FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Award booking error for 2 adults 1 youth and 1 child (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2007852-award-booking-error-2-adults-1-youth-1-child.html)

pwd847 Feb 6, 2020 11:30 am

Award booking error for 2 adults 1 youth and 1 child

I have searched for this issue for about 20 mins and have found nothing.

I'm trying to book a BA award flight on AA metal (PBI-ORD), for 2 adults, 1 youth, and 1 child. But there is some error that prevents me from doing it. However when I try to book for 4 adults, everything works just fine. Would there be any issues if I just book us as 4 adults?

Thanks

joejet Feb 6, 2020 11:49 am

No issue done it many times,

pwd847 Feb 6, 2020 12:00 pm

Great thanks!

pwd847 Feb 6, 2020 12:15 pm

UGH! BA site checks the age of the adults to make sure they are at least 16. Now I have to call in....................................

2 adults and 1 child works. 2 adults and 1 youth works. 2 adults, 1 youth, and 1 child does not work.

babats Feb 7, 2020 1:49 am

Originally Posted by pwd847 (Post 32040675)
UGH! BA site checks the age of the adults to make sure they are at least 16. Now I have to call in....................................

2 adults and 1 child works. 2 adults and 1 youth works. 2 adults, 1 youth, and 1 child does not work.

I though BA considered those over 12 as adults? There is no concept of 'youth'.

Tiger_lily Feb 7, 2020 2:16 am

Originally Posted by babats (Post 32042956)
I though BA considered those over 12 as adults? There is no concept of 'youth'.

No, because for APD purposes, children between the ages of 12-17 do not pay the adult rate, they have a different rate.

A 12 year old will pay the adult fare but will pay reduced APD

The error is most likely because there’s a mismatch going on with AA’s systems for the youth

babats Feb 7, 2020 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily (Post 32042999)
No, because for APD purposes, children between the ages of 12-17 do not pay the adult rate, they have a different rate.

A 12 year old will pay the adult fare but will pay reduced APD

The error is most likely because there’s a mismatch going on with AA’s systems for the youth

Why would a flight between PBI - ORD attract APD?

Tiger_lily Feb 7, 2020 5:28 am

Originally Posted by babats (Post 32043089)
Why would a flight between PBI - ORD attract APD?

It wouldn’t. BA’s website is set up to make the differentiation for APD purposes, but obviously if you want to make a flight that attracts zero APD, say an internal US flight on non-BA metal, I’m fairly certain that BA’s systems are not smart enough to ignore this and just pass the youth as an adult to AA’s systems. That would explain why it works when you try it without the youth element involved.

pwd847 Feb 8, 2020 9:09 am

Interesting. Spent a good 30 mins on the phone with England. I'm glad Google Voice let's me call them for 1 cent per minute. Finally got it all booked for 36,000 miles and $22.40.