Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Best credit card for BA Avios - Premium AMEX?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.

I had a BA Amex premium for a number of years, earnt the 241s and a significant amount of Avios until our corporate fianaciers clamped down on non corporate AMEX use at which point I ditched it a couple of years back.

Fast forward to now and, thanks to a couple of particularly sticky situation where slow payments of expenses back to AMEX had led to late fees that have damaged peoples credit rating, which the company was then found liable for, there's less push on this.

So I'm thinking of getting the BA Amex back, but wonder g what else is out there that the wise amongst you use, HSBC Premier World Elite for example springs to mind as I have a Premier account.... AMEX platinum?

It's unlikely I'll be using it to book BA flights via BA as there's still a huge focus on using AMEX GBT for flights, also I seem to be leveraging AA and Qatar tin for a number of routes. Typically flying around 100k miles, mainly with OW carries a year.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
As long as you can earn enough Avios each year to get real value from the 241 voucher, then stick with BAPP. Looking at your flying pattern you will be.

This assumes you have a partner but no kids (or an odd number of kids!). The value of the BAPP card for a solo traveller or someone with one child aged 2+ is not great, and obviously if you have 2 kids then you need to be generating 2 x 241 vouchers each year, and earning enough Avios, to make the most of us (your partner would need their own card).

If you're not using the voucher, I wouldn't bother. Anyone spending less than £40,000 per year on the BAPP and NOT using the 241 should switch to the Amex Rewards Credit Card. This is free for life and earns 1 Membership Rewards point per £1. These can go 1:1 into BA BUT also into lots of other things, so you have flexibility.

(The £40,000 number comes from this - an Avios is worth 1p, arguably. The BAPP card fee is £195. As the BAPP card earns 1.5 per £1 and the Amex Rewards card earn 1 per £1, £40k is the point at which paying the £195 BAPP fee is worthwhile for someone not using the 241. Even then, unless you are SUBSTANTIALLY over £40k I'd stick with Amex Rewards due to the points flexibilitiy.)

The top of this page - https://www.headforpoints.com/top-posts/ - lists 13 articles of mine which run through your options in more detail.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raffles
As long as you can earn enough Avios each year to get real value from the 241 voucher, then stick with BAPP. Looking at your flying pattern you will be.

This assumes you have a partner but no kids (or an odd number of kids!). The value of the BAPP card for a solo traveller or someone with one child aged 2+ is not great, and obviously if you have 2 kids then you need to be generating 2 x 241 vouchers each year, and earning enough Avios, to make the most of us (your partner would need their own card).

If you're not using the voucher, I wouldn't bother. Anyone spending less than £40,000 per year on the BAPP and NOT using the 241 should switch to the Amex Rewards Credit Card. This is free for life and earns 1 Membership Rewards point per £1. These can go 1:1 into BA BUT also into lots of other things, so you have flexibility.

(The £40,000 number comes from this - an Avios is worth 1p, arguably. The BAPP card fee is £195. As the BAPP card earns 1.5 per £1 and the Amex Rewards card earn 1 per £1, £40k is the point at which paying the £195 BAPP fee is worthwhile for someone not using the 241. Even then, unless you are SUBSTANTIALLY over £40k I'd stick with Amex Rewards due to the points flexibilitiy.)

The top of this page - https://www.headforpoints.com/top-posts/ - lists 13 articles of mine which run through your options in more detail.
Great stuff thanks. Have a Mrs and 4 kids so it tended to be leave the kids with grandparents and use the 2 for 1 or a dad and daughter trip and leave the Mrs at home :-)

Will have a read and go from there....
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Raffles

Very useful post thank you @Raffles. I regrettably failed to use my first 2-4-1, however I have 2 more currently active. I fortunately do spend more than £40k, so I don't feel so bad. I guess, given I plan on using the 2-4-1 on something quite avios heavy I'll make up for it.

I did recently look at the gold, and although I considered flexibility, whilst I'm still 99% of the time flying into or out of London, I may as well continue pushing BA.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Helpful post there from Raffles.

Over the years I've been with and without the BAPP for periods of time and currently have no card but 2 vouchers. Without doubt the vouchers are the prime attraction but, mainly due to me being increasingly reluctant to fork out the fees (especially to and from the US) and the difficulty finding reward availability when and to where I actually want to go, I've had rather limited value from them. I think it's unlikely that I'll apply for the card again in the future if things stay as they are.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 3:52 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
When you say you ditched a couple of years back, does that mean 24 months ago or not. You only qualify for the BAPP sign up bonus if you haven’t held the card for that long, so you should wait to that point. With the sign up bonus the BAPP is virtually a no brainer for the first year.

Or if you aren’t close to 24 months, get the card for your wife, with a supplementary for you business spend. Or together you could follow Raffles’ advanced strategy for several cards and sign up bonuses (because the bonus restrictions are nuanced): https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/0...gn-up-bonuses/
tuonopepper likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Great advice thanks.

The 241 is something I need to give thought to, the availability to use it and fees mean it's not a given. I did manage to use most of them when I got them but did end up 'wasting' at least 1 on SH.

The sign up bonus on HSBC Elite Mcard and renewal bonus make that look attractive right now as an alternative. The lounge access to as a lot of my SH is no longer BA.

Decisions decisions...
Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
is it correct that you cant benefit from the 2-4-1 credit cards when you dont have a UK residence?

im living in Germany and searched quite some time but i havent found any BA related CC.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nephoi
is it correct that you cant benefit from the 2-4-1 credit cards when you dont have a UK residence?

im living in Germany and searched quite some time but i havent found any BA related CC.
As they're UK issued cards I wouldn't have thought you'd be eligible unless you had a UK address you could gain credit at.
Nephoi likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
As they're UK issued cards I wouldn't have thought you'd be eligible unless you had a UK address you could gain credit at.
*cries in German*
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I would consider Capital on Tap. This is now my goto card when abroad (no forex fees) and when in the UK and I can’t use Amex. The earning rate if 1 Avios per £1 which I believe is as good as it gets for non Amex spend. There is a £95.00 annual fee but there are some generous sign up bonuses. I think Head for Points were offering 15,000 if you went via their link or code.
tuonopepper likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Not only that, but if you did manage to open a card based on a UK address/presence, you'll need to switch your EC account to the UK if it's not already there. It's easy to do, but until it's done any Avios won't transfer over.
tuonopepper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.