Passport checks at ACE?

Old Jan 24, 20, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP
Passport checks at ACE?

Flew into ACE from LGW last week on BA and there were no passport checks on the way in. { This has only ever happened to us once before a few years ago going into Spain. } At the time I figured maybe short staffed, and London not the highest risk place for illegal immigrants.

Flying out today, no passport checks by Spanish border police on the BA flight back to LGW either?

Anyone else had the same experience / has something changed recently?
Old Jan 24, 20, 11:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Difficult to say anything here without drawing attention to the problem, but essentially Spain has the same obligations as the rest of Schengen, it may not always have the right resources in place. Your experiences are not unusual.
Old Jan 24, 20, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold
On our recent trip, there was nothing coming into ACE, but we were checked when departing

Last edited by darthlemsip; Jan 24, 20 at 1:07 pm
Old Jan 24, 20, 12:20 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
I go to ACE on a yearly basis, in the 10 years I could count with one hand the number of times I have had my passport checked at ACE coming in from the UK.

ACE take a “meh” approach to border control
Old Jan 24, 20, 10:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
2 years ago was just like that when we went in. A bit surprised but hey ho!
Old Jan 25, 20, 12:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club
Originally Posted by DorsetKnob View Post
2 years ago was just like that when we went in. A bit surprised but hey ho!
Could it be that they use APIS data to decide whether to staff the border? On the whole the majority of pax would be EU passport holders but if they suddenly had say a group of non-EU pax on a flight they could decide to staff it?

Not an acceptable way to manage a border of course, but just wondered if this was what was happening behind the scenes.
Old Jan 25, 20, 3:14 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
It wasn't so long ago that immigration officers in Spain (and France and Italy) would just wave through people holding passports from countries such as the US, Canada and Australia without even opening them, only looking at the cover. This would cause a slight delay when leaving the Schengen area at a German or Swiss airport.
Old Jan 25, 20, 6:20 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH GLD, IHG PLT
On my last 10 or so ACE trips there has always been a chap sat in the police box on arrival, but they have always just waved everyone through aftering looking at the passports from about 15 feet away.
Old Jan 25, 20, 7:48 am

I'm an ex pat who lives in ace and the passport checks are very laid back at ace
Old Jan 25, 20, 8:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond
I was not checked entering mainland Spain from Gibraltar as a pedestrian.
Old Jan 25, 20, 9:16 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
I can’t remember the last time my passport was properly checked (by a human) in Spain. Most have waved me through just looking at the fact I have a burgundy passport in my hand let alone checking the photo is me.

Last edited by TGLoyalty; Jan 25, 20 at 3:00 pm
Old Jan 25, 20, 9:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It will be properly checked in MAD, BCN, BIO, AGP, PMI and quite a number of other airports. Many now have e-gates.

Some of the bucket and spade airports? Not so much.
ReadystEDIgo likes this.
Old Jan 25, 20, 9:30 am

Programs: BA Blue
We've been going to Lanzarote multiple times a year for the last 11 years and we've never once had to stop and hand over our passports. Last time we went through in September was, admittedly, the most lax I've ever known it where I didn't even bother opening my passport and was waved through. They care not.

That said, it doesn't beat the time we arrived when there was some big football match on and there was no border control on. We were most perplexed to walk straight into the baggage reclaim hall via the stairs down from the domestic arrivals route.

Only in Spain.
Old Jan 28, 20, 3:18 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BAEC GCH (currently), AA LTG
Originally Posted by Jambon87 View Post
I go to ACE on a yearly basis, in the 10 years I could count with one hand the number of times I have had my passport checked at ACE coming in from the UK.
I can count up to 31 with one hand, and that's just using fingers and thumb, and assuming that zero is required!

(Smart a$$/ar$e mode off!)

rb211.
Old Jan 29, 20, 8:05 am

Programs: *A G, OW S, ST Elite.
It has also happened to me several times at NAP. All the more interesting as I've been arriving on TK from IST.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: