Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Award booking error for 2 adults 1 youth and 1 child

Old Feb 6, 20, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Chase UR, Amex MR, Total Rewards Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott/Starwood Gold, FoundersCard

I have searched for this issue for about 20 mins and have found nothing.

I'm trying to book a BA award flight on AA metal (PBI-ORD), for 2 adults, 1 youth, and 1 child. But there is some error that prevents me from doing it. However when I try to book for 4 adults, everything works just fine. Would there be any issues if I just book us as 4 adults?

Thanks
Old Feb 6, 20, 11:49 am

No issue done it many times,
Old Feb 6, 20, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Chase UR, Amex MR, Total Rewards Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott/Starwood Gold, FoundersCard
Great thanks!
Old Feb 6, 20, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

UGH! BA site checks the age of the adults to make sure they are at least 16. Now I have to call in....................................

2 adults and 1 child works. 2 adults and 1 youth works. 2 adults, 1 youth, and 1 child does not work.
Old Feb 7, 20, 1:49 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by pwd847 View Post
UGH! BA site checks the age of the adults to make sure they are at least 16. Now I have to call in....................................

2 adults and 1 child works. 2 adults and 1 youth works. 2 adults, 1 youth, and 1 child does not work.
I though BA considered those over 12 as adults? There is no concept of 'youth'.
Old Feb 7, 20, 2:16 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Gold, HHonors Silver, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by babats View Post
I though BA considered those over 12 as adults? There is no concept of 'youth'.
No, because for APD purposes, children between the ages of 12-17 do not pay the adult rate, they have a different rate.

A 12 year old will pay the adult fare but will pay reduced APD

The error is most likely because there’s a mismatch going on with AA’s systems for the youth
Old Feb 7, 20, 3:10 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily View Post
No, because for APD purposes, children between the ages of 12-17 do not pay the adult rate, they have a different rate.

A 12 year old will pay the adult fare but will pay reduced APD

The error is most likely because theres a mismatch going on with AAs systems for the youth
Why would a flight between PBI - ORD attract APD?
Beltway2A likes this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 5:28 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Gold, HHonors Silver, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by babats View Post
Why would a flight between PBI - ORD attract APD?
It wouldnt. BAs website is set up to make the differentiation for APD purposes, but obviously if you want to make a flight that attracts zero APD, say an internal US flight on non-BA metal, Im fairly certain that BAs systems are not smart enough to ignore this and just pass the youth as an adult to AAs systems. That would explain why it works when you try it without the youth element involved.
Old Feb 8, 20, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Interesting. Spent a good 30 mins on the phone with England. I'm glad Google Voice let's me call them for 1 cent per minute. Finally got it all booked for 36,000 miles and $22.40.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: