Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else an IAG shareholder ? Today I unintentionally became one.

Old Feb 4, 20, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Today I became an unintentional and uninformed IAG shareholder via a free share referral programme from an online broker platform.

which made me think should I buy more? Or should this just be a one share wonder.

also... Does anyone know if IAG lease planes from funds like the Doric Nimrod funds listed on the LSE. they lease a380ís to Emirates. Potential interesting investments but with only A380s and all coming to an end of there leases and little to no a380 after market. Would ideally like one with 777 or 350ís
Old Feb 4, 20, 11:56 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
If you feel the need to pose this sort of question on a public forum, aside from a little flutter for fun, I would get advise from professionals and look at ISAs and pensions funds invested across the market.
bobbytables and Goaguy like this.
Old Feb 5, 20, 12:34 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
IAG is a good dividend payer and they have a strong strategy. Just the stock is subject to volatility due to things like coronavirus and economic recession.
Old Feb 5, 20, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by SA100 View Post
Today I became an unintentional and uninformed IAG shareholder via a free share referral programme from an online broker platform.
Are you sure you havenít been scammed?
realgaga and Goaguy like this.
Old Feb 5, 20, 1:17 am

I have a few (less than 1,000 USD worth altogether). I do a little trading with Robinhood. I started buying IAG 6 months ago in August 2019, and the stock price has gone up 30% since then. It also has decent dividends.
Old Feb 5, 20, 1:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Titanium.

which made me think should I buy more? Or should this just be a one share wonder.
Freetrade?
Old Feb 5, 20, 1:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold. ihg Spire Elite. Hilton Honors Diamond. Radisson Gold
I still have mine back from the day that BA was privatised in the 1980’s.

They got ‘converted’ to IAG shares when IAG was created.

They are the only ones I actually kept from the 'privatisation'' era of BA, BT, British Gas, BP etc being sold off by the government.
geronimo likes this.
Old Feb 5, 20, 4:02 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
It's almost never sensible to mix investing with pleasure. The only exception might be the shareholder perks that used to exist. IIRC, P&O Ferries used to offer a hefty discount for its shareholders, and original shareholders in Eurostar also got big discounts on tickets. Of course, they lost their investments but it doesn't mean that the investment wasn't profitable for them. But without the perks, it would have been disastrous. Just sayin'
Old Feb 5, 20, 4:37 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
I suspect there are few old-timers on here who still have IAG stock that was converted from BA stock. There was a shareholder discount of 10% for holders of 200+ shares. Many of us had the original capital expenditure paid for by this. The discount ended in 2015.
Old Feb 5, 20, 4:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Investing material amounts of your money ("material" means "you'd cry if you lost it") in a single company is rarely considered wise. Investing material amounts of your money in a single company in a competitive, cyclic, capital-intensive and highly regulated industry is even more rarely considered wise. If you want to have some fun with IAG shares, or anyone else's, using some spare money then feel free to do as you wish.

Clearly this is not personal advice for you. If these are material investments for you, consult a professional investment adviser.
Old Feb 5, 20, 6:27 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
I invest in FTSE trackers and therefore indirectly own some IAG shares.
Old Feb 5, 20, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by polochick View Post
Are you sure you havenít been scammed?
nope Trading 212 and Freetrade are kosher.
Old Feb 5, 20, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Or should this just be a one share wonder.
Did they literally give you one share? If so, don't spend it all at once!

I sold my IAG shareholding some time ago, although some family members still have holdings - mostly of 200 shares for the 10% discount (RIP) which I never remember to do something about when the price is high.
Old Feb 5, 20, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
It's almost never sensible to mix investing with pleasure. The only exception might be the shareholder perks that used to exist. IIRC, P&O Ferries used to offer a hefty discount for its shareholders, and original shareholders in Eurostar also got big discounts on tickets. Of course, they lost their investments but it doesn't mean that the investment wasn't profitable for them. But without the perks, it would have been disastrous. Just sayin'
I disagree heavily. Some of my most successful investments have been into companies whose products i like, on the basis that maybe a lot of other people like them too.

Not sure I would be buying IAG shares on that basis but some might.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Feb 5, 20, 8:00 am

nope Trading 212 and Freetrade are kosher.
Ahh okay. So you sold your and your friendís personal data for £6. Pretty cheap customer acquisition cost for the platform!
Goaguy likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: