Have UuA costs changed drastically?

Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Have UuA costs changed drastically?

LHR-JFK route - used to be GBP 100 for WTP to CW (and I always had to call, since the UuA website was doing this incorrectly, as we all know). I was quoted GBP 304 for WTP to CW today (+24k Avios) and apparently this was cross checked by the fares team and came back as correct.

I'm aware of the recent increase in J/F, but is it also this significant for WTP to CW?

Last edited by mec72; Jan 27, 2020 at 12:39 pm Reason: clarified it's a WTP to CW upgrade
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
304 for what?

Bit hard to answer without knowing details

If this was WT to WTP then £90 odd would be APD

but there does appear to have been an increase in the BA surcharge
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:33 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Whats the difference in taxes /fees/charges if you do a dummy revenue booking for WTP and CW on ba,com? It's certainly gone up and last time I looked was around £200 for the return.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I checked early January it was literally £200 on the nose for a return WTP to J upgrade cost in cash (as well as the Avios)
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

I've tried a dummy booking in both WTP and CW. Taxes are identical and the BA surcharge differs by exactly GBP 100 (it's 100 and 200, respectively).

What's the best way to have BA refund the overcharged fees (I've had the ticket issued in the meantime as I didn't want the Avios availability to go away).
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

I'd just add for completeness that calling back and explaining that based on dummy bookings the taxes should be identical and the YQ should differ by exactly GBP 100 didn't get me anywhere - the fares department is adamant the 304 pound increase in YQ is correct.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Is it an ex-US segment you’re changing? YQ is higher from there than it would be, for example, on the return portion of an ex-UK.

edit: see it’s LHR to JFK. Hmmm. Ask them to price up a one way or to look at their website?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
Is it an ex-US segment you’re changing? YQ is higher from there than it would be, for example, on the return portion of an ex-UK.

edit: see it’s LHR to JFK. Hmmm. Ask them to price up a one way or to look at their website?
It is indeed a return segment of an ex-US flight. I guess this may be the answer here...
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
Originally Posted by mec72
It is indeed a return segment of an ex-US flight. I guess this may be the answer here...
The ex-US YQ have gone mad! Now there's even a large difference between CW and F. That makes using a GUF on a ticket originating the US quite prohibitive and hardly worth it.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:51 pm

but if it’s an exUK return your shouldn’t be paying the exUS levels even if UuA’ing the return sector from the US.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

It's an ex-US in the sense the trip is:
JFK-MXP (AA)
LHR-JFK (BA)

All booked under BA numbers. Trying to UuA LHR-JFK.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:07 pm

It's an ex-US in the sense the trip is:
JFK-MXP (AA)
LHR-JFK (BA)

All booked under BA numbers. Trying to UuA LHR-JFK.
ah right. in that case you are paying exUS level charges.

as an example JFK-LHR rtn AA east bound and BA westbound would be $844 if in W both ways, and $1,245 with W out and J back.

So that would be about $400 (~£306) for a UuA as you have done. Tbh that indicates the cost you have been quoted is correct.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Just to give the alternative viewpoint, I upgraded the inbound portion of a UK - US return and it was 25,000 Avios plus £122.50 charges per person. This is partly why all of my travel is now booked UK - US rather than the other way round (in spite of living in the USA).
Dambus and Soupdragon62 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 6:16 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
Originally Posted by KARFA
ah right. in that case you are paying exUS level charges.

and $1,245 with W out and J back..
I paid exactly this for Mrs SD at the weekend for a trip this week , the person helping me on the Gold line said that looks expensive and would send it to the fares team for checking which I didn't dissuade her from, just in case I get a result but I think it's right.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.