LHR - AMS B2B 3 days running!

Old Jan 28, 20, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
LGW - AMS B2B 3 days running!

I am just about to pull the trigger on a mini TP run to get me my first GUF2... LGW - AMS - LGW, back to back... 3 days on the trot.

In case you are wondering why I might do such a thing... there is method in my madness! I am planning a trip next year that I want to do in CW so I thought that it makes sense for me to get to 2500 TPs to get the GUF2 as I am on 2270 TPs and so it only needs another 230 TPs. Yes, it will cost me about 500 to get those TPs but the saving for the two of us on a WTP - CW upgrade is way more than that. I know we might get better value from a CW - F but we don't like travelling in F!!!

So, firstly, am I right is assuming that a B2B at AMS is going to be pretty straightforward?

Secondly, am I mad doing LGW to AMS? I chose AMS as it is cheap (about 75 each way for 40 TPs - 80 each return) and looks easy and relatively (as much as it can be) risk-free. Is there a more cost effective option? I have looked at all the long-haul options and cannot find anything that remotely comes close. I thought of HEL or OTP but again... nothing close.

Is there any advice you might offer?
flyerkit likes this.

Last edited by snaxmuppet; Jan 29, 20 at 3:57 am
Old Jan 28, 20, 8:50 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet View Post
I am just about to pull the trigger on a mini TP run to get me my first GUF2... LGW - AMS - LGW, back to back... 3 days on the trot.

In case you are wondering why I might do such a thing... there is method in my madness! I am planning a trip next year that I want to do in CW so I thought that it makes sense for me to get to 2500 TPs to get the GUF2 as I am on 2270 TPs and so it only needs another 230 TPs. Yes, it will cost me about 500 to get those TPs but the saving for the two of us on a WTP - CW upgrade is way more than that. I know we might get better value from a CW - F but we don't like travelling in F!!!

So, firstly, am I right is assuming that a B2B at AMS is going to be pretty straightforward?

Secondly, am I mad doing LGW to AMS? I chose AMS as it is cheap (about 75 each way for 40 TPs - 80 each return) and looks easy and relatively (as much as it can be) risk-free. Is there a more cost effective option? I have looked at all the long-haul options and cannot find anything that remotely comes close. I thought of HEL or OTP but again... nothing close.

Is there any advice you might offer?
How much is the trip, including transport to/from LGW?

Could you knock the trip down by doing (LGW-JER) JER-LGW-AMS-LGW-JER (JER-LGW)

M
Old Jan 28, 20, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
AMS is easy for B2B - get off the plane then wait in the gate area and get back on again. No time to go to the lounge though. By the time you got even half way there you'd have to turn back to board!

Nothing wrong with LGW. The lounges are good and I've never had a problem with priority security there. Remember to take a left after leaving security (don't go down the stairs) to take the short cut to the lounge avoiding duty free.
Old Jan 28, 20, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
How much is the trip in WTP vs CW - what's the route ?
Old Jan 28, 20, 9:10 am

AMS is an easy back to-back; and LGW is fine

If you wanted to try and make a weekend/overnight of it in a single trip without all the back-to-back madness....try positioning to HEL (or fly there in ET on the cheap) and you can pick up business class return HEL-AGP (Malaga) for about 500 return which nets you I think 280 TPs (same as long-haul CLub World return...) for a weekend in the sun...not sure on all dates, but could be a bit more fun; and you'd get to try out the new Platinum Wing (OneWorld Emerald) lounge in HEL which has a sauna....!
Old Jan 28, 20, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
How much is the trip in WTP vs CW - what's the route ?
Not sure yet. We plan a long trip next year... possibly to the Caribbean, or South Africa, or SIN/HKG (if Caronovirus is over by then!) so the WTP/CW differential will definitely be more than the cost of getting the extra TPs.

Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post

M
3 nights cheap hotel (Travelodge) at LGW and train ticket to LGW it works out at about 700 all in.

