Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sunday 9 Feb Weather - Disruption [BA flight assistance and information only please]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2020, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Storm Ciara, the third and most significant UK storm of the winter, is due to land on the night of Saturday 8 February and have an impact on transport provisions on Sunday 9 February. The whole of the UK and Ireland is in scope but the south of the UK may well bear the brunt. Posts 56 gives general advice, post 66 has the customer guideline for shorthaul services, which allows European travel to be be moved to 4 alternative dates. For cancelled services go to post 302 for LHR and post 292 for LGW., post 261 for LCY
Print Wikipost

Sunday 9 Feb Weather - Disruption [BA flight assistance and information only please]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
OK, so you're under airport control. Ring BA and ask for a routing via JFK, would be my advice. If that goes nowhere, and assuming the TA isn't helpful, turn up at T3 tomorrow with a good book to read.
Thankfully, I was able to book the BA287 on Monday (direct to SFO) in MMB. With that, I also changed my return to an earlier flight to LHR on Sunday (BA284).

On a side note, the connecting flight from LAX to SFO still shows up and so does the original return to LHR (BA286). I guess this is normal...
Old Feb 8, 2020, 10:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Yannisb
Thankfully, I was able to book the BA287 on Monday (direct to SFO) in MMB. With that, I also changed my return to an earlier flight to LHR on Sunday (BA284).

On a side note, the connecting flight from LAX to SFO still shows up and so does the original return to LHR (BA286). I guess this is normal...
Thanks for also confirming that in this area MMB self service works, even on a TA ticket! Yes, the LAX-SFO will probably show up until the gate agent in LAX does all that typing they seem to do in the hour before departure. Quite normal and I'd just leave it.
Yannisb likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 10:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
[Clearly not BA related, but this is the only thread currently active on FT relating to LHR problems tomorrow, so I hope the mods will leave]

what is the situation for other airlines tomorrow, especially the once-a-day long haul crowd - are they more likely to get a slot, or are they just as much as BA likely to cancel? Specifically, KC from/to Astana...
Usually this is why BA gets proportionately more cancellations than other airlines. HAL does try to ensure the once-a-day airlines can get through so you may be OK. Still another day in Astana - what more could one want?
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:00 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Usually this is why BA gets proportionately more cancellations than other airlines. HAL does try to ensure the once-a-day airlines can get through so you may be OK. Still another day in Astana - what more could one want?
I’m on the ‘to’ leg, so it would be one day fewer....
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:01 am

Another LGW cancellation, this won't surprise many:

BA2774 LGW-JER 16:00.

There were 5 flights to / from JER, the first from JER being a nightstopped service leaving later tonight. So they are down to 3 services, and I will speculate there may be further disruption on that route.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
BA208 MIA to LHR @ 21.25 today has been cancelled
BA209 LHR to MIA @ 14.15 has been cancelled.

Thankfully we moved to 9.35 an hour or so ago! They had to force the change.

Although none of my apps which still have that flight have informed me yet.....

So long haul starting to go as well....
Just been informed by text/email after 2 hours. Not exactly prompt information..... haha
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'm currently near Helsinki, booked on the BA799 on Sunday which is now cancelled. Looking on Expertflyer I can see plenty of availability on AY (for the moment!) but mostly in economy, at the times I need anyway. I guess beggars can't be choosers in this kind of scenario, but if I ended up booked into Y could I still claim ORC for the J tier points? What about if I just cancel or don't re-book - would that allow for ORC? First world problems I know, but these tier points are important to me.

Thanks CWS for the helpful posts as ever!
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by volar
I'm currently near Helsinki, booked on the BA799 on Sunday which is now cancelled. Looking on Expertflyer I can see plenty of availability on AY (for the moment!) but mostly in economy, at the times I need anyway. I guess beggars can't be choosers in this kind of scenario, but if I ended up booked into Y could I still claim ORC for the J tier points? What about if I just cancel or don't re-book - would that allow for ORC? First world problems I know, but these tier points are important to me.
AY is on a revenue share with BA on this sector so moving to AY shouldn't be a problem. Have you tried MMB to move flights? If that doesn't work then call up. You should get ORC if downgraded on a BA issued ticket, but maybe not if it is an IB or AY ticket.
volar likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Silver
Very helpful thread I have been monitoring for the last few days. I was booked on a back to back to Helsinki on the 8th. This is the second half of my first set of back to backs (thanks to another helpful thread).

