Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA First Helicopter Ride - QC [Quebec, Canada] Lawsuit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA First Helicopter Ride - QC [Quebec, Canada] Lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by durberville
but that’s sort of a silly analysis, or at least doesn’t reflect on this case. I wanted the helicopter to go to a location that was historically serviced by BA’s helicopters. I’m not asking to be transported somewhere unreasonable, within the NY area, and the tariff fails to define what the helicopter travel limits are. A requirement to take a helicopter that’s as cheap as possible to a location I don’t want/need to go is not written nor sensible.
And, indeed, the vague/non-specific wording in the tariff (regardless of the validity of the concept) doesn't sit easily alongside a ‘legal’ situation. But that’s the curse of writing Regulations, of which both the OH and I have some fairly extensive Military experience.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:22 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
it’s ambiguous. Indeed, they left the wording as open ended. Historically they flew to the location I wanted.

s.17 of the Consumer Protection Act states
”In case of doubt or ambiguity, the contract must be interpreted in favour of the consumer.“
That's basic contract law. A contract is always interpreted against the party that drafts the contract. Especially so in the case of a large corporation vs an individual where there is no negotiating power of the individual when they buy the ticket. An individual consumers choice is buy a ticket and accept the terms or don't buy a ticket and reject the terms. There is no choice if the person needs to travel but objects to some terms of the contract. It's really no choice at all.

The Tariff forms part of the ticket and an individual ticket purchaser has no possibility of negotiating or changing any of the terms they don't like.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
All credit to @durberville for perseverance on this thread. You must have a very thick skin. As to the matter in hand, I would imagine your action fails the test of 'reasonableness' and that you're wasting your time. It is of course yours to waste.
Flying Yazata and flyuk like this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:28 am

Programs: BAEC
JFK to Manhattan helicopter transfer (Concorde days)

I suspect that this sort of evidence would also help BA's case (appreciate it refers to Concorde rather than F, but I suspect equivalent documents are available somewhere). The requirement to request the helicopter at time of booking presumably left it open to both BA and the passenger not to do business if the helicopter was unavailable or the nuances of the transfer didn't suit. And it also suggests that the transfer from JFK was limited to downtown, LGA or EWR - I'm not sure if the OP has used LGA or EWR as their preferred destination, presuming it wasn't downtown.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Enough
Originally Posted by Never Stansted
JFK to Manhattan helicopter transfer (Concorde days)

I suspect that this sort of evidence would also help BA's case (appreciate it refers to Concorde rather than F, but I suspect equivalent documents are available somewhere). The requirement to request the helicopter at time of booking presumably left it open to both BA and the passenger not to do business if the helicopter was unavailable or the nuances of the transfer didn't suit. And it also suggests that the transfer from JFK was limited to downtown, LGA or EWR - I'm not sure if the OP has used LGA or EWR as their preferred destination, presuming it wasn't downtown.
it was indeed ewr. Immediately after making the reservation I called BA YouFirst to make the request. I was told someone would get back to me after I emailed them a copy of their tariff. Nobody ever did.

not that reserving in advance is a tariff requirement.

I then made the request at the airport lounge in LHR. The kind agents there worked on it but their contact with the JFK station manager was that it wasn’t possible.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
BA was made aware of the OP's intention to utilize this part of the tariff and could have cancelled the ticket should they have decided they didn't want to honour it. Personally, I think if a company's view is not to answer a query that is too hard and hope it goes away deserves to have it come back to them. Anyhow, I suspect OP knew that he wouldn't get a free helicopter ride and had prepared for it. How was the rest of the experience?
:D! likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
As a Canadian taxpayer, I'd really like to know the OPs motivation in filing the suit at all. I'd like to give the OP the benefit of the doubt that it's for some reason other than being difficult to prove a point about picking something out of the tariffs for some potential personal gain, but to me this really just looks like a huge waste of my money to run the court system. You might gain a few dollars, but probably cost the people of Canada $100,000 to do so. I wish there was a law against these kind of things and IMO judges should have more latitude and be quicker to throw out waste of time cases.
etiene, flyuk and mctaste like this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Enough
Originally Posted by ahopkins767
BA was made aware of the OP's intention to utilize this part of the tariff and could have cancelled the ticket should they have decided they didn't want to honour it. Personally, I think if a company's view is not to answer a query that is too hard and hope it goes away deserves to have it come back to them. Anyhow, I suspect OP knew that he wouldn't get a free helicopter ride and had prepared for it. How was the rest of the experience?
first time in BA F. Perfectly pleasant. I really like the PJs. Had to end of up taking
3-4 trains to get from JFK-EWR, which sucked.

Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
As a Canadian taxpayer, I'd really like to know the OPs motivation in filing the suit at all. I'd like to give the OP the benefit of the doubt that it's for some reason other than being difficult to prove a point about picking something out of the tariffs for some potential personal gain, but to me this really just looks like a huge waste of my money to run the court system. You might gain a few dollars, but probably cost the people of Canada $100,000 to do so. I wish there was a law against these kind of things and IMO judges should have more latitude and be quicker to throw out waste of time cases.
a bit hyperbolic? I don’t think a Small Claims action, which I paid a fee for, is costing taxpayers much at all.
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
As a Canadian taxpayer, I'd really like to know the OPs motivation in filing the suit at all....
Free money?
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Had to end of up taking 3-4 trains to get from JFK-EWR, which sucked.
You should look into taking a helicopter transfer
​​​​​​​
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
first time in BA F. Perfectly pleasant. I really like the PJs. Had to end of up taking
3-4 trains to get from JFK-EWR, which sucked.

a bit hyperbolic? I don’t think a Small Claims action, which I paid a fee for, is costing taxpayers much at all.
Unless your fee was in the 10's of thousands, you are costing the system a significant amount of money. Perhaps not 100k, but far more than you might think. About ten years ago when I was working at a provincial level government we had an assessment done that it was costing us $192 to process a single cheque - it was at a time when employees reimbursing the employer for personal calls on cell phones to the tune of $4/month which was costing the system a fortune. The cost of government administration in Canada knows no bounds. The judge, their assistant, court clerk, security, etc adds up pretty quick. Your one case you'll be surprised about the actual cost. The question I asked though was what was the motivation to pursue to the case aside from potentially proving a point about finding something in the tariffs and seeking some personal gain?
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:11 am

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall in the First Wing/CCR when the OP was there.

Oh and in the BA staffroom later in the day. "Did you hear about the guy looking for a helicopter ride?"
flygirl68 and Lucanesque like this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:22 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
Unless your fee was in the 10's of thousands, you are costing the system a significant amount of money. Perhaps not 100k, but far more than you might think. About ten years ago when I was working at a provincial level government we had an assessment done that it was costing us $192 to process a single cheque - it was at a time when employees reimbursing the employer for personal calls on cell phones to the tune of $4/month which was costing the system a fortune. The cost of government administration in Canada knows no bounds. The judge, their assistant, court clerk, security, etc adds up pretty quick. Your one case you'll be surprised about the actual cost. The question I asked though was what was the motivation to pursue to the case aside from potentially proving a point about finding something in the tariffs and seeking some personal gain?
You are talking about a lot of fixed costs which would have been spent regardless of work load. The variable cost is probably the fee he paid, and trying to appropriate OP's share of fixed costs is a fruitless exercise.

And I think you are highlighting Canadian inefficiency more than anything else.
SW7London, Twickenham and :D! like this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:23 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
I love all the people commenting as if this is a common law case, it isn't. Quebec has a Civil Code system and it also has some of the toughest consumer protection laws in Canada, courts at all levels side with the consumer much more than in other jurisdictions in my experience. I will be following this with interest.
Twickenham, Jagboi, T8191 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
again, document was provided by the DOT. If a moderator wants to review the documentation to confirm it, more than happy to... not fair to share an employee’s info publicly.

the DOT, as a moderator can confirm under my offer, stated it would only provide a direct section. “We do not provide the whole tariff.” I explained the clause I referred to from the Canadian version of the tariff, and she emailed the excerpt.

a funny tidbit of USA law if you ask me. It’s difficult to get a copy of the airline’s contract. Ridiculous, eh? I even emailed BA to send me a copy, which was never responded to.

now that’s fair. It’s nearly impossible to actually read the contract of the ticket you’re buying.

and reading the contract is evidence of malfeasance?

the date on the document, which is an excerpt of the BA international tariff is 26AUG19, the date of travel. That means August 26, 2019.

it also says “CXR - BA” and the 0006 refers to the tariff rule.
"26AUG19" is not 26 August, 2020. Dates are not written that way in legal documents. It is 26 August 19xx. The last 2 digits have been redacted.
flygirl68 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.