Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to ask for special meal to be served with partnerís normal one?

Old Feb 2, 20, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Travelling alone, Iíve no issue with GF meal coming first (apart from quite often when they donít offer me a drink with it and just rush off).

However when travelling with partner, wondering if it would be reasonable to ask if they could serve me alongside him?

Itís in the category of questions Iíd be too scared to ask on board, for fear of a ďdonít be ridiculousĒ tone that would only irk me.

EDIT - I canít change the topic, but clearly itís possible to ask. What I really meant was if itís something that would likely be granted.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Feb 2, 20, 2:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
In World Traveller it's not really practical, the Special Meal trays are kept segregated from the main trolleys and the easiest way to prevent the wrong person getting the wrong tray is to process them first. If the flight is lightly loaded then it would be perhaps possible, but otherwise if you are feeding 303 people, most of them are going to be run from trolleys departing from the 4 (or even 8) corners of the cabin. There really isn't going to be scope to co-ordinate in the specials with that, short of delaying everyone's meals and potentially making mistakes. One extraordinary aspect of flying is discovering that some people can't remember if they are vegetarian/Kosher/low fat or not. At CW and First level I'm sure they could accommodate this, perhaps also in those cabins with dedicated WTP crew (e.g. LGW), since in a way you are paying for a personalised service, which isn't the hallmark of World Traveller.

There is nothing to stop you from delaying the start of your meal until your partner's tray arrives.
likethis likes this.
Old Feb 2, 20, 2:32 am
Original Poster

I definitely remember Iím coeliac...

And there is something stopping me starting 30 minutes later - thermodynamics.

But in essence I get the answer, and was probably right for not asking on board.
Old Feb 2, 20, 2:51 am

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
In CW or F I would not hesitate to ask - just politely ask if it would be possible to be served at the same time, as you would like to enjoy the meal at together. You could suggest that you donít mind to wait until everybody else have been served if that makes it easier for the crew.

In WT, I think it would be tough as c-w-s already mentioned.
likethis likes this.
Old Feb 2, 20, 3:51 am

Programs: BAEC
In First and Club, the special meals are served at the same time as regular ones, as it's all hand run anyway.

In WTP, it should be possible (but the request could very well be denied) to get your special served at the same time, but definitely tell the crew in advance so the trolley can be arranged.

In WT economy, it will be a big inconvenience for the crew as all the other special meals will have been delivered, as (as CWS mentions) the trays are kept separately, but the meals are also in a different oven. Some flights have up to 100 special meals, so asking for one to be kept back is the recipe for it to go missing.

When regular meals are being delivered, there is no way of guessing when a trolley will run out of trays (or hot meals) (there are only 26 trays on a trolley), so will be impossible to put the special meal aside in the top of the trolley supposedly heading your way.

All that being said, most items on the tray are cold, and the hot element will probably keep pretty warm for a while with the foil on. Depending on where you're sitting, the wait shouldn't be too long for the regular meals to catch up.
Old Feb 2, 20, 4:11 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Is an alternative for your partner to also pre book a special meal, as presumably they are quite used to eating gluten free anyway? I know it may not be the perfect outcome but it could be an option if you would like to eat together!
Annalisa12, shefgab and likethis like this.
Old Feb 2, 20, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN View Post
Is an alternative for your partner to also pre book a special meal, as presumably they are quite used to eating gluten free anyway? I know it may not be the perfect outcome but it could be an option if you would like to eat together!
Thatís a good idea - but on balance think weíd still prefer to eat separately.

GF is often lumped in with dairy free - meaning no butter, no milk, and often fruit for desert rather than something chocolatey.

I wouldnít wish stale rice cakes with soy-based marge on anyone.
IAMORGAN and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Feb 2, 20, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Your partner could book one of the other special meals though. Some of them such as the Asian ones appear to have a good reputation for taste etc
likethis and TGLoyalty like this.
Old Feb 2, 20, 7:02 am

Interesting question from the OP. The answers given explain the logistics. It used to make me feel very uncomfortable to be served in advanced of everyone else - especially travelling companions. If there was a will to change this, perhaps it could be done avoiding complete chaos?
likethis likes this.
Old Feb 2, 20, 9:39 am

Programs: HH Diamond, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I would think doing this would increase the odds of your Special Meal given away in error, and then you would have to create a "How many Avios should I receive as I didn't get my Special Order Meal?l" thread.
babats likes this.
Old Feb 2, 20, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by shefgab View Post
In WT economy, it will be a big inconvenience for the crew as all the other special meals will have been delivered, as (as CWS mentions) the trays are kept separately, but the meals are also in a different oven. Some flights have up to 100 special meals, so asking for one to be kept back is the recipe for it to go missing.

When regular meals are being delivered, there is no way of guessing when a trolley will run out of trays (or hot meals) (there are only 26 trays on a trolley), so will be impossible to put the special meal aside in the top of the trolley supposedly heading your way.
Interesting to read about the logistics of this. A couple of months ago in WT, I had a chicken main dish wrongly loaded on an otherwise correct lacto-ovo veg tray. They swapped it without a problem for a veg main that was not a special preorder (and possibly not lacto-ovo, though all I was avoiding was meat so that didnít matter), but was the first time I had come across that!
Old Feb 2, 20, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC (Bronze), IHG (Plat)
This exact request was actually pro-actively given to me on a LGW - TPA in Y last year. My wife is ceoliac and had a GF special ordered, and the two kids had a childs meal ordered, with only me being "normal". A member of the crew came down before meal service to see who was sat where, and offered to bring me my choice of meal so we could all eat together.
I was mighty impressed I have to say, and saw this as being a benefit of choosing a decent airline. BA has it's many detractors, including me from time to time, but when they get it right it reminds me of why I choose them. Top customer service IMHO.
All that said, it does not mean that you will get the same treatment ! I took this to be the action of a single member of crew acting on their own initiative, but I reckon you could ask as to the possibility, but be prepared for a polite no.
likethis likes this.
Old Feb 2, 20, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by likethis View Post
Thatís a good idea - but on balance think weíd still prefer to eat separately.
I'm lost. Isn't this post about eating together
Old Feb 2, 20, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
I'm lost. Isn't this post about eating together
I think that was in response to the suggestion that the OPís partner order a special meal too, so that both SPMLs are served at roughly the same time. I took the OP to be saying that whilst their ideal would be to have the Ďstandardí meal and SPML served together, they would rather be served separately than (to paraphrase) Ďinflictí a special meal on their partner.

Ultimately itís an airline meal & Iím sure the OP agrees it is a Ďfirst world problemí really - I took them to be seeking to understand if it would be possible rather than suggesting it would be a major inconvenience if it couldnít be easily done.
Old Feb 2, 20, 11:06 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Just to look on the bright side, given the elbow room (or the lack thereof), you could say it's actually beneficial to be served at a different time from your immediate seat neighbour

Search this Thread
Search Engine: