Lounge Access Question

Old Jan 30, 20, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IC Platinum Royal Ambassador
Lounge Access Question

Firstly Sorry if I should have posted this elsewhere (I did look at ask the staffer but that seemed to be more about crew questions)

Please can somebody let me know when I can use a BA lounge in the following scenario?

Day 1 MAN - LHR Business Ticket (so I know I'll get acess in MAN)

Day 1 LHR - KIX (do I get lounge access based on arriving from MAN on a business ticket?) Economy ticket to KIX

Day 8 NRT - LHR Premium Economy (so wouldn't get access to lounge normally, but as I'm transferring on to a Business ticket?)

Day 8 LHR - MAN Business Ticket (So I'll get access in LHR)

The MAN-LHR-MAN is one ticket the LHR-KIX // NRT-LHR are a seperate ticket.

Thank You very much.
Old Jan 30, 20, 1:57 am

If you're Gold as per your profile information you'll get lounge access everywhere. Without status I don't think you get any of your hoped for options.
Old Jan 30, 20, 2:00 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
The main thread Lounge Access thread is linked off the dashboard, here: BA lounge access guidelines

But I'm a little confused as your profile states you are BA Gold. If that is still current, then you will have access to oneworld lounges (for oneworld flights!) based upon your status, regardless of travel class.

If your status has dropped to Bronze or lower then see this post in particular which explains the situation for access by travel class: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28247209-post4.html
Old Jan 30, 20, 2:00 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Without status, you only get lounge access at the airport of departure for your Club Europe flights. This will not grant lounge access prior to your long-haul Economy flights
BertieBadger and george77300 like this.
Old Jan 30, 20, 2:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
In order of your flights and not taking in to account status the answers are:

Yes
No
No
Yes
BertieBadger, AJA_ and george77300 like this.
Old Jan 30, 20, 4:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, NZ Gold, BA Gold
Excuse my ignorance but how does a BA gold earn 1500 tier points and not know any lounge access rules!? Really.......
Old Jan 30, 20, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by noddie09 View Post
Excuse my ignorance but how does a BA gold earn 1500 tier points and not know any lounge access rules!? Really.......
Why do you get the impression they don't know any access rules? They do say they know they'll get access for the first flight, so clearly they know some of them.

A BA Gold may e.g. earn their status by doing a simple CW return every two months as part of their job. Why would they automatically know the rules for access involving connecting flights with mixed classes? Would they know that the BA rules and oneworld rules are subtly different here? Not everyone will know the minutiae that apply to circumstances they don't ordinarily encounter.

(Yes, I know that formally the OP is not connecting as it is separate tickets, but the point stands)
windowontheAside and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 30, 20, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IC Platinum Royal Ambassador
Thank You for the replies. I've had a look at the link and that explained everything really well.

And the Gold status went a while ago, so I need to update that.

Thank You everyone.
AJA_ likes this.
Old Jan 30, 20, 1:10 pm

It might depend on how the tickets were booked... Are they all on the same itinerary (record locator)??
Old Jan 30, 20, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by discountsae View Post
It might depend on how the tickets were booked... Are they all on the same itinerary (record locator)??
I am not sure it does really? The answer is the same whether those flights are separate or same ticket.
Old Jan 30, 20, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
I am not sure it does really? The answer is the same whether those flights are separate or same ticket.
Maybe I should clarify if you have a business class itinerary that incluses non-business seats on a flight that there is no business class product you should have access.
Old Jan 31, 20, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by discountsae View Post
Maybe I should clarify if you have a business class itinerary that incluses non-business seats on a flight that there is no business class product you should have access.
thanks. I have never heard of this? Can you give an example? Where does it say that in the rules?

in terms of the OPís example those flights all have a business cabin.
Old Jan 31, 20, 7:50 am
Suspended

thanks. I have never heard of this? Can you give an example? Where does it say that in the rules?

in terms of the OPís example those flights all have a business cabin.
if you arrive into LHR on a business ticket and connecting flight is eco you still get lounge access done it a few times when connecting
Old Jan 31, 20, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Hawk777 View Post
if you arrive into LHR on a business ticket and connecting flight is eco you still get lounge access done it a few times when connecting
Yes but discountsae was talking about whether the flights were all on the same record locator and if you have a business class itinerary that includes non-business seats on a flight that there is no business class product?

The connection access you mention is only when connecting from a long haul flight in J/F.

None of the above actually is relevant to the OP's situation though.
Old Jan 31, 20, 8:18 am

The connection access you mention is only when connecting from a long haul flight in J/F.
Is the BA scenario slightly more generous in that it allows e.g. access when doing CE to ET (both short haul) per scenario 3 in the post I linked above? And what you describe is the oneworld scenario? To be clear, I've never had to do this, I'm relying on the (excellent) guide.

With the introduction of CE to UK domestic are there any BA prime flights without a business cabin? Certainly agree OT to the original query, so maybe not relevant - what would something like LHR-GLA-KOI in CE offer at Glasgow for example, if on a BA codeshare operated by Loganair (so no business cabin) ?

​​​​​​Ta for any info!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: