Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Overnight layover in LHR - dual national - which passport?

Old Jan 28, 20, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: rapidly diminishing

Tried searching for this but to no avail.

I'm a dual Canadian/UK national, resident in Canada, travelling RAK-LHR-YYZ in a few weeks' time, overnight layover at LHR.
When travelling in to the UK, I use my UK passport.
When travelling back to Canada, I use my Canadian one.

This is the first time I've been in this particular situation (i.e. entering the UK from another country, overnighting, and then on to Canada, on the same PNR).
I presume I'm going to have to enter my Canadian passport details, which is fine - but when I enter the UK, should I show both passports? Does it matter?
Having never entered the UK while travelling on my Canadian passport, I'm unsure of the correct way to proceed in this particular case. Apologies if this comes across as somewhat daft, but I've never had this kind of itinerary before (although have realized I have a HEL-LHR-YYZ segment coming up later in the year, but will be connecting straight through on that occasion, so presume there's no issue there?).

Any help appreciated - thanks!
Old Jan 28, 20, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Show your uk passport on arrival they will process that no problem.

we have the same for my baby daughter who is also British Canuck
Old Jan 28, 20, 1:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC Gold (OWE)
I've never had an issue switching between passports during layovers, or even using a separate passport than the API one provided (as long as I fly out with the same one - had issues in JNB when I accidentally tried to use another).

While if it was USA I'd be more wary, I think it's perfectly fine for LHR but others will be able to provide more insight I'm sure.
Old Jan 28, 20, 1:17 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Just use the UK one to enter the UK, you are not subject to immigration controls as a UK Citizen, which as a Canadian you would be. With the e-gates now valid for Canada it wouldn't make a huge difference, so if your UK chip doesn't work and you used the Canadian passport then it's not a big deal. There is no requirement to stay consistent with your Advance Passenger Information in this scenario. For the Helsinki trip, if you stay airside then there is no passport check for immigration purposes at LHR.
Often1 and sofasurfer like this.
Old Jan 28, 20, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
I always leave and enter the US on my US passport and enter the UK on my British one. When checking in in the UK I always use the US passport as my airline ID just because they use that information for US immigration. Never had any issues with either passport.
Old Jan 28, 20, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no linkage, A dual UK / US national traveling US-UK would show his UK passport to the air carrier, but would show the US passport to CBP on arrival to the US. In a third country, take a look at which passport has the least restrictive entry requirements and use that. Some will require you to exit on that passport.
Old Jan 28, 20, 3:52 pm

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Silver)
Just to emphasize that since you are a Canadian citizen, you must use a Canadian passport to enter Canada; since the introduction of the ETA, a Canadian citizen is no longer allowed to enter Canada on any non-Canadian passport . Which implies that you must enter your Canadian passport in the PNR for your flights, or there will be questions about your needing an ETA, for which as a Canadian citizen you are ineligible.

As others have said there is no link between which passport is in your PNR and which you may use to leave your origin (if required) and to enter/leave your intermediate point in the UK. I usually use my UK passport to enter and leave the UK (the last time I tried to use my Canadian one -- at LGW in pre-machine days -- the officer gave me a very hard time!) and my Irish passport to enter and leave EU countries, regardless of my origin or destination. Never an issue.
Old Jan 28, 20, 4:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I always use my Canadian passport in the API. Always use my UK passport to enter the UK or the EU. One thing to remember to do is though you need to use your UK passport when leaving Schengen at passport control if you entered with it still show the Canadian one in the API when checking in bags at the desk. I wasn't thinking clearly once in HEL and handed the UK one in as my ID when I checked my bag to LHR with a couple of days layover in LHR. It must have then superseded the Canadian one in the API because when I did my OLCI for the LHR-YYZ leg it said a boarding pass couldn't be issued because I didn't have an ETA for Canada. Got it cleared up at the airport.
Old Jan 29, 20, 1:03 am

