When WT+ costs more than CW?

Old Feb 4, 2020, 4:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

When WT+ costs more than CW?

Currently doing some preemptive browsing. On a long haul return flight from South America, I can see several occasions where WT+ costs more than CW on the return leg.

What causes this? Would someone who paid say £2500 for the WT+ leg be more likely to get upgraded to CW? (if they were silly enough to pay more for WT+ over CW that is!)
Would this suggest that WT+ is 'full' but there is space in CW?
Old Feb 4, 2020, 4:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe only full fare WT+ seats are left on that flight, whereas 'cheaper' CW fare buckets are still unsold.
Anonba likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 4:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Typically the restrictive low cost non flexible tickets in WT+ will no longer be available leaving only higher cost more flexible tickets,while in CW the lower cost more restrictive tickets are still available.

you also see this sometimes on SH where it is cheaoer to buy CE then ET
Anonba likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by watsonville
(if they were silly enough to pay more for WT+ over CW that is!)
Why is that necessarily silly? The available CW tickets may come with conditions that are unacceptable to the WT+ passenger, and CW tickets that have acceptable conditions may be unaffordable or out of travel policy. For some people, price is not the only criterion.
golfmad likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Anomalies like this do occur from time to time. I recall booking a flight to KIN in CW, and noticing that WT+ was the same price.

As others have already said, fare buckets quietly come in to play.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 4:32 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Worth pointing out that there's no guarantee that different points of sale will have equivalent fares or availability.

Let's say one leg of a return booking LHR-SIN is £1,100 in E and £1,000 in I. Unless flexibility is a massive concern, you'd be silly to book the E fare - but UK-originating I fares are typically non-changeable.

Being based in Munich, I would find that MUC-LHR-SIN is about £650 in E and £900 in I, but because of the different point of sale, I need to look at R or D, and pay £1,200 or £1,500 instead. (Made up but plausible numbers throughout).

It's therefore not silly for me to book E, and although I might be well advised to look for a different point of sale, I certainly wouldn't be getting that information from BA.com.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
My "default" cabin for business travel is WT+ and I have to prove to my boss that CW is cheaper. I believe that others just have WT+ rule.
Giblets likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 4:53 am

I have seen (and benefited from) instances where F has been cheaper than CW...
Old Feb 4, 2020, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've seen this a few times - most recently on last month's LHR-MEX trip where CW was cheaper than WT+, which again was cheaper than WT!
Old Feb 4, 2020, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by Whyone
I have seen (and benefited from) instances where F has been cheaper than CW...
Same here.
Thomathy likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 6:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Currently doing some preemptive browsing. On a long haul return flight from South America, I can see several occasions where WT+ costs more than CW on the return leg.

What causes this? Would someone who paid say £2500 for the WT+ leg be more likely to get upgraded to CW? (if they were silly enough to pay more for WT+ over CW that is!)
Would this suggest that WT+ is 'full' but there is space in CW?
If you could post a specific example, I'm sure that would help getting a more precise answer for you.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 6:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Several dates cropped up, but 21/04 EZE-LHR.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Several dates cropped up, but 21/04 EZE-LHR.
That's J9 C9 D9 R9 I1 W5 E0 T0 (with a UK POS) - so you can book an I class (lowest CW booking class) fare in CW but any WT+ booking would be in "fully-flexible" W class.

It would be interesting to see what prices you get if you try to book for two people, seeing as that will push the CW booking into R class (for both passengers).
Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I had exactly this on a flight to YUL later this year. Having set Mrs T’s expectations that, on a short TATL, we should consider WT+: we were pleasantly surprised that CW was cheaper for the exact dates we wanted to travel. Happy with the additional TPs as well!
Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:58 am

It’s not just about price and cabin. The WT+ fare is probably very flexible, justifying the higher price, while the CW fare is probably very inflexible, justifying the lower price.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.