Changing Reward Booking - Zones, etc

Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Changing Reward Booking - Zones, etc

Hi All!

So my recent delight at nabbing First seats to Beijing have unfortunately taken a turn, owning to recent news. These things happen. It's a 2 for 1 booking.

Anyway, I called BAEC (who were very helpful) but I got a little confused with the rules, so hoping someone here can assist.

- We fly out to Beijing but back from elsewhere - they are in different zones.
- The chap on the phone explained that Beijing is a little unusual in that it's the only zone 6 (iirc) fare in Asia and I can't therefore just change it even at a fee; I would have to cancel and rebook the whole thing
- The current waiver is only for journeys up to the 23rd Feb, and we are just after that, so such a change would not be free (this is not the end of the world at all just a matter of fact)
- We cannot just cancel the outbound leg and get those Avios back and use the voucher just one way back to the UK, because the trip must start in the UK
- Even if I cancel it with the intention to rebook, those seats don't automatically go back into Avios availability, so we risk missing out totally (though, we are flexible..but by maybe a few months, not a year or more)

If the waiver is extended, it works in our favor. If it is not, it puts us in a bit of a pickle. Worst case though is we pay the fee, and get everything else back (he explained if we had non refundable tickets it would be a different matter without a waiver being extended!)

Anyway, while it may be the case that the waiver does change in our favor, I am just trying to understand the best course of action and drawing on the experience of you good folks to confirm that my understanding is right, and given your experience, what is the best option? My current thoughts are just wait a week or two and then make a call.

Thankyou in advance!
Old Jan 27, 2020, 5:29 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If the travel guidelines cover your date you will be entitled to either a full refund with no deduction of fees, or a rebooking of travel dates up to and including ticket validity. You would also be rebooked in the same cabin regardless of any reward availability.

If the travel guidelines do not end up covering your travel dates then you can still cancel and you would get all the avios and the voucher back. The £35 per person cancellation fee would be deducted from the taxes/fees/charges amount you paid and the rest refunded.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 6:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Diamond
Not sure if this is relevant but our situation below, and the outcome.

- booked 2-4-1 PKX-LHR in August 2019, 4x J seats
- flight dates 20 Jan to 3 Feb, to celebrate new year with extended family
- landed in PKX 21 Jan without any issues
- we are staying local with family in Beijing, monitoring the situation on daily news
- been at home 90% of the time since arriving in PKX, driving kids nuts at home
- as situation got slightly worse, and cancellation of any celebration gathering, we decided to leave China early
- called BAEC Gold line On 27 Jan to see what options available

summary re discussion with BAEC agent
- we could change, however there needs to be 4 reward seats available, because our booking is a reward booking
- earliest reward availability (at the time of the call) from PKX to LHR is 31 Jan
- I did try to influence them to expand the possibility allowing us taking 4 J seats regardless of fare class, no dice
- we found 4 seats from KUL to LHR on 5 Feb
- change fee of £35pp and difference in Avios

bought cash tickets to KUL for 28 Jan to spend the rest of our holiday there (probably still avoiding crowded areas) before flying back to UK.

Not sure if this is in line with the waiver; but that’s what we got
Old Jan 31, 2020, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the input, wanted to share my experience with this too.

Our flight was cancelled and we were offered free rebooking. The same rules as the waiver of a few days ago did not apply however, so we needed Avios availability for the reward booking, though we were able to get sorted!

Zeeww I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip and had/have a safe journey home.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.