Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

If you could redesign the T5 Galleries First lounge.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you could redesign the T5 Galleries First lounge.....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
1. Fix the temperature issues.
2. Add outlets that actually work.
3. Add urinals for men and toilets where you don't have to touch the lid to flush. Gross.
4. Add food options that don't need a spoon to be served.

It's really not that radical.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Improve the toilets

lots more plug sockets that work

more seats for solo travellers

low dividers between back to back seats to improve privacy and eliminate head clash

absolute and implemented ban on people using speaker phones / playing videos unless in a sealed off booth etc

more menus on tables

order food using an app
Misco60 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thre are many ways in which Galleries First could be improved to offer the level of service and comfort that is taken for granted in the T3 lounges, but I'd be happy if they would just sort out the washrooms. I'm sick of having to queue for a wee while someone is shaving or changing their clothes or just generally faffing around in the cubicles. Please, BA, just install toilets that are fit for purpose: if you don't know how, then just ask AY or QF.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:33 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
For me the easy win is the champagne bar and business centre – completely underutilised, either convert to more general seating (perhaps with workstation booths in a portion of the current business centre) and/or reinvigorate the Gold Bar to a manned cocktail bar (probably wouldn’t happen for cost reasons). It should also be relatively easy to isolate this area for refurbishment while keeping the rest of the lounge open, albeit at the expense of a lot of noise pollution.

I think the food offer has been improving, there are often nice deli style options (salads, hummus etc) which I think could be expanded quite easily. The hot options veer to canteen style but aren't terrible (I still try to avoid them). Some kind of "food theatre" type offering should be achievable if BA would like to invest in it (e.g. a rotating hot dish option as found in many modern office catering facilities run by Baxter Storey).

And agree with everyone on toilet facilities – they are so far below what is customary in a good (or even average) lounge these days. CX sets the standard here to my mind.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 5:08 am

Programs: BA GGL
The new premium lounge in Helsinki is a decent template in my opinion. I like the dining options at the far end, and although I have not yet had time to properly enjoy it, the oval shaped bar as you come in looks great. I have no idea about the relative footprint nor footfall of HEL vs T5GF, but I would assume that London gets many more people but also is much larger.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 5:23 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
Originally Posted by snuffi
The new premium lounge in Helsinki is a decent template in my opinion. I like the dining options at the far end, and although I have not yet had time to properly enjoy it, the oval shaped bar as you come in looks great. I have no idea about the relative footprint nor footfall of HEL vs T5GF, but I would assume that London gets many more people but also is much larger.
Only problem with the premium lounge in HEL is the lack of natural light. At least T5 F has plenty of that - otherwise I agree, it is a great template
Old Jan 27, 2020, 6:24 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Fix the toilets so they don't feel like an NHS WC.
Menus on every table and someone visible to order from
fix the toilets
Is a cocktail bar like in HKG lounges pushing my luck?!
fix the toilets.
TGLoyalty likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 6:33 am

also a more dedicated "quiet zone" would be good - again very like what the AA Flagship lounges do - a room with more private "cocoon" type chairs/loungers for solo travellers, with calls / loud talk banned in that zone - which allows quiet email / sitting quietly / even getting a bit of sleep - which is something GF is notably bad for - it really does not offer much for travellers on connections who might need to catch up on a bit of sleep! Personally, I am not fussed about that as I tend to depart ex-LHR, but I can see it's a bit of a miss for connecting traffic

something like that could be easily accommodated as a dual purpose 'quiet zone' / solo traveller hang-out in place of some of the outdated workstation space
Old Jan 27, 2020, 6:52 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
In my Gold days I merely tolerated T5 GF, it lost the opportunity to make my travel start in the most relaxing and comfortable manner (eg. as per CCR, T3 CX F and Biz, T3 AA F as was).
GF doesn't do service, doesn't do single traveller spaces, doesn't do well differentiated spaces (with the exception of the GF terrace on a cool but clear day), doesn't do good wifi and power. It doesn't even do showers.
Sure, there has to be high footfall given it is a Golds/OWE lounge, but the design doesn't cater to the basics or make interesting zones.

Maybe the design solution is to actually design it to what it is, a unique high volume large scale wait space needing to deliver for connecting passengers and starting passengers, the vast majority of whom are regulars and frequent flyers. Not a scaled up version of Galleries F branding.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:16 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I would nail a HUGE sign over the door saying.

No Facetime
No Skype
No occupying more than one seat at a time
And No we do not wish to be party to your business bellowed into you phone.

in several languages. I have not yet decided which.

Over the reception I'd hammer
"I am not a Dragon, but try getting past this desk without entitlement and you are toast"

It is probably as well that such refinements will never be be within my power.
pythonisman and Gastrocnemius like this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
That's fine, so long as BA finds some extra space, and installs an alarm that goes off when somebody tries to use a toilet without sitting down.
sorry, gender neutrality means accepting everyone, not just those you don’t mind so much.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

in several languages. I have not yet decided which.
American.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
Great Theead. Looking at the original publicity made me think about the cohesion of the original concept that I think has been lost.

Now and then photos would really show this.

Must do:
1. More toilets/less unloved Novotel aesthetic about them.
2. Work Zone to be conf call corner with appropriate privacy/soundproofing for about 20 simultaneous phone calls/skype sessions.
3. Get rid of rows of high backed chairs facing a noisy chiller - looks like a retirement home but with added noise and heat.
4. Quiet/Snooze Zone to replace Champagne Bar as no need for natural light.

Nice to have:
5. Design coherence. Would love Paul Smith touches to liven it up and yet still be British 'Clubby'.
6. Restore/Replace the live wall between GF and CCR
7. Restore/Replace the Cloud by the escalators
8. Don't put tables around the servery counter as it doesn't smell nice there!
9. Cut out the pop up displays and bright advertising screens. You don't see them in the Pier F.

In an ideal world it would be Pier F but done to UK style. However Pier F has more in common with CCR than GF so something between CX J and F would be nice. Agree with whoever mentioned CX as reference for Toilets/Showers. The Cabanas in The Wing F are the best I have seen anywhere.

Last edited by Robespierre; Jan 27, 2020 at 7:49 am
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:53 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Schwann
American.
Dear, to my certain knowledge - this is not a language.
RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:58 am

More toilets and a power point for every seat really would be nice to have.

I wouldn't mind seeing Kahlua back on the spirits, but I'll get over it if I know I can charge my electronics when I sit down!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.