I thought about a lot of other European options but they all cost more either for the flight and/or the accommodation. I will explore the JER options though... thanks

Originally Posted by ratypus View Post
AMS is an easy back to-back; and LGW is fine

If you wanted to try and make a weekend/overnight of it in a single trip without all the back-to-back madness....try positioning to HEL (or fly there in ET on the cheap) and you can pick up business class return HEL-AGP (Malaga) for about 500 return which nets you I think 280 TPs (same as long-haul CLub World return...) for a weekend in the sun...not sure on all dates, but could be a bit more fun; and you'd get to try out the new Platinum Wing (OneWorld Emerald) lounge in HEL which has a sauna....!
That looks interesting... I'll price it up. I suspect that with the accommodation and positioning to HEL it may be a fair bit more.
Old Jan 28, 20, 9:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
Not sure yet. We plan a long trip next year... possibly to the Caribbean, or South Africa, or SIN/HKG (if Caronovirus is over by then!) so the WTP/CW differential will definitely be more than the cost of getting the extra TPs.
Most likely it will. But in my experience, I've not got great value from GUFs. More often than not a decent exEU price is cheaper in J than exUK in W. For instance, a lot of this year South Africa is 1,200.00 in J from OSL. Same flying East from OSL / ARN on Qatar. Ditto USA. So yes, 500 will be less most likely be cheaper, but you will get a lot more Avios and future Tier Points booking straight into Club with cash
Old Jan 28, 20, 9:55 am

maybe also try pricing this from AGP - many easy/cheap options to position to Malaga and start from there; not sure whether flight timings allow a B-2-B in Helsinki - probably not - you'd have to play around with it, or for the TPs you need perhaps a triangular route London-AGP-HEL-London is enough

Either way - that HEL-AGP leg is quite an efficient way to clock up 140 TPs in a single 4 hour flight...
Old Jan 28, 20, 10:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post

M
This is what I would do, you can do it in two days with only one night hotel needed in Amsterdam. If your dates are flexible it can be had for approx 500-540 and then however much you spend on a hotel in Amsterdam.
Old Jan 28, 20, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
Most likely it will. But in my experience, I've not got great value from GUFs. More often than not a decent exEU price is cheaper in J than exUK in W. For instance, a lot of this year South Africa is 1,200.00 in J from OSL. Same flying East from OSL / ARN on Qatar. Ditto USA. So yes, 500 will be less most likely be cheaper, but you will get a lot more Avios and future Tier Points booking straight into Club with cash
Can't do ex-EU for that trip... wife will be with me and she wants direct if at all possible so I expect that we will get a bit of value from it.

Originally Posted by ratypus View Post
maybe also try pricing this from AGP - many easy/cheap options to position to Malaga and start from there; not sure whether flight timings allow a B-2-B in Helsinki - probably not - you'd have to play around with it, or for the TPs you need perhaps a triangular route London-AGP-HEL-London is enough

Either way - that HEL-AGP leg is quite an efficient way to clock up 140 TPs in a single 4 hour flight...
More expensive from AGP!!! By the time I have positioned (either LON-HEL or AGP and with accommodation there instead of at LGW it is always 200-300 more.

Coming to the conclusion that the AMS x 3 is a good option if not the most interesting. I would get 3 shots at the LGW lounge though and food and drink on the flights so not too bad
Old Jan 28, 20, 10:16 am

LGW - AMS - LGW, back to back... 3 days on the trot.
The chap who is planning to fly from Helsinki to London to spend the entire day in the airport lounges is suddenly looking relatively sane.
Old Jan 28, 20, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wilsnunn View Post
This is what I would do, you can do it in two days with only one night hotel needed in Amsterdam. If your dates are flexible it can be had for approx 500-540 and then however much you spend on a hotel in Amsterdam.
That is close on price. The LGW - AMS x 3 option is about 150 for two of the returns and 190 for the third so the flights are 490 plus 3 x 50 in the Travelodge (including airport shuttle).

Call me weird but I think I'd prefer the AMS option as I get 3 lots of lounge trips and I enjoy my lounge time, plus it would be a more relaxed schedule

Thanks anyway
Ned1968 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 20, 11:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP
That is close on price. The LGW - AMS x 3 option is about 150 for two of the returns and 190 for the third so the flights are 490 plus 3 x 50 in the Travelodge (including airport shuttle).

Call me weird but I think I'd prefer the AMS option as I get 3 lots of lounge trips and I enjoy my lounge time, plus it would be a more relaxed schedule

Thanks anyway
You may need to overlap the tickets as don't think you can book straight B2B on the same ticket. IE

LGW - AMS Out day1, back day 2.
LGW - AMS Out day 2, back day 3.
AMS - LGW Back day 1, Out day 3.
Old Jan 28, 20, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The Geek View Post
You may need to overlap the tickets as don't think you can book straight B2B on the same ticket. IE

LGW - AMS Out day1, back day 2.
LGW - AMS Out day 2, back day 3.
AMS - LGW Back day 1, Out day 3.
yes, B2B on same ticket is fine as far as I know
Old Jan 28, 20, 12:40 pm

Something like LGW-JER / JER-LGW-TIA-LGW is probably the most time and cash efficient way to 240 points. Looks like it can be done in a day for around 500.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: