, I can see the LHR-PER route becoming popular with a certain subset of people.
Old Feb 6, 20, 3:52 pm

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
LHR-(BA)-BKK-(QF)-SYD
LHR-(BA)-KUL-(MH)-SYD
LHR-(QF)-PER-(QF)-SYD
etc

BA can keep it in the family.

If the coronapanic goes on much further, I can see the LHR-PER route becoming popular with a certain subset of people.
coronopanic will worsen before it gets better. But, airlines will consolidate services temporarily if it comes to that. Certainly no need to add worries about how the airlines will rationally manage this (which they do all the time for different shocks in the system) on top of the media panic.

So long as you are on one ticket, and not trying to do a questionable 40 minute back to back on different tickets before a big trip, then youíll be accommodated one way or other. Letís the airlines do the worrying for you.
Old Feb 6, 20, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Yes, I more mean the panic of people wanting to avoid any part of Asia. When I see people asking (in other online fora) questions such as whether it is safe to travel to Costa Rica at the moment due to Wuhan coronavirus then I think they're over-reacting and not making a factual risk assessment.
nancypants, HPN-HRL and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 6, 20, 4:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
.................If the coronapanic goes on much further, I can see the LHR-PER route becoming popular with a certain subset of people.
Always assuming they can find seats !

IIRC, Qantas reported last year that the non-stop service between PER and LHR had very quickly become the star performer of its entire international network, hitting average load factors as high as 94%.
Old Feb 6, 20, 4:35 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I'd say it's unlikely BA will scrap SIN just because of one single case like this, when Singapore has quite a strict set of restrictions in place.

Edited to add: It's not a community spread of unknown origin. They know when and where it was caught (a conference). So it shouldn't be too alarming.
argonath likes this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Feb 8, 20 at 4:49 am
Old Feb 6, 20, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Is LHR-BLR-SYD unlikely?
Old Feb 6, 20, 4:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by richardwft View Post
Is LHR-BLR-SYD unlikely?
Iíd say so, as Iím not sure if BA has fifth freedom rights from India, like they do in SIN
Old Feb 6, 20, 4:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Could they go through LAX as an add on perhaps?

Edit: Forgot about the Fifth Freedom thing.
FlyerTalker39574 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 20, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aidy View Post
Iíd say so, as Iím not sure if BA has fifth freedom rights from India, like they do in SIN
So probably seriously affects viability.

LHR-HNL (BA) then
HNL-SYD (QF) or is LHR-HNL too long?
Old Feb 6, 20, 5:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Tit, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by richardwft View Post
So probably seriously affects viability.

LHR-HNL (BA) then
HNL-SYD (QF) or is LHR-HNL too long?
Thereís always the JNB-SYD route...
nancypants and alex67500 like this.
Old Feb 6, 20, 10:43 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), SIA, Turkish Elite, Korean, Qantas
You would think DXB or DOH are the obvious choices.
irishguy28 and Unionruler like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: