Moving CE passengers for balancing

Old Jan 31, 20, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Moving CE passengers for balancing

I don't recall ever seeing 13 rows in CE on an A320 before last night's flight back from GVA and never where there was less than 20 occupants in the cabin. The crew had to ask a some to move to the exit rows to help with balancing. ET looked totally jammed.
Old Jan 31, 20, 5:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Rather be asked to move than the flight not taking off.
mikeyfly and argonath like this.
Old Jan 31, 20, 5:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Twenty rows of CE has been done (albeit not recently) with 8 rows of ET, which looked as daft as it sounds.

Talking of daft, surely it would have been better to move a unglue some of the ET passengers so jammed together and move them a bit forward? A free cup of tea for them to reduce the hassle for those who paid to be where they were - up front.
YacozA likes this.
Old Jan 31, 20, 5:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
Could it also be related to the exit rows needing to be occupied for take off and landing? Once on an AY A321 with 10+ rows of J but less than 10 passengers, the FA asked two passengers from Y to sit in the unoccupied exit rows for take off and landing. They spent the rest of the flight back in Y though.
Old Jan 31, 20, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
They were not moved for balance purposes but because each self help exit row has to be occupied for takeoff and landing.
Old Jan 31, 20, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
They were not moved for balance purposes but because each self help exit row has to be occupied for takeoff and landing.
thanks.. makes sense now. I just heard the CC ask them to move and later saw them in the exit rows, so incorrectly presumed they did so for balancing purposes. It must be a rare event to have exit rows vacant.
Old Jan 31, 20, 7:18 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Flythe96flag View Post
Could it also be related to the exit rows needing to be occupied for take off and landing? Once on an AY A321 with 10+ rows of J but less than 10 passengers, the FA asked two passengers from Y to sit in the unoccupied exit rows for take off and landing. They spent the rest of the flight back in Y though.
Aviation safety managers do not like this. If there is a deprssurisation at altitude and the need for a sudden diversion, the cabin crews have got better things to do than reseat those pax back to the exit row for the landing. The seat belt sign would be on throughout anyway. They should stay there all the time. In any event, the dispatcher should have caught this and sorted it out at the gate before boarding, not leave it to the crew on board. It would only be if the pax booked for the exit rows did not turn up that the cabin crew would need to do this.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 20, 8:02 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
If CE was empty and Y was full, you'd be moving passengers forward for balance, wouldn't you, not back to the exit rows?

Obviously the plane as a whole was balanced (I've never seen explicit balance issues on board an A320, though they could be picked up by the seating assignment algorithm).
Old Jan 31, 20, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
We encountered this in part with a lightly loaded Jet2 (= LS) B737, JER-LBA, a handful of years ago. Seating involved numerous pax being shifted to the rear for trim purposes, but the EXIT seats were kept occupied. As result, OH was left in her EXIT window, while I was shifted a few rows back! After a quick chat with the CC, we were reunited and someone else was put in her EXIT seat.

Weird at the time, but subsequently understood.
Old Jan 31, 20, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Flythe96flag View Post
Happens on BA too. I did a flight to Murcia a few years ago where the outbound was under 10 passengers up front but Club extended back to the overwing exits. I was asked if I'd be prepared to move from row 1 to the exit row for take off which I agreed to do. However when asked on decent I politely declined as I was travelling HBO and wanted to be off fairly quickly.
Old Jan 31, 20, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
Aviation safety managers do not like this. If there is a deprssurisation at altitude and the need for a sudden diversion, the cabin crews have got better things to do than reseat those pax back to the exit row for the landing. The seat belt sign would be on throughout anyway. They should stay there all the time. In any event, the dispatcher should have caught this and sorted it out at the gate before boarding, not leave it to the crew on board. It would only be if the pax booked for the exit rows did not turn up that the cabin crew would need to do this.
I presume that there would be follow up because leaving this to onboard crew is a good safety backup, but indicates a failure. Should only have occurred if the passengers confirmed into those seats were last minute no shows.
Old Jan 31, 20, 9:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by Yeoman5 View Post
I don't recall ever seeing 13 rows in CE on an A320 before last night's flight back from GVA and never where there was less than 20 occupants in the cabin. The crew had to ask a some to move to the exit rows to help with balancing. ET looked totally jammed.
I thought the maximum was 12 rows on the A320 to accomodate meals for everybody?
Old Jan 31, 20, 10:36 am

Programs: BA
When BMI did Heathrow to Inverness some years ago it was booked for a domestic A319. One evening at Inverness a substitution saw one of their mid-haul A320s turn up instead, for the 50 or so travelling. These had a huge (for an A320) business class cabin, which nobody of course had booked. To maintain balance all pax were squashed in, 6-abreast, in the 8 economy rows furthest forward, those behind being left empty. It really did seem a bit silly.
Old Jan 31, 20, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
@WHBM ... Silly? I would prefer not to fly on an out of trim aircraft, thank you!
Old Jan 31, 20, 11:47 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
On Aegean, business cabin is usually the first 2 to 5 rows. Then they divide the economy cabin into sections and make you pay if you want to sit in the front rows. Even status holders need to pay. If the economy cabin is not full and nobody pays for seats, then rows 5 to 15 (including the exit row) may be empty and the Y pax will be cramped together in the back half of the plane.

This was the case on a recent flight, and as the Gold status member sitting furthest forward I was invited to move into the exit row.
T8191 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: