Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why is BA CW/F meal service so slow (genuine question, not trolling)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is BA CW/F meal service so slow (genuine question, not trolling)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Only1BD Why did you think that First is better than the CS on your return flight? Because the CS are newer seats and the first seats aren’t.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Bellerina
Seems to me the services reflect the dining experiences in the respective home countries. Lived in London for years and really enjoyed the relaxed pace of meals when out in the evenings with friends/dates. Two hour table bookings in the U.K. when in the US restaurants two hours is slow service. And I get why US tables do that for tips turnover, but I think in general it just makes the US process a bit rushed. Went out to a nice restaurant last night to catch up with friends and paid the bill after barely an hour. Not much chance to catch up.
I do like the dine on demand option in F on BA. I like the idea of an express menu.
just need to order more than one course, and multiple rounds of drinks. cant imagine any reputable US restaurant would try to hustle you out if you kept buying...
Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:06 pm

On Air Asia I got my pre- booked meal 10 minutes after takeoff on one flight and on the second one it just took 15 minutes.

Air Asia is a low cost carrier but seems geared up to efficient in-flight service.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:14 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by Greenpen
On Air Asia I got my pre- booked meal 10 minutes after takeoff on one flight and on the second one it just took 15 minutes.

Air Asia is a low cost carrier but seems geared up to efficient in-flight service.
But if you want to buy a drink with your meal you typically have to wait until the trolley passes by sometime later. Air Asia is geared up for efficiency, sometimes it benefits the passengers, sometimes it does not.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:29 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
On AA J vs BA J, agree that AA appears to be faster in general. I expect the use of trolley's aids AA, it also appears to be a simpler and less sophisticated service than BA's. I think both have their advantages and can see that on different occasions, one will win out over the other. AA seem keen to give you cans and miniatures in case you need more (and save bothering them), whereas with BA you may need to prompt.

In terms of the food, I find the AA food has gone downhill and is poorer than BA's. I am not a big ice cream fan. On my last flight dessert choices were coffee panna cotta or coffee ice cream, which reminded me a bit of Quality Street remnants or the days of bmi's egg or egg and muchroom sandwiches.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by flatlander
BA could have best of both worlds in J and F, by adding an "express" option in J. They can already stuff you full pretty speedily in F if you specifically ask for it.
BA does have an express option. It is noticeably less food than the normal dinner (no main course). But, in my experience, it has usually been very fast.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: NIL
it's always slower on BA. Inconsistent yes. I've had services ranging from 1h15 min to 3h (from wheels up to having dessert tray cleared) on BA in the past year. It's definitely quicker when orders are taken on the ground as the galley crew can plan better.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I am with those who like the slower pace on a day flight and the faster pace on a night flight. But it’s clearly a cultural issue more than a service issue with AA following US restaurant culture and BA following UK restaurant culture. As a “when in Rome” sort of person, that’s why I like flying to a foreign place on its national carrier, all else being equal.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
From what I have noticed they seat load, menus, water and amenity kits all of which we are not allowed to do.
The CSD/CSM who is part of the CW team is at the door for boarding leaving 3 crew to hand out all of the above plus welcome drinks to 48 customers on a B777-200.
Interested to read that you can't seat load. I was on a return US flight last week which was delayed by 2 hours so didn't depart until gone midnight. When I got to my CW seat the menu, water and amenity kit were all waiting for me. I thought this was a good idea!
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:42 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
It also depends on how long the day flight is. If you're going to the west coast, of course it's fine to have a relaxed service. But on a shorter flight to the east coast, I like to get a good 2-hour nap on the way, which is hard if the first meal takes 3 hours. East Coast flights back I only ask for a cuppa on waking up, otherwise it's sleep-sleep-sleep so I wouldn't know.

I remember an SFO-LHR flight a couple of years ago on a 747 where I would have liked to get to sleep reasonably quickly but the lower deck service was horribly slow. I don't think the trays were cleared until 4 hours after take off. I was in a foul mood for other reasons which didn't help but I remember being really frustrated by it.

Last edited by alex67500; Jan 27, 2020 at 4:52 am
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:49 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by aristoph
it is a cultural thing. Same In US restaurants. I’m married to an American and nothing winds him up more than a) slow service and b) a dirty plate left in front of him (even if I’m still eating). It took me a while to get used to it but maybe now I’m acclimated, as our cousins say ;-)
Anyone who attempts to remove a plate from the table until everyone has finished eating is stopped at once by me.

As others have pointed out - you cannot win this one. Personally a meal service rushed out like the one that the OP describes implies a crew that just wants done so that they can get back to Candy Crush or Fortnite. What some describe as "slow", others describe as leisurely. Some take time over their food, others gobble. I should state that I am used to eating in countries where dinner is not taken at 6.00pm and where people treat it as an occasion rather than just a refuelling stop.
Dan72, flygirl68 and alex67500 like this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by GrahamClarke
Interested to read that you can't seat load. I was on a return US flight last week which was delayed by 2 hours so didn't depart until gone midnight. When I got to my CW seat the menu, water and amenity kit were all waiting for me. I thought this was a good idea!
Sometimes it could be a good idea but it isn’t our service standard, which route was this?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I flew LHR-HKG in F last night. Only 7 pax. I asked to be served promptly and service was indeed very fast. I go through the main an hour after takeoff (canapes, starter, main). I must add that food was original and exceptional. I am one that likes BA F food much better than CX F food because of its taste and originality. Wines were mediocre.
Frankly a perfect flight. I was asleep after 1.5h, got close to 8 hours of sleep and a nice breakfast to finish my movie.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 5:35 am

Never, ever on a full CW load, the service has taken longer than 2hrs20minutes.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 6:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I took the earlier flight to Miami in AA J also sat in the mini cabin at the front.

I was surprised that the meal service was started so soon as I’d not long eaten in the lounge. I was told that a lot of people had connected and wanted to eat quickly then sleep,or work hence the speedy service. I was told whilst they don’t officially do dine on demand if you weren’t hungry mention that when orders are taken and they would keep the food aside for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.