Avios E-Store - Atrocious Service

Old Feb 3, 2020, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club
Avios E-Store - Atrocious Service

Is it just me, or is the service from the Avios eStore universally terrible? I have had a few incidents which I have asked for their help with. Each time, I have waited forever for a reply, which is usually written in terrible English and basically just tells me to go away.

The recent problems have been with John Lewis (bought an expensive item, visits all tracked, John Lewis says the purchase wasn't tracked correctly in their site, no Avios rewarded). And with AirBnB (visits not being tracked, even on the Avios eStore site, I am now being told this is AirBnB's problem and they will deal with it, after 2 months of waiting for a reply).

I imagine the vast majority of eStore users are frequent flyers, so probably BA's most loyal customers. Just seems terrible to be treated this way when all you are doing is trying to rack up some loyalty points (which they retailer is paying BA for), so you can continue to be a loyal customer.
Swadbus and groenroos like this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 2:38 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Virgin Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH diamond, IHG Platinum
Do you mean the Avios.com e store which is for Aer Lingus and Vueling customers? If so I find everything about Avios.com terrible. Hours to answer the phone, unable to manage bookings on line, flight cancellations not communicated. And the eStore if it doesn’t track then you may as well give up. If it is the BA version I have not had any issues.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 2:51 am
Original Poster

I mean the shopping.ba.com site, where you can click through from that site to various other websites and by doing this you get Avios on each £1 that you spend.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 2:57 am

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
From my experience - using the App for Gate365 has resulted in 100% success on rewards from a number of retailers (John Lewis, Apple, PCWorld, ASOS). I tried this method as the website referrals were a bit more flaky
Old Feb 3, 2020, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sprodo
From my experience - using the App for Gate365 has resulted in 100% success on rewards from a number of retailers (John Lewis, Apple, PCWorld, ASOS). I tried this method as the website referrals were a bit more flaky
Thanks that's good advice, maybe I should try the App, even though I hate buying things on my phone. I am just surprised because every time I have any interaction with BA they almost immediately send me a survey to ask me what I thought of the service, yet with the Avios store it's just dire and nobody seems to care.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 3:05 am

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
Originally Posted by JessicaB
Thanks that's good advice, maybe I should try the App, even though I hate buying things on my phone. I am just surprised because every time I have any interaction with BA they almost immediately send me a survey to ask me what I thought of the service, yet with the Avios store it's just dire and nobody seems to care.
The app still refers you to the vendors website but the tracking process just seems slicker. Or maybe I have been lucky. I agree it is shoddy, personally I've always viewed it as a bit of a bonus because after a few lost / disputed transactions it wasn't worth the stress
aristoph likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
The customer service is very poor, and they don't care. It's not right, but it's very much if I get them great, if I don't move on. Never shop through there on the absolute expectation of the Avios being awarded. As a personal data point, Apple, John Lewis, hotels.com all very good, Hilton hit and miss, and PC World I wouldn't be shopping at anyway. I think of it as a random bonus rather than something that will absolutely be delivered.
You do need to read the T&C's - much is excluded, and usually any change results in non payment.
Markie and BearX220 like this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 3:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, HHonors Gold
There's loads of prior discussion on the BA eStore being terrible about tracking and awarding the promised points, and the customer service being of equal quality.

It's gotten marginally better now than it was a few years ago, but nevertheless, the bottom line still is: do not trust that you will get any of the promised Avios. Do not buy anything just to get the promised Avios. When it comes to the BA eStore, only ever buy things you would buy anyway, at the prices and from the retailers you would use anyway, and then if you get the Avios, and if they don't randomly take it away again, it's a nice bonus.

What they're doing is not exactly fair or maybe even legal, but keeping this attitude will keep you sane, and avoid sinking too much time into chasing Avios that might not be worth the hassle in the end.
BearX220, T8191 and dougzz like this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 3:47 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
I have 5 queries outstanding from the BA shopping portal - all during the Christmas period when there was enhanced avios - Hotel Chocolat was 20/£ I recall. All tracked and none went into pending.

I guess I wont hold my breath!
Old Feb 3, 2020, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by groenroos
There's loads of prior discussion on the BA eStore being terrible about tracking and awarding the promised points, and the customer service being of equal quality.

It's gotten marginally better now than it was a few years ago, but nevertheless, the bottom line still is: do not trust that you will get any of the promised Avios. Do not buy anything just to get the promised Avios. When it comes to the BA eStore, only ever buy things you would buy anyway, at the prices and from the retailers you would use anyway, and then if you get the Avios, and if they don't randomly take it away again, it's a nice bonus.

What they're doing is not exactly fair or maybe even legal, but keeping this attitude will keep you sane, and avoid sinking too much time into chasing Avios that might not be worth the hassle in the end.
I just don't understand why this isn't "a thing" for BA management. Does anyone reading this who works for BA know whether they are at all bothered by the way their customers are being treated?
nivsy likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
I think there must be something wrong with the tracking to pending of purchases recently, my three most recent orders have all failed to go pending, nothing massive but none the less it all adds up, prior to the last month or so its all worked seamlessly.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by JessicaB
I just don't understand why this isn't "a thing" for BA management. Does anyone reading this who works for BA know whether they are at all bothered by the way their customers are being treated?
My guess is that not enough people complain, or complain forcefully enough to make it worthwhile foregoing the money they are saving by not bothering. Now, if enough people complain forcibly, and management continues to fail to deliver the advertised product, there would be a case for a criminal prosecution for fraud. That would get their attention.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 8:00 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
There was an article in the FT some weeks ago, which I helped with background to the issues. The journalist said that they had received lots of complaints so it's just not us.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: BA Exec
With an upcoming holiday I looked into booking hotels through the BA shopping portal. When I crosschecked the prices for booking the same hotel elsewhere, I found it was often £20+ more expensive to purchase through the BA portal...and the potential avios award value was much less than the premium for booking via the shopping portal...Keep the avios, I’ll take the cash..
Old Feb 3, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: BA
I agree totally that the whole e-store experience is flawed and littered with hurdles for the unwary but unfortunately as Avios collectors who don’t travel for business purposes we have it down as a necessary evil. From the experiences of myself and my wife I would guess that problems occur on around 10 to 15% of transactions with the e-store and most of those can be recouped by providing the required documentation - it’s frankly a process of battering them into submission. We have a couple of folders where we store every email receipt, every screenshot of tracking and all other paraphernalia to prove those Avios are ours. I realise to many folk who can earn their Avios via more conventional methods that this will seem like just too much hassle but a little perseverance will generally yield results.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.