Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transporting A Kilt

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Transporting A Kilt

Apologies if this is an obvious question, I'm an infrequent flyer!

I'll be travelling to the US and back in April and will be taking a kilt with me. Can I just stick it in a suit carrier and take it on as hand luggage, and if so will if be hung up anywhere or would it just go above my seat?

Thanks.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Mikey07

I'll be travelling to the US and back in April and will be taking a kilt with me. Can I just stick it in a suit carrier and take it on as hand luggage, and if so will if be hung up anywhere or would it just go above my seat?

Thanks.

Definitely above your seat. At the waist probably most common.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:39 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Mikey07

Thanks.
Which cabin are you travelling in? I took two kilts to Toronto (and back) in First a few months ago. No issues putting them both in the wardrobe. They were in kilt/suit carriers. If you’re not in First or Club then I’m sure the crew would be OK finding space for you, just explain they’re valuable and it would be ideal if they can hang rather than being placed in an overhead locker.
lcylocal likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Suit carriers are never an issue and crew will hang it for you if at all possible.

Just remember to pack your sgian-dubh and kilt pin in your hold bag to avoid issues at security.
EDIwanderer and lcylocal like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold
This is what you need! Have taken mine on many flights- follow the guidance with regards to rolling with the pleat, hang up when you arrive and it will be perfect

One point to note- if taking it as carry-on then consider removing any kilt pin as it may not pass security.

https://www.thekiltstore.com/1637219...ck_in_now.aspx

ScotInAfrica
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Brilliant, thanks everyone. Would that count as my hand luggage or can I take it as an extra item?

I'm in economy and booked using Avios if that makes any difference. So not First or Business!
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
As long as your second piece of hand baggage is smaller and will go under your seat you should be ok.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:31 am

Programs: BA, Virgin, Hilton Honours, Hyatt
No problem at all in First or Business.

WT should also be fine...the crew are always happy to hang stuff up in my experience. I flew DEL > LHR on Sat and my suit went into a hanging space that had some crew kit in.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ScotInAfrica
This is what you need! Have taken mine on many flights- follow the guidance with regards to rolling with the pleat, hang up when you arrive and it will be perfect

One point to note- if taking it as carry-on then consider removing any kilt pin as it may not pass security.

https://www.thekiltstore.com/1637219...ck_in_now.aspx

ScotInAfrica
I second all of the above!
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

May I ask why you're taking a kilt?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As it’s basically a skirt ( 😉 ) can’t you just fold up and put in a case, follow by a light steam via an iron at the other end?
nancypants and LTN Phobia like this.

Last edited by Swanhunter; Jan 26, 2020 at 8:19 am
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
As it’s basically a skirt ( 😉 ) can’t you just fold up and put in a case, follow by a light steam via an iron at the other end?
ha! Not biting... but on the practicalities, a kilt is a big, heavy bit of gear. Yes, you can fold it up in a case, but it takes up a lot of room!
argonath likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by HIDDY
May I ask why you're taking a kilt?
To attract members of the appropriate sex at formal events?

That seems to be the main use to me
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
When I travel with mine I just put it in my standard hand luggage, but the kilt/jacket/shoes take up the whole suitcase, so my wife has to take any other clothes I wish to take.

As an aside, my bag has been sent to secondary screening before at security in EDI because “We noticed you had a kilt and wanted to make sure there wasn’t a sharp pin or sgian dubh inside” There never is because I don’t travel with my sharp objects and it is frustrating to have to wait 20 minutes behind all the other suitcase taken to secondary screening with to liquids inside just to be told not to do something that you hadn’t even done!
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:25 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
You could of course wear it I for one would be impressed
HIDDY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.