As both flights are cancelled (separate tickets) does anyone know if I am able to reschedule until next weekend? From posted up thread i saw the notes that rebooking was allowed For a few days next week however I understood that to mean any flight regardless if cancelled. Is this different once flights are cancelled?

I checked via the app but when going to rebooking options it comes up with an error and to call. I just want to check my options before calling.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ct4646
Very helpful thread I have been monitoring for the last few days. I was booked on a back to back to Helsinki on the 8th. This is the second half of my first set of back to backs (thanks to another helpful thread).

As both flights are cancelled (separate tickets) does anyone know if I am able to reschedule until next weekend? From posted up thread i saw the notes that rebooking was allowed For a few days next week however I understood that to mean any flight regardless if cancelled. Is this different once flights are cancelled?

I checked via the app but when going to rebooking options it comes up with an error and to call. I just want to check my options before calling.

I was told that rebooking between 11-13th Feb was free of charge.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
We were booked on the afternoon LHR-INV flight tomorrow (baby’s first flight at 9 weeks old) but moved it forward a day. Currently in GF which is remarkably quiet. Things look on time for us which is great and gives the satisfaction of knowing it was the right choice as the INV Flight has been canned.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, UA Mileage Plus, bmi Diamond Club
We're currently working our way through the drinks cabinet in the Malaga lounge - if we hadn't re-booked ourselves earlier we'd have spent an anxious day on the phone (the flight we should have been on tomorrow has been cancelled). Massive thanks to everyone with access to information who takes the time to share it.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson Gold
Thanks for also confirming that in this area MMB self service works, even on a TA ticket! Yes, the LAX-SFO will probably show up until the gate agent in LAX does all that typing they seem to do in the hour before departure. Quite normal and I'd just leave it.
I am not sure if my excitement was premature. I tried to select my seat and nothing came up, instead, it took me to a screen that lists the cancelled flight and all other flights in the itinerary. No further options/selections are available on this screen. Then I realised that the new route to SFO (BA287) does not show a ticket number in MMB. Needless to say the gold line is busy at the moment.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
AY is on a revenue share with BA on this sector so moving to AY shouldn't be a problem. Have you tried MMB to move flights? If that doesn't work then call up. You should get ORC if downgraded on a BA issued ticket, but maybe not if it is an IB or AY ticket.
Thank you! MMB wasn't showing any options, but when I tried again it did show a suitable option on AY in economy which I have accepted. It's actually showing as 40 tier points for the sector so I won't need that ORC after all (I had assumed it would be 10 TPs). I assume I will get a fare difference refund for the downgrade, but I will sort that out later.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by ct4646
Yes is the short answer. If your flight is cancelled then you have further options over above the guidelines for those who want to bale out while their flights are still shown as operating. It's actually an important distinction.

If your flight is cancelled by BA you get additional options, which are standardised for all cancellations, known as the Standard Customer Guidelines.
- refund
- rebook up to 3 days before original travel date
- rebook up to 14 days after
- rebook on to AY up to 14 days after, in the case of this route
- rebook more than 14 days after so long as the fare bucket you used - probably bucket I if it's TP run territory - is available on your services, on BA. IB gets complicated here.
- ticket validity can be extended if necessary (and usually BA are ok to retain the length of the stay, though that hardly applies here)
- you are also allowed a gateway change too, to another airport within 300 miles, so MAN-HEL may be allowed. That's within the -3 / +14 days timeframe.
- you can also swap LHR/LGW - MXP/LIN/BGY (etc) around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.