Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Pass--AVML?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Boarding Pass--AVML?

greetings from T5 and a rather busy first wing today.

on my boarding card just below my name is "AVML"

havent noticed this before, but what COULD it possibly mean?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:24 am

Did you order a special meal? That's normally the code for the Asian Vegetarian MeaL.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by VSLover
greetings from T5 and a rather busy first wing today.

on my boarding card just below my name is "AVML"

havent noticed this before, but what COULD it possibly mean?
Could it possibly be that you pre-ordered a Asian Vegetarian Meal? Not sure why this would show up on the BP though
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:28 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Special meals and pre-booked meals often show up as these 4-letter acronyms on paper BPs
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:29 am
Original Poster

AH! i did indeed. first time ordering a special meal w BA so that is indeed the meal i ordered.

problem solved! but it is weird to print on a boarding pass no?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by VSLover
but it is weird to print on a boarding pass no?
To me, it seems perfectly sensible to print special service information somewhere handy that allows rapid identification of the passenger to whom it relates, like a boarding pass.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
To me, it seems perfectly sensible to print special service information somewhere handy that allows rapid identification of the passenger to whom it relates, like a boarding pass.
For who's benefit and who would not have access to that information via an alternative method? Nope, don't see the purpose, especially if only selectively on paper printed boarding passes
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:39 am
Original Poster

fair point. i guess i am just more appreciative of the BA boarding cards which are quite stark in comparison to say, an American Airlines boarding card which has endless non-sense! :P
Old Jan 24, 2020, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by gw76
For who's benefit and who would not have access to that information via an alternative method?
Crew, primarily. The boarding pass is a quick and easy carrier of information like this. If there's a seating issue, for example, the first question is always a request to see the passengers' boarding passes to check the seat numbers. Crew also have access to that infomation via alternative methods, but they're still typically neither quick nor easy.
flygirl68 and dddc like this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 5:32 am

It has been helpful a few times when we are actually in the cabin holding the trays, and people have moved around a bit, swapping seats, to ascertain who has and who has not ordered a special meal. Believe it or not some people forget that they have, or forget which meal they ordered.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Crew, primarily. The boarding pass is a quick and easy carrier of information like this. If there's a seating issue, for example, the first question is always a request to see the passengers' boarding passes to check the seat numbers. Crew also have access to that infomation via alternative methods, but they're still typically neither quick nor easy.
I've had the odd flight where my VLML hasn't been loaded yet it's appeared on the manifest. Crew in all cases have been great but somewhat pushed in WT to check the manifest during service. Showing my itinerary or boarding pass has been easier. They've usually found me an alternative to the meaty/fishy bits and apologised for something that wasn't really their fault.
konagirl2 and flygirl68 like this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I like it being there. I know at check in that my meal request is OK up to that point without needing to check with the check-in agent.
Also seeing it I am less worried about VLML/VGML mix ups.
konagirl2, flygirl68 and GadgetGal like this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Presumably it also helps identify the passenger to the crew when boarding. Putting a face to a name.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
I find that having the special meal code printed on my aoding pass, along with WHCR
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
I find that having the special meal code printed on my aoding pass ( along with WHCR) is a quick and useful way to prove to Cabin crew that you did actually pre-order certain services/meals. epecially when youve lost cell signal and cannot get to your emails
konagirl2, flygirl68 and Jimmie76 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.