Programs: UA *G, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
There is no linkage, A dual UK / US national traveling US-UK would show his UK passport to the air carrier, but would show the US passport to CBP on arrival to the US. In a third country, take a look at which passport has the least restrictive entry requirements and use that. Some will require you to exit on that passport.
I don't think it would work this way ... the air carrier needs to know you will be allowed to enter the USA and for that they need to see the US passport. If you show them the UK passport they will probably deny boarding unless there is a visa or ESTA attached.
Old Jan 29, 20, 1:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If one were to enter the UK on one's Canadian passport, I think it would be important to place the Canadian information in the airline API for the departing flight (or respectively for other transport means) so that it can be passed to the UK Border Agency, otherwise that Canadian passport may be considered to have overstayed in the UK. Then further use of that passport in the UK would be troublesome.
Old Jan 29, 20, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster auto-topup.
I would go with this basic rule of thumb: if you have a passport for countries A and B and you are entering country A, use passport A. I’m dual national US and Ireland. Obviously I am required to use my US passport when entering US but I’d still apply my rule of thumb method there regardless. I know you are talking about layover but I think same logic applies?
Old Jan 29, 20, 4:49 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
There is no linkage, A dual UK / US national traveling US-UK would show his UK passport to the air carrier, but would show the US passport to CBP on arrival to the US.

I doubt that works. Most UK citizens (without a US visa) need to have an ESTA. You want to tell me that an US citizen can successfully apply for an ESTA?
The UK/US citizen may elect just his UK passport to BA at LHR, however, BA wants to see an ESTA in the system. Without an ESTA -> no boarding pass will be issued.
Unless that UK citizen shows his US passport.
Old Jan 29, 20, 5:13 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
I would just update the API in the BA system to match where I am travelling to.

Use the British one when you arrive in the UK and then you can update the system for the next morning with the CAN one if you like.
Old Jan 29, 20, 5:17 am

Programs: FB Plat
Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
I doubt that works. Most UK citizens (without a US visa) need to have an ESTA. You want to tell me that an US citizen can successfully apply for an ESTA?
The UK/US citizen may elect just his UK passport to BA at LHR, however, BA wants to see an ESTA in the system. Without an ESTA -> no boarding pass will be issued.
Unless that UK citizen shows his US passport.
You're right with this, and with some countries (notably the US and Canada) there is a strong linkage between the passport you put in the API and the one you enter with.
Like the OP, I also have UK and Canadian passports (although I'm resident in France), and I travel to the US quite regularly. My experiences have been:
  • Before I got an ESTA for my UK passport, if I put my UK passport on a US flight, I could not check in for my flight until switching it to my Canadian one.
  • Once i had an ESTA on my UK passport and had my UK passport in the API, if I presented my Canadian passport at the US border control, it would get flagged and the officer would always ask "Do you also hold a British passport?". They would then spend a few minutes tapping away at the computer before letting me through.
My rule is to enter the passport info for whatever passport I will be presenting at my final destination into the API, that always seems to give the least hassle. Sometimes that means entering one passport for my outbound flight, and then going in and changing it for the return.
In any event, even if the various files don't match up, it can almost always be sorted out, it just may take a little longer.
Old Jan 29, 20, 7:45 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Just use the UK one to enter the UK, you are not subject to immigration controls as a UK Citizen, which as a Canadian you would be. With the e-gates now valid for Canada it wouldn't make a huge difference, so if your UK chip doesn't work and you used the Canadian passport then it's not a big deal. There is no requirement to stay consistent with your Advance Passenger Information in this scenario. For the Helsinki trip, if you stay airside then there is no passport check for immigration purposes at LHR.
I have exactly this - my UK chip ceased working many years ago and if the queue to see a person is lengthy I simply use my US passport at the LHR e-gates. I don't do this very often as I don't typically take my US passport anywhere other than America, but nobody has knocked at my door yet and I believe that I am currently "American" if you see what I mean.

I think someone already answered this but if you are dual US/UK travelling to America, you are not getting on the plane without showing your American passport. This presumes that dual citizens don't apply for ESTAs on their UK passport of course, but in any event I believe dual nationals have to enter the US using their American passport.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: