Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why are the IST and HEL routes so popular with this forums members?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are the IST and HEL routes so popular with this forums members?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Foltan
Well this is disappointing, IST is a brilliant city to visit, and it seems weird you've never met anyone that thinks that!
I said I haven't known anyone who has expressed a wish to go there which isn't the same thing. I'm sure it is a very nice and interesting place to visit.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
I thought that it was all about TIA now.
TIA is popular for B2B's however when I read the relevant thread ( B2B ), I see that OLCI is not available for flights departing from TIA so you should actually go to a check-in counter. Assuming that one of the LGW-TIA flight is delayed but not significantly, the check-in desks at TIA would close 45 minutes before scheduled departure time at TIA regardless of the inbound flight is delayed or not so it is super risky to book a B2B to Tirana. I also assume that BA won't sell a turnaround from TIA on the same ticket. On some days, there are two flights to TIA which make sense for a same day turnaround but not on the same aircraft.

HEL and IST do not carry that risk as OLCI is available and you could secure having your boarding pass by requesting at Heathrow.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
TIA is popular for B2B's however when I read the relevant thread ( B2B ), I see that OLCI is not available for flights departing from TIA so you should actually go to a check-in counter.
I would very much hope not! It is pretty much suicidal as a b2b due to lack of OLCI & remote check in, and it is marked as "Probably impractical" in the b2b thread.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 5:38 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
Wholeheartedly agree about north of England and HEL.

When you're flying to Asia why would you fly down to T5 Hell when you can save at least 2 hours by going via HEL and usually more depending on the city pair and be a lot less stressed.

For Asia flights your're dumped out in to the terminal with less than 5 - 10 mins walk to your gate.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mrploddy
Wholeheartedly agree about north of England and HEL.

When you're flying to Asia why would you fly down to T5 Hell when you can save at least 2 hours by going via HEL and usually more depending on the city pair and be a lot less stressed.

For Asia flights your're dumped out in to the terminal with less than 5 - 10 mins walk to your gate.
Absolutely.

There are some valid comments about the seat above, but for convenience alone I would choose AY from the north.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:27 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Might just be me but I seem to see many more posts on this forum regarding these two BA routes than any of their other routes?
Now I've been to HEL several times but wouldn't have thought it would be that popular given the price of a pint there...plus the weather isn't that great. Never had the slightest inclination to go to IST and don't anyone else who has....and if I did it would likely be with Turkish Airlines which I'm led to believe is the bee's knees.

So what gives?
Now I like the place and I have friends who live in Izmir as well. Istanbul is a facinating city - but it is not Turkey. As for Bees Knees - this may well be true, not that i'd care particularly. What I would say is that in Business Class, you pay far more to fly TK - unless you go from Gatwick. As for Helsinki, I would not want to go there in the depths of winter unless it was to change and travel Long Haul with Finnair

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.