CSM attitude to 'self upgraders'

Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:15 pm

This is a good reason airlines should avoid upgrades after everyone is seated. Nobody paying to fly up front wants to see the empty seat taken by someone led up from the back and seated for free.

Much easier on everyone if free upgrades are invisible.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:33 pm

I was on that flight, in Y. It wasn't even that busy; the seat next to me was free and there were plenty other free seats. I did look at upgrade costs before check-in and they were high, as there were only a couple of seats free in W (J was full).

It was an aircraft swap too as the original plane was out of action apparently. I don't know if that made things trickier for the crew.

Personally I feel that my two seats in Y trump one in W (I'm on 800ish TP with an imminent reset) but I doubt that will make the OP feel better. Put in a complaint and ask why you should pay extra for WT+ when you could just move forward yourself.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:39 pm

Why is a passenger involved in this? Reporting apparent seating problems to the crew and then talking to the person actually involved?

Good luck to the up-grader; is not getting something out of airlines what FT and many other sites are all about?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by dougzz
Regardless of career position anyone not dealing with this is really no sort of manager, and frankly if fear of complaint is their reason they’re simply not capable of a managerial role. If you believe a self upgrader is a situation a CSM can’t win, you must have a very low opinion of the people in that position.

I may be well wide of the mark but I assume a CSM would have several years experience in the cabin, albeit in other roles, and presumably have completed training.

At face value this is a tale of confrontation avoidance by someone paid to manage situations just like this.
CSM recruitment
I'm sure many here can change in, but it seems you may be well out of the mark. They might be no "senior" as you think.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
This latest post

Originally Posted by ppp909
I was on that flight, in Y. It wasn't even that busy; the seat next to me was free and there were plenty other free seats. I did look at upgrade costs before check-in and they were high, as there were only a couple of seats free in W (J was full).
contradicts the wife's assertion that

Originally Posted by hb133
'my husband tried to upgrade but was told there were no seats - the row is empty, can he sit here?' Crew said they'd ask the 'manager' and get back to her.
It seems that there were upgrade possibilities but the cost of doing so was high.

if I was the OP I'd be understandably miffed that someone just self upgrades.

if you want to travel in WT+ pay for it.

I am fine with BA giving free upgrades, even on board, but passengers just moving from one cabin to another mid flight is not on.
NoY, Often1, ppp909 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is a theft of services plain and simple.

There is no justification even if WT was sold out and WTP was empty.
NYLON Boy and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
CSM recruitment
I'm sure many here can change in, but it seems you may be well out of the mark. They might be no "senior" as you think.
Interesting thread, thank you. But seemingly the indication is experience required and management training given.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by hb133
... asking me if I'd like to sit in the cockpit!
You did not say yes?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:09 pm

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
You did not say yes?
depends if they serve champagne or not
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Whenever I see such threads my immediate thought is 'are we getting the full story'?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:51 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Sadly in many cases those who have the brass neck to self-upgrade are more likely to be the ones who would submit a complaint against the CSM for sending them packing.

It wouldn’t be terribly hard to concoct a “the CSM was incredibly rude to me when I popped up to see my partner” story, and that would result in a note in the cabin crew member’s file and a meeting with their line manager.

Particularly for those just starting their career, it may be a case of self-preservation rather than inaction - i.e. the crew will usually only choose to deal with situations they can win the battle on.
What, instead of “the customer service manager” did nothing and said it was “too much hassle” to deal with? I’m sorry but as a manager you are always going to get complaints when dealing (or not dealing) with customers. Some will be malicious, some will just come from not having the full picture and some will be justified. You can’t please all of the people all of the time! If you’re going to shy away from decision making for a quiet life, you really shouldn’t be a manager.

Last edited by IAMORGAN; Jan 26, 2020 at 9:01 pm
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:02 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
depends if they serve champagne or not
I believe they don’t but they do have an enhanced moving map.
csutter and Fatdickie like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:34 pm

Programs: QF WP
Thread has landed in the blogs
https://thegate.boardingarea.com/sel...edium=facebook
Old Jan 26, 2020, 10:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Whenever I see such threads my immediate thought is 'are we getting the full story'?
Couldn't agree more. What if the "self-upgrader" had something wrong with his original seat in WT and was moved to WT+ as service recovery? I was recently moved from WT+ to CW mid-flight (after being upgraded from WT at the gate) as my TV wasn't working even though there was a free seat in WT+. This was partly due to another flyer in WT+ having a baby on her lap so the extra seat for her would have helped her greatly and partly for service recovery.

I am not saying this was the case here, but there are more possibilities of someone asking for a free-upgrade, being told no and doing so anyway. He could have asked for an upgrade, been told no and then something else happen to warrant being moved.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 10:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Hmmm you could probably save the identity of the CSM by removing date / and or flight number
good to put accountability out there. Maybe BA will do something

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.