Crew baggage in overhead lockers

Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:24 am

That’s false, apparently. If BA enforced their own hand baggage regs and offered CC somewhere in CRC to stow their bags when on standby, this would solve the majority of these issues. Apparently. Don’t shoot the messenger.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Because you want the crew to remove the bag from the space above your seat..... and put it in the space above an obviously less important passenger.
Again, could you point out where I said that? Specifically the point where I said I wanted it moved to above another passengers seat?

Or are you jumping to conclusions and making assumptions?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Again, could you point out where I said that? Specifically the point where I said I wanted it moved to above another passengers seat?

Or are you jumping to conclusions and making assumptions?
If the crew uses any overhead bin, a passenger will find it inconvenient. Just so long as it is not you.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:45 am

If the crew uses any overhead bin, a passenger will find it inconvenient. Just so long as it is not you.
Gotcha, jumping to conclusions and making assumptions it is.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:50 am

Gotcha, jumping to conclusions and making assumptions it is.
You have no idea where the crew could put their bags, nor do you care, so long as you dont have to see it.
ls17031 and BlueThroughCrimp like this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Aside from personal disagreements, which could get the Thread locked ...

As a ‘regular user of Row 1 on s/h, and with no ability to stow my/our bags under the seat in front [as noted earlier], I do get somewhat irritated when seeking overhead space. It’s only our skill in boarding swiftly/efficiently within Group 1 that has [usually] ensured we don’t have to ‘swim against the tide’ when disembarking. You could be surprised to see how nimbly OAPs can move when there’ a need!

But it isn’t a Club Europe experience ... it’s all rather tacky.

Last edited by T8191; Jan 24, 2020 at 10:59 am
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:57 am

You have no idea where the crew could put their bags, nor do you care, so long as you dont have to see it.
The best tip I can give you (other than not to be offended by everything on other peoples behalf) is that when youre in a hole, stop digging.

You are making wild assumptions that arent even close to the truth (Ill tell you this though, I do ask at the end of boarding if there is anywhere else they can put their bags, and am always polite - that does not always apply to the crew with their responses).

Sorry if that doesnt fit in to what youre visualising, you can apologise when youre ready
Crampedin13A and SkyTeem like this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by T8191
Aside from personal disagreements, which could get the Thread locked ...

As a regular user of Row 1 on s/h, and with no ability to stow my/our bags under the seat in front [as noted earlier], I do get somewhat irritated when seeking overhead space. Its only our skill in boarding swiftly/efficiently within Group 1 that has [usually] ensured we dont have to swim against the tide when disembarking. You could be surprised to see how nimbly OAPs can move when there a need!
As an observation American Airlines seems to have it right in this area by a) labelling the overheads according to passenger category (e.g. MCE bags only), and b) keeping the first class overhead lockers shut while keeping a good eye out. Not sure they really need 9 boarding groups though...
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by firstlight
As an observation American Airlines seems to have it right in this area by a) labelling the overheads according to passenger category (e.g. MCE bags only), and b) keeping the first class overhead lockers shut while keeping a good eye out. Not sure they really need 9 boarding groups though...
What I have found with AA (and a number of other airlines) though is that they dont actively enforce it - people still walk through the cabin and chuck there bags in the bins at the front and keep walking
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:18 am

Better the person paying the least than the person paying the most. It is part of the price.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:20 am

What I have found with AA (and a number of other airlines) though is that they dont actively enforce it - people still walk through the cabin and chuck there bags in the bins at the front and keep walking
This applies to basically all cabin-based rules. First class lav is for first class only, for example. That announcement always triggers an economy passenger to walk to the front.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:44 am

...I do ask at the end of boarding if there is anywhere else they can put their bags, and am always polite - that does not always apply to the crew with their responses).
The irritated response of the crew should be your first clue that you are engaging in magical thinking by suggesting that the crew should simply make their bags disappear.

After five posts, we are still waiting for that mythical storage place that you think exists.

Perhaps your posts should be moved to the DYKWIA thread.....
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Has anything changed since the last time this was discussed couple of weeks ago?

i guess we are due another BA seat selection fee scam thread any minute now plus another what’s the best lounge in T3
HIDDY, nancypants and JayeJ like this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:47 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Because cabin crew have nothing else to do during boarding.....
I understand that, and I wouldn't have used sarcasm myself, but when I have been left with no choice but to have row 1 - I never select the first row myself for this reason - and find crew bags aboove row 1 it is very frustrating. CC should know better that front row bulkhead seats and exit rows don't have anywhere else to put their luggage. The response of the CC was unacceptable in my view. I'm not one of the 'The customer is always right' brigade, but row 1 passengers will always be business class passengers, and not only that usually they will be the most high in status. As a Gold, I feel that I cannot use one of the perks of the status because on too many occasions CC have had their bags above row 1, often on both sides. So I will deliberately move myself to row 2 or behind because it is less hassle. Now, I'm sorry, but that's not how it's meant to work. I shouldn't be accommodating those that are paid to work on the plane unnecessarily like this. And if I had a sarcy comment that I could just place my bag further back, then I'd have to bite my lip not to return with one.

Some might say it's not that much of a hardship to move a row or two back to get things on arrival, but it's not that simple anymore. More and more on flights landing at LHR people are up out of their seats getting their bags down while the plane is still moving, and it's not always the case that anything is said. I have told passengers to stop putting my safety at risk by pulling down their rollaboard while the plane is still moving. The CSD was looking directly at the situation and said nothing. It's rare that it is that bad, but it is all too common that all passengers are up out of their seats as soon as they hear the crosscheck message. It's hard work then for anyone in row 1 to swim upstream like a salmon to get their bags.

I get it that crew need to have their bags within reach, that they have to swap shoes, store hats etc. I really do. But the language of "You can put your bags further back, sir" is wrong, and if I were that CC's line manager their would be a meeting with no biscuits. Why can't the crew put their things above say row 4 or 5? That way no one has to be a salmon.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: UA Gold, AS, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
I appreciate the intelligent thoughts many of the posters put into this thread, on both sides. Not so much the name calling, which isn't helpful at all. I've felt the same as the OP before, not because I felt entitled to specific bin space or inconvenienced, but because of the trickle effect that happens and extends boarding and deplaning afterwards. I'd love it if the FAs had a dedicated space to put their luggage. It's not realistic on many planes, especially given how airlines try to cram as many seats in as possible. Ultimately the airlines create this inefficient situation; people are just reacting and trying to make do.
strickerj and mctaste like this.

Last edited by mafan812; Jan 24, 2020 at 11:59 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.