Wiki Posts
Search

BA closing check-in early - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
I wouldn’t get ahead here. OP still hasn’t answered the question a few others and I have asked:

OP: What time did you arrive for check in?
I am hardly "ahead"

The sole question is what time OP made it to check-in. E.g., walked up to the check in counter (which he claims was not staffed). That is the sole relevant fact in this entire morass other than BA policies and his ticket. Thus:

1. My flight was scheduled to depart at X.
2. BA requires passengers to check-in no later than T-60.
3. I was at the check-in counter at Y (at least 61 minutes for OP's sake).
4. The check-in counter was unstaffed.
5. As a result, BA refused to board me, my ticket was cancelled and I was required to purchase a new ticket.

A. I should receive EUR Z1 for the delay (presuming the timings work).
B. I should receive EUR Z2 for being improperly denied boarding.
C. BA should refund or otherwise rebate the cost of the new ticket I purchased.
D. Depending on timings, possibly some duty of care under EC 261/2004

I fear that anything else will suffer the CEDR fate of being bogged down in irrelevancies. All of this hinges on OP's time of arrival at the check-in counter and his claim will rise or fall there.
IMH and OddJobMan like this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:30 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by cifenner
XL RX UPDATED BY BAGGAGE UPDATE SERVER ON 22AUG2019 0158
Add RX UPDATED BY BAGGAGE UPDATE SERVER ON 28AUG2019 0951

28-08-2019 11:38:00 /DCS-SYNCUS / LON1A0955

I dont understand what happened on the 22nd August as this wasnt the day we flew out, or what is significant about the time 11:38 on 28th August. Anyone able to help?
This would be PNR history - this particular excerpt shows an old baggage remark dated 22AUG being deleted at the same time as a new baggage remark for 28AUG being added. The edits were made on 28AUG19 at 1138 (usually Zulu/GMT). The DCS-SYNCUS suggests it's merely a synchronisation between two records, not that anything necessarily happened at at that particular time.

The 22AUG date was probably just the last time the synch happened.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by mec72
This is why I always take a photo in similar situations if it looks like I may need to argue further - e.g. recently arrived in Geneva at T-46 and was told the flight was already closed (should be T-45 min in Geneva). The agent was ultimately able to check me in, but I snapped a photo at T-46 to be armed with evidence if needed.
Anybody can change their phone settings ...
Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by malgudi
But hopefully the picture would be of the check in counter, displaying a time that gives T-46 accompanied with ‘closed’
IndyHoosier and TGLoyalty like this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:40 pm

Programs: Executive Club
In case others have missed it, the OP clearly says that her husband looked at his watch when they were at check-in and it was 11.07, which is 1 hour and 8 mins before departure. And they have logs of calls made at 11.17 to London. These are in the posts above.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:49 pm

Photo is essential at situationsike this,
I was travelling with friends to Toronto and we was quing for long time me in biz lane quicker but they was first told what checkin is closed even they were in que.... photo helped
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:01 pm

Programs: Executive Club
A question I have is whether the OP had travel insurance that covers missed departure and would cover the cost of the new flights. If so, then I think it would be far more sensible to avoid more stress and just make a claim. I know there are points of principle here, but any court is only going to compensate for what was lost and if you can claim this amount easily and painlessly through insurance, why bother to go to court? I can't imagine anyone would be foolish enough to travel to Algiers with a small child in their care without travel insurance and almost all policies cover missed departure.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:08 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by JessicaB
In case others have missed it, the OP clearly says that her husband looked at his watch when they were at check-in and it was 11.07, which is 1 hour and 8 mins before departure. And they have logs of calls made at 11.17 to London. These are in the posts above.
Thanks. The post was redacted somewhat due to the five post limit for new members. I believe it’s now viewable to all.

Sadly the OP’s calls to London at 11:17 do not prove anything. The airline could claim it was a call to say they were running late or something similar.

What matters here is the assertion that the OP was there at 11:07. With CEDR shut down, the OP needs to look towards MCOL or a claim under the consumer rights act.

OP: I have no way to help here with the latter, but, with the former; Small Claims Court, you would need to prove you were there at 11:07 and give clear reasons as to why the CEDR was rejected incorrectly. You’ve hinted the timings are clearly wrong so that would be a starting point. I’d start by making a short concise statement to sign, stating it is the truth etc... and collating any evidence you have of your arrival to the airport in enough reasonable time to get to the check in desk. How did you get to the airport for example? If on a timetabled service start there, or, if a taxi ask the booking office for a drop off time.

I wish you the best of luck.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by cifenner

In their defence to cedr, BA have provided station logs which state check-in closed at 11.15. The adjudicator has found on ‘balance of evidence’ and sided with BA despite them providing conflicting accounts. The adjudicator has suggested that the additional passengers could be standby or crew and that the 10.35 time was actually provided in UTC/GMT making it 11.35 local time (although hasnt explained why if this is the case BAs log says 11.15!!)

BA operations team could easily quote times in UTC/GMT which would explain why they have been saying 10:35.

Closing a flight for check-in at the check-in desks is only part of the process for fully closing the flight in DCS. They may have to assign seats to standby pax, there will be some weight and balance work to be done. All these actions would mean the difference between the two conflicting closing times of 11:15 and 11:35.

Just be prepared when/if you go to MCOL for BA having a good explanation of the differences.

One thing that I have done in the past that caused be to miss a flight. Was your phone or watch set to UK or Algiers time?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 4:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Send via email to something like GMail or equivalent, you can't change those times...
daftboy and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
A question I have is whether the OP had travel insurance that covers missed departure and would cover the cost of the new flights. If so, then I think it would be far more sensible to avoid more stress and just make a claim. I know there are points of principle here, but any court is only going to compensate for what was lost and if you can claim this amount easily and painlessly through insurance, why bother to go to court? I can't imagine anyone would be foolish enough to travel to Algiers with a small child in their care without travel insurance and almost all policies cover missed departure.
I think other FT threads have already concluded that there is no travel insurance which covers missed departure due to cutting it too close and arriving late at the airport. If the airline says you should arrive at least three hours before a short haul flight and at least four hours before a long haul flight, this is what the insurer is going to point you to.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Along with GPS co-ordinates the GPS time is often included in the EXIF data embedded in the photo. At least some devices also include a signed hash, so you can tell the photo hasn't been tampered with. Although it isn't impossible to extract the device private keys, to resign post changes, it is unlikely someone would go to such lengths for a missed flight.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:13 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
Originally Posted by alex67500
Send via email to something like GMail or equivalent, you can't change those times...
Yes you can - very easy.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestion. Of course I have travel insurance and have already spoken to them. They advised to pursue a claim with BA as the check-in desk was closed prematurely and travel insurance does not cover this issue when the airline is at fault.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Take a picture, put it an PDF, and then sign it in Adobe Acrobat with a qualified Time Stamping Authority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.