Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Limited upgrade for £xx economy to club europe What booking class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2020, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay Diamond and Singapore Gold

Hi Guys,

Good morning. May i check and hopefully get some advice.

i will be travelling LHRAMS and ticketed in O class, but was offered a ‘limited’ upgrade to club europe for £59. I did not get any indication of what the upgraded class will be, but on the same page it says earn points according to the upgraded class.

Anyone done that and can advise? Need to see if it’s worth the bucks or i will just stay at where i am. Thank you.

brgds,
Old Jan 29, 2020, 12:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You will earn Avios and TPs according to the CW amount. The price seems pretty good to me, but it is a short flight.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 12:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
If you need the tier points, then an additional 35 TPs for £59 seems like a bargain. Otherwise, you should make a judgement on whether lounge access, priority boarding, empty seat next to you, food and drink on board and being first off the plane are worth £59. (You might already enjoy some of those benefits anyway, of course, if you are Silver or above).
Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Thank you. I just did it, but ended up in U class. Thought it is a redemption class, is that normal?
Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
You'll get 40TPs and the uplift in Avios as long as your original ticket was cash and not Reward
Cymro, george77300 and groenroos like this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:51 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Microtat
Thank you. I just did it, but ended up in U class. Thought it is a redemption class, is that normal?
Stress not, this is normal...

U class is used for redemptions but can also be POUG (Proactive Online UpGrade), so as stated you will get the full Club Europe TPs & Avios as long as your underlying booking was a cash one....
wilsnunn, george77300 and TTmex like this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:10 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Stress not, this is normal...

U class is used for redemptions but can also be POUG (Proactive Online UpGrade), so as stated you will get the full Club Europe TPs & Avios as long as your underlying booking was a cash one....
Do you know how this works if you credit to another program like Qantas?
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by davem4
Sorry, I don't know how it would relate to another program (and can't see anything in the relevant Wikis) - hopefully someone else can chip in here.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by davem4
As I understand it, it tends to show as the upgraded level in terms of miles and status, as if it was an I bucket ticket. The problem is that sometimes the processing hits a glitch and the original class of travel is awarded. For BAEC csutomers this isn't a problem, a quick telephone call usually resolves this swiftly to 40 / 80 TPs, plus the extra Avios. If the same glitch hits a Qantas customer I can see it being more problematic to get the upgraded amount.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 5:13 am

Ah good, the experts have arrived! I admit this piqued my curiousity so I had a dig around to see what people were reporting. The best I could come up with is that it is possible/probable that higher cabin will credit in the case of Qantas, but that it might need a bit of manual follow up.

Here's a couple of relevant threads, and while some are in relation to AUP, the general principles for BA paid upgrades are the same (whether AUP/POUG/Fare change etc)

Points/status credited for BA flights upgraded at check-in

What class will post to Qantas for an upgraded British Airways flight?

However, I would be careful about generalising to all oneworld programs, AA in particular seems to credit at the original level only, it may be a matter for the T&Cs of each individual program.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks heaps for your inputs, i feel better now..
have a great week ahead guys!
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:21 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
However, I would be careful about generalising to all oneworld programs, AA in particular seems to credit at the original level only, it may be a matter for the T&Cs of each individual program.
I credit to AA, and POUGs (all WT>WTP) have always credited correctly.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by tjcxx
I credit to AA, and POUGs (all WT>WTP) have always credited correctly.
Good to know thanks, my comment was based upon some people reporting otherwise - specifically thinking of some of the experiences and info reported in this thread:

AUP on BA while crediting to AA

If the data therein is still accurate it seems that for AA there is no documented entitlement to the higher cabin earning, but in practise it may be awarded anyway.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Just a datapoint, that the points got credited without any issues to my CX account even though U class is not listed.

thanks all for your